• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Picks 55, 85, and 88

AU-panther

As everyone knows we have 4 picks inside the top 100, picks 24, 55, 85, and 88.  After that our next pick is in the 5th round.  Personally I lose a lot of faith in finding starters at that point in the draft, so I think the first 3 rounds are key for us. 

Also if we know who we can get in the second and third that might help us decide what to go after in the first.

All the discussion seems to be what we will or should do at 24.  My question is who do you want or expect at the next three picks?  Don't even consider who you want at 24.  What are the best players you think are going to be available at 55, 85, and 88?

1st - CB or OL seems to be the play for me.  WR, TE, Safety, DE all seem like a reach unless a top of their position guy falls (Ridley, Davenport, Derwin James, etc.), or too early in the case of TE. 

2nd  - See above...WR, TE, Safety, leftover DE.  RB also enters the fold but probably left for...

3rd Rounders - Whatever you got left from above. Feel like we see a RB in the 3rd with the depth.  

• Also, could easily see 1/2 being defensive selections, with every other pick being offense 
  • Ideally for me, we leave the Top 100 with a new starting CB, Safety, #2 TE, and some form of DE/OG/RB/WR

I no longer see Reid, S, at 24.  I am starting to see a CB, where we are sure to get an impact starter.  (Alexander, Oliver, Hughes, Jackson---all become our #1 CB.)  I will go with Jaire Alexander, but we could trade back and grab a Hughes, for example, and move back up for a WR in the second--but since we are not doing trades, I will stay in my lane.

In the second round, I am feeling Bates, the S from Wake.  You heard it here first.

In the third round, I am seeing RB Penny unless Chubb falls.  (What does this mean for CAP?)

Finally, the wildcard pick is the last pick in the third---we really need a TE, but TE is not the Hurney way.  I think a WR will drop to us, like Cain from Clemson.  We take him, cut Russell Sheperd. 

In the fifth round, we take Adams, C from the Wolfpack.

In the sixth round, we grab TE Durham Smythe. (Not feeling the TE position)

In the seventh round,  we take a backup QB Ferguson from Memphis and Ito Smith (RB) for special teams.

Predicting trades:

Day One:
#24 and our sixth rounder to Jacksonville for their first and a third.  We draft Jaire Alexander, CB  at end of first round.

Day Two:

• Trade:  Bradberry and a seventh rounder to Buffalo for a fourth rounder.
  • Trade: Second and fourth to move up in second to take WR Anthony Miller

Day three:

• Trade:  Fifth and Third to move up in third to take Kyzir White, S.

With the other third rounder, draft Penny, RB.

I’ve hada few bev’rages... but you just traded Bradberry in both the 1st &2nd rounds... I know I’m drunk but your math hurts my head....

28 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Predicting trades:

Day One:
#24 and our sixth rounder to Jacksonville for their first and a third.  We draft Jaire Alexander, CB  at end of first round.

Day Two:

Day three:

I’ve hada few bev’rages... but you just traded Bradberry in both the 1st &2nd rounds... I know I’m drunk but your math hurts my head.... nothin but love, nahmean?

36 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Predicting trades:

Day One:

Day Two:

Day three:

We’re not trading James.

1 hour ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

1st - CB or OL seems to be the play for me.  WR, TE, Safety, DE all seem like a reach unless a top of their position guy falls (Ridley, Davenport, Derwin James, etc.), or too early in the case of TE. 

2nd  - See above...WR, TE, Safety, leftover DE.  RB also enters the fold but probably left for...

3rd Rounders - Whatever you got left from above. Feel like we see a RB in the 3rd with the depth.  

• Also, could easily see 1/2 being defensive selections, with every other pick being offense 
  • Ideally for me, we leave the Top 100 with a new starting CB, Safety, #2 TE, and some form of DE/OG/RB/WR

Spot on. Value at 24 is going to be corner (Alexander, Hughes, Jackson, Oliver) and o-line (Hernandez, Price, Wynn) Any of these players are better overall prospects than any TE or safety, except for Derwin James. 

With the amount of QBs going at the top this year in round 1.  There is going to be some talent pushed down out of the first.

Package 88 (worth 150 on the draft grid scale) with 55.  Puts us up around 40.  Should be able to get another stud that got knocked out of the 1st because the QB run

I expect us to come away with a CB and RB in our first four picks.  We may get a TE or Safety, and we might get a developmental prospect at DE.  OT or C is also a real possibility.

First day is almost certainly a CB, OT, or DE, depending on how the draft plays out.  I would be happily surprised with a TE, if the talent is there.  

I'm not too worried about Safety any more.  Unless we can get one of the top guys, odds are we sign another in Free Agency after the draft anyway.

I think our mid-round picks are going to be tough to predict because of the amount of QBs and LBs (probably 8-11 picks) that are likely to be selected early this year.  I'd expect BPA in the 1st because we have a better shot than normal to get a really good player at our pick.

My best guess would probably be some combination of pass catcher (WR or TE), safety and interior lineman (G or C) for our mid round picks.

I agree that value is CB OL early.

Having said that value hasn’t been very important in recent Panther first round picks.

I pick Bates/Reid in the 2nd, then an RB in the 3rd. Any will do but I like Keryon Johnson. Those are immediate needs.

The last R3 pick is for the future/depth. If by some chance one of the better TEs fall I would take one or C Ragnow or a T Jamarco Jones.

Archived