• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Earl Thomas trade demand drumbeat continues

Nails

22 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

He was first and second team All-Pro last year

The guy was so good in '13/'14 that he can be an All-Pro and still be a shadow of what he once was. He was looking like an all-time great back then. Honestly, he WAS an all-time great those couple of seasons.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/16/richard-sherman-mistakes-and-poor-judgment-ruined-really-special-seahawks/

“I think it’ll all come out when they do the 30 for 30,” [Richard]Sherman said, via Robert Klemko of SI.com. “Mistakes and poor judgment on things ruined what could have been a really special deal. . . . They’ve [Seahawks]  lost their way. It’s as simple as that. They’ve just lost their way. When you make too many mistakes over a long period of time, you kind of dig yourself a hole. And then when you backtrack, you gotta make a bunch of rash decisions to try and fill the hole and hope that it holds up.”

I honestly think that a safety like Earl Thomas could be the type of player that gets us over the hump and puts a Lombardi in the trophy case, but at what cost? We're already pretty tight against the cap with guys like Darryl Williams, Funchess, Shaq, etc. coming up for new deals. Yes, Thomas is better than those guys - Funchess and Shaq for sure, you could make an argument for Williams. But, Thomas is going to take big money to get and require giving up a valuable draft pick. He'll also be 30 years old this year. Are you willing to possibly forego signing young talent long-term for a bandaid to get a ring? We've seen that approach work in the past, but we've seen that approach fail spectacularly far more often.

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think that a safety like Earl Thomas could be the type of player that gets us over the hump and puts a Lombardi in the trophy case, but at what cost? We're already pretty tight against the cap with guys like Darryl Williams, Funchess, Shaq, etc. coming up for new deals. Yes, Thomas is better than those guys - Funchess and Shaq for sure, you could make an argument for Williams. But, Thomas is going to take big money to get and require giving up a valuable draft pick. He'll also be 30 years old this year. Are you willing to possibly forego signing young talent long-term for a bandaid to get a ring? We've seen that approach work in the past, but we've seen that approach fail spectacularly far more often.

What cost?  Well, as far as trade compensation, ESPN speculated a 2019 3rd and a 2020 4th from the Cowboys, hypothetically.  So there you go.

10 minutes ago, Nails said:

What cost?  Well, as far as trade compensation, ESPN speculated a 2019 3rd and a 2020 4th from the Cowboys, hypothetically.  So there you go.

Read the rest of my post. The opportunity cost. Acquiring Thomas and signing him to a contract that will make him happy won't happen in a salary cap vacuum. We would almost certainly have to let some young guys walk. Just like the signing of Matt Kalil forced us to let Norwell walk.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Read the rest of my post. The opportunity cost. Acquiring Thomas and signing him to a contract that will make him happy won't happen in a salary cap vacuum. We would almost certainly have to let some young guys walk. Just like the signing of Matt Kalil forced us to let Norwell walk.

I know, just saying.

10 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

A 2nd...the round we got KK in, for a 1 year rental broken safety that we can't afford to pay after this season?

Please don’t waste my time with shitty arguments like our “spectacular” draft history.

And yes, there’s ways to fit in ET’s contract moving forward.

Archived