• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So how would you fix it?

Cyberjag

Jake Delhomme and his inability to find open receivers and his inability to step up in the pocket/buy time to look for an open receiver is what is killing this team.

3td's 11int's isn't a playcalling malfunction it's a damn personal problem with the QB

Guess it's time for my nightly ...It's not all Jake. The pass protection is bad, the route running is bad, the play action is bad because apparently everyone knows when we are doing it according to Mushin. Mushin is a possession and nothing else. Steve is getting pressed at the line and is not handling it very well. Jeff King is the only consistent receiver. Its a total team failure in the passing game. Oh and Jake is not making good decisions under pressure. The only 2 people consistently blocking well on pass plays are Wharton and Kalil. Vincent and Otah have been matadors. If you don't believe me re watch the game.

4 simple ? for the Jake defenders.

I've advocated switching to Moore, but I'll answer anyway.

1. Is he a elite QB? He never was, and no one expected him to be.

2. Is he a game manager QB? Same answer.

3. What is the most Important thing in being a Game manager QB? Irrelevant since Delhomme doesn't fit the profile.

4. Why not start Matt Moore? I'm for it. But from Coach Fox's perspective, doesn't fit the need to win now and bolster his job security.

anyone thinking reverses and the wildcat are legit answers throughout the season are sadly mistaken. (only Miami seems to be effective at the wildcat, and regardless of who is good at it and running it well- we suck at it)

You run these plays to catch the defense off guard. Any offense continuing to call these plays are showing they have no offense to speak of and lack all creative ability/understanding of an offense. (Mostly in regards to a reverse)

You are talking about timing that type of play perfectly and being creative with that rather than calling it all the time and lacking all creative ability and imagination.

I've advocated switching to Moore, but I'll answer anyway.

if he is not elite and not a game manager, what is he?

What bothers me about delhomme is that if he gets rattled he throws MULTIPLE INTS AND FUMBLES. his highs are okay but his lows are abysmal. When your qb makes history for sucking that is not good.

Mr Scot i too advocate to start moore, not because i think he will blow delhmme out of the water, but because to set up next year we really need to see what we have in the stables. i thing that stood out to me about matt moore was pocket presence. He had it even as a rookie. in that dallas game he got sacked 5 TIMES as much as delhomme ever had. guess what 1 INT and 1 touchdown. not 4 int not 3 ints , 1, uno, ichi. how can a undrafted rookie with a "pared down playbook" do that with that much pressure and only have 1 int?

you handicap yourself by not being allowed an alternative to jake but whatever...

treat him like a rookie QB. limit his throwing opportunities. no huddle. get the ball out as quickly as possible to the open man on non-running plays. quit looking for the big play and just move the ball forward. eat up the clock.

truthfully, we could do that with moore and be as or more successful.

Mr. Scot's wrong. Jake Delhomme is and has been a game manager QB for most of his career.

The very definition of a game manager is a quarterback who relies on his defense and running game, and throws when he has to or to confuse the defense. Game managers do a lot of play-action, and it works because they sell the run and defenses believe them. Game managers run the draw play on third and long, because they believe their defense will get them the ball back. Just because you're a game manager doesn't mean you don't throw deep. That may be where the confusion lies.

This season Davidson's calling plays that don't suit Delhomme's skills (seriously, a deep pass on 2nd and 20?), and it's showing on the stat line in a big and embarrassing way. If someone like John Gruden was calling plays for Jake, you would see a ton of multiple tight end sets and passes in the 5-10 yard range. Then the accuracy would go up, turnovers would go down, and the confidence in the fourth quarter would come back and people would start thinking Delhomme was a gunslinger again.

Modified West Coast.

Williams and Stewart on the field at the same time. We have 3 playmakers on this O, they all three need to be out there in some capacity.

Start the game with quite a few high % passes, and let our boys get the YAC.

On D.

I am almost to the point of playing 3 DT's, 1 DE, and Pep in the OLB rover/blitz position to try to generate some pressure. He needs to be flying around, but is all too often caught up with a OT. Not sure how this would work, but at this point they need to be trying everything.

Oh yea, if we go to .500 this weekend, Fox will poo the bed for the rest of the season.

Mr. Scot's wrong. Jake Delhomme is and has been a game manager QB for most of his career.

The very definition of a game manager is a quarterback who relies on his defense and running game, and throws when he has to or to confuse the defense. Game managers do a lot of play-action, and it works because they sell the run and defenses believe them. Game managers run the draw play on third and long, because they believe their defense will get them the ball back. Just because you're a game manager doesn't mean you don't throw deep. That may be where the confusion lies.

This season Davidson's calling plays that don't suit Delhomme's skills (seriously, a deep pass on 2nd and 20?), and it's showing on the stat line in a big and embarrassing way. If someone like John Gruden was calling plays for Jake, you would see a ton of multiple tight end sets and passes in the 5-10 yard range. Then the accuracy would go up, turnovers would go down, and the confidence in the fourth quarter would come back and people would start thinking Delhomme was a gunslinger again.

You do realize that is already where most of Jakes completions come from right? He's completed 62 passes between 0-10 yards and 17 between 11-30 yards. He's 0-11 on anything deeper. Just over 2 deep balls a game isn't exactly airing it out. This is the distance he threw the ball, not how far the play ended up going. 8 of his interceptions are on passes 20 yards or shorter. He's already throwing 65% of his passes 0-10 yards. Just how much shorter do you want to make the passing game?

I would chagne the followign two things:

1. No throws over 30 yards.

2. Run more passing plays from 3 and 4 wide. We run too many 1 and 2 WR sets. You can single cover Moose...double Smitty...and still put 8 in the box. Spread the field and run out of it.

We MUST become less predictable.

You do realize that is already where most of Jakes completions come from right? He's completed 62 passes between 0-10 yards and 17 between 11-30 yards. He's 0-11 on anything deeper. Just over 2 deep balls a game isn't exactly airing it out. This is the distance he threw the ball, not how far the play ended up going. 8 of his interceptions are on passes 20 yards or shorter. He's already throwing 65% of his passes 0-10 yards. Just how much shorter do you want to make the passing game?

So how could he be called a gunslinger? And the first three passes called for him against the Bucs were deep outs, for what it's worth.

Guess I have to pull the Kevin Winslow .....

Ok you are a field commander in an army(Jake). A general in Washington(Fox) tells you, I want you to take this valley in <insert hostile are>. Your strategist(Davidson) says we should position tanks(Stewart,Williams) in the middle and base the offensive on them. You know the enemy doesn't have enough anti tank weaponry to stop you as long as its all not concentrated in 1 place. Your stategist also tells you to expect some Air Support(Wide receivers) to take some pressure off the tanks and to keep reinforcements from arriving. Infantry(Offensive Line) is gonna hold any ground taken and protect the Field Commander. What happens, if the Field Commander makes a mistake with implementing the plan? Failure right? It's all the FC's fault.

However what if what helped the FC make the mistake was that the tanks fire on friendly positions(fumble)? Or Air support doesn't stop reinforcements from arriving(drops, bad routes, not going for the ball, etc.)? Or if the Infantry lets hostile units camp right outside the FC tent(sacks, pressure). Or the strategist, who knows the capability of all the units, tells the FC to move toward the front lines, when he knows the infantry can't protect him in the open and his air support is having logistical issues and might not be there? Any one of these things happen and the battle might be won or loss, but no matter what the FC looks incompetent when it might not totally be his fault. He is not making the plan, he is following the plan set forth by the General and the strategist.

Guess I have to pull the Kevin Winslow .....

Ok you are a field commander in an army(Jake). A general in Washington(Fox) tells you, I want you to take this valley in <insert hostile are>. Your strategist(Davidson) says we should position tanks(Stewart,Williams) in the middle and base the offensive on them. You know the enemy doesn't have enough anti tank weaponry to stop you as long as its all not concentrated in 1 place. Your stategist also tells you to expect some Air Support(Wide receivers) to take some pressure off the tanks and to keep reinforcements from arriving. Infantry(Offensive Line) is gonna hold any ground taken and protect the Field Commander. What happens, if the Field Commander makes a mistake with implementing the plan? Failure right? It's all the FC's fault.

However what if what helped the FC make the mistake was that the tanks fire on friendly positions(fumble)? Or Air support doesn't stop reinforcements from arriving(drops, bad routes, not going for the ball, etc.)? Or if the Infantry lets hostile units camp right outside the FC tent(sacks, pressure). Or the strategist, who knows the capability of all the units, tells the FC to move toward the front lines, when he knows the infantry can't protect him in the open and his air support is having logistical issues and might not be there? Any one of these things happen and the battle might be won or loss, but no matter what the FC looks incompetent when it might not totally be his fault. He is not making the plan, he is following the plan set forth by the General and the strategist.

That was without a doubt the most complicated metaphor I have ever seen.

Archived