• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Daryl Williams not likely to return from IR, according to Steve Reed

Saca312

4 hours ago, RoaringRiot said:

There’s a shortage of good Ts out there. Players come back from knees - even big linemen. He’s was All Pro last year. Some team will still pay him

Yup. Love the “oh well shucks it sucks he was hurt but at least we won’t have to sign him to a big contract now” crap on here. Dude is gonna get paid. If not from the panthers it will be from somebody else. 

I thought that Pro Bowl was a little weird honestly, but whatever.

We are speculating on something that we just don't have enough info on.

Medicals?

Motivation?  1 year prove it and try to cash in big?  Or a 3 year deal with 18 total guaranteed, or something like that to set himself up well enough after injuries?

GM and HC?  At this time I'm thinking that unless Ron makes a pretty good run to the playoffs he could be on the proverbial "hot seat".  Also think that it's pretty likely that this is Hurney's last season in that seat.

Williams will either sign for a one-year prove your knee is healthy and that the pro bowl was not an anomaly deal, or he will sign a relatively team friendly 3-4 year deal to give him some security.

If he takes a prove-it deal, he will do so believing he can get a significantly larger paycheck later on than any long-term one he would sign this year.  Hopefully, he'll go for security and take the long-term deal, but I would be willing to bet he'll re-sign on a one year deal.  That gives him a year to show the league he is healthy and that 2017 wasn't a fluke, and it would give the team some time to fill other needs (like DE or S) before having to put significant resources into a tackle.

5 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I don't know where some of y'all get the idea that players in the prime years of their careers sign "prove it" deals.

What?  Just so they can get injured again and lower their chances even more of getting the long-term deal that they want?

They act like there aren't 31 other teams out there, only one of which needs to be willing to take a chance on a pro bowl tackle coming off an injury. Considering the derth of tackle talent in the league, it seems extremely likely someone will roll the dice if we don't step up. 

On 9/21/2018 at 6:20 PM, tondi said:

Thats a great deal for us with little risk, but he's gonna want 30+ million guaranteed so then what do we tell him?  Do we tell him to hit the road or do we suck it up?  It only takes one team flush with cash to get him. It'll be Norwell all over since there are even fewer productive tackles in their prime hitting free agency. 

Find a compromise between the two positions, give him less guaranteed than he would have made healthy, but with lots of ways to make more money if he stays healthy. Take advantage of the fact you can negotiate with him long before anyone else can.  Man has made 4 mil so far, you don't think he'll sign  with the Panthers for 15-20 mil guaranteed? 

I'd give serious consideration to signing him now, with a nice signing bonus, but much less than if he was healthy. Give him a little security now, keeps him here long term. Say a 10 mil signing bonus with a bonus for each game he's active in a year. 

Have to set the contract up so that the team is protected if he doesn't come back healthy. Say, an out at 2 years, with a nice roster bonus due the 3rd year, so he either gets cut at 27 or he makes a lot more money 3rd year.

So many ways to go about it, just don't M Kalil him.

28 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Find a compromise between the two positions, give him less guaranteed than he would have made healthy, but with lots of ways to make more money if he stays healthy. Take advantage of the fact you can negotiate with him long before anyone else can.  Man has made 4 mil so far, you don't think he'll sign  with the Panthers for 15-20 mil guaranteed? 

I'd give serious consideration to signing him now, with a nice signing bonus, but much less than if he was healthy. Give him a little security now, keeps him here long term. Say a 10 mil signing bonus with a bonus for each game he's active in a year. 

Have to set the contract up so that the team is protected if he doesn't come back healthy. Say, an out at 2 years, with a nice roster bonus due the 3rd year, so he either gets cut at 27 or he makes a lot more money 3rd year.

So many ways to go about it, just don't M Kalil him.

Once again, I'd be on board with all of that but if another team offers a significantly better deal, which certainly isn't out of the question, we need to plan on him taking it.  

Archived