• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Running on first down

ellis

Striving for balance is a pretty standard thing in the NFL. If situations dictate otherwise, sure—you have to adapt and succeed. But no situations dictated that in Atlanta.

I’m not so concerned about how much we run on what down. I just want to see a game plan make sense. Yesterday was a good day.

46 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Passing a lot on 1st is not a good sign for us

Huh.

Passing on first down has been something Tepper emphasized he wanted to see more of. Analytics show that most teams expect the run on first down naturally, so countering with passes helps.

And, as far as I’m concerned, it’s been effective.

I don’t believe it’s a bad idea to pass the ball on first down, or to run it for that matter. I’m not advocating for either generic option.

Opponent tendencies + defensive personnel typically help an OC formulate his long-view strategy and in-game adaptations. 

I’m just glad to see this level of production from 22 on opening downs. It may very well be due to a lower degree of predictability with respect to personnel packages and looks (and calls) on these downs. (Again....the OL, TEs and 22 deserve immense credit, along with Hoener, Matsko and Wharton.)

Whatever it is, it’s working.

1 minute ago, Bartin said:

ideally that would occur but really it just means we are losing

Interesting then that we trailed for less than 10 minutes against the Bengals, yet still threw on first down 45% of the time.  Likewise, we never trailed against the Cowboys and still threw on first down 43% of the time.

Just now, BrianS said:

Interesting then that we trailed for less than 10 minutes against the Bengals, yet still threw on first down 45% of the time.  Likewise, we never trailed against the Cowboys and still threw on first down 43% of the time.

Well we only trailed in the 1st half and never by more than 1 possession against the Bengals so I don't expect them to change philosophies unless we are trailing big in the 1st half or trailing in the 2nd half. Losing by 7 in the first half, we will stick to the plan until forced to deviate by either time or margin.

4 minutes ago, arbnranger said:

Good post je. 

I must be behind though...

Matt Breida. 

<FookIsThatGuy>

Who is dat guy?

One of Georgia Southern‘s finest. 

He was a rookie last year, saw moderate action. McKinnon’s out, so here he is. Decent ballplayer. He’s over 8ypc this year, although that’s not unusual for late September if your coach is named Shanahan. 

Archived