• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Falcons lost both their starting safeties. Buccaneers lost their safety to another dimension. Saints need secondary help. But Panthers signed Eric Reid.

Saca312

It's a great day in Panthers history when nearly all of the NFC South needs safety help in any form or way, and somehow we're the only ones to pull the trigger. In fact, given our history of being fine with poor safety play, it's fair to assume we would've been the last to even consider safety help in the division. Let alone whatever "political baggage" he has going on.

Yet here we are. A fantastic good safety coming off a career year in his prime playing for us. Not caring one bit about whatever politics he associates with or how he approaches it. 

Just plain old signing someone who'll make a difference for our defense and elevate everyone's play.

Good job Panthers.

This whole thing really has got me thinking. How many of the "Man, I wish we would've signed (insert "troubled" player here), but we never do." was because of JR and not because of Ron and Gettleman/Hurney?  Tepper being here is clearly a breath of fresh air, and you have to assume he played role in all this.  But, I still wonder if Ron is doing this now because he can, or because he knows he's playing to keep his job?  It's probably both.  Either way, I'm stoked and hope this tree bares fruit and we end up locking him up long-term. 

1 minute ago, DFive said:

This whole thing really has got me thinking. How many of the "Man, I wish we would've signed (insert "troubled" player here), but we never do." was because of JR and not because of Ron and Gettleman/Hurney?  Tepper being here is clearly a breath of fresh air, and you have to assume he played role in all this.  But, I still wonder if Ron is doing this now because he can, or because he knows he's playing to keep his job?  It's probably both.  Either way, I'm stoked and hope this tree bares fruit and we end up locking him up long-term. 

Voth has said that he doesn't expect the approach to players with character or legal issues to change.

Reid can't really be considered a "troubled" player. The controversy around him is political, not criminal or personal.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair to the Falcons (something which I hate being but hey) if you had already lost two safeties to injury, would you consider it a wise move to sign a replacement with a history of concussions? :thinking:

I’d consider it a pretty low risk move to sign someone with the upside Eric Reid has.

Youre really hammering this whole concussion drum.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Voth has said that he doesn't expect the approach to players with character or legal issues to change.

Reid can't really be considered a "troubled" player. The controversy around him is political, not criminal or personal.

I didn't mean to imply Reid was troubled, I just used that as a catch all word for any player that was dealing with some issue that was polarizing.  I think we can all agree that Ron plays his best when he is on the hot seat, and even though it hasn't been expressed that he is, I'm sure he knows he needs to prove his worth to the Tepp.  Having Norv is such a blessing because Ron has said that he lets Norv do what he wants which means he doesn't have to stretch himself thin and can focus on other areas, like defense.

5 minutes ago, mjligon said:

I’d consider it a pretty low risk move to sign someone with the upside Eric Reid has.

When a guy has had enough damage that he was thinking about retiring from a game that pays in millions of dollars in his early twenties, there's cause for concern.

Just now, DFive said:

I didn't mean to imply Reid was troubled, I just used that as a catch all word for any player that was dealing with some issue that was polarizing.  I think we can all agree that Ron plays his best when he is on the hot seat, and even though it hasn't been expressed that he is, I'm sure he knows he needs to prove his worth to the Tepp.  Having Norv is such a blessing because Ron has said that he lets Norv do what he wants which means he doesn't have to stretch himself thin and can focus on other areas, like defense.

Which, oddly enough, seems to be the weak point on the team this year.

Go figure...

1 minute ago, mjligon said:

To be fair it has to be a concern. I don't know how many he has had but do know he had 3 in 2 seasons and was even considering retirement in 2015 because of them. btw I researched this after @Mr. Scot pointed it out. I hope he can come in and ball out and stay healthy. but just like Luke, it has to be considered.

1 minute ago, wud35 said:

To be fair it has to be a concern. I don't know how many he has had but do know he had 3 in 2 seasons and was even considering retirement in 2015 because of them. btw I researched this after @Mr. Scot pointed it out. I hope he can come in and ball out and stay healthy. but just like Luke, it has to be considered.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

When a guy has had enough damage that he was thinking about retiring from a game that pays in millions of dollars in his early twenties, there's cause for concern.

I get that, but worst case is he plays 3 quarters for us then suffers another concussion and we have to shut him down for the year. 

Clearly we aren't going to be trading for a safety, so if the worst possible outcome were to indeed play out, then odds are anyone else we were perhaps targeting that is sitting on their couch (ex. Mike Mitchell), will probably still be sitting there if Reid were to get hurt again.

I guess what I'm saying is you can't let injury history prevent you from signing a proven commodity at a position of need during week 4.

6 minutes ago, wud35 said:

:eyeroll:

Archived