• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riot Report Film Room: What Eric Reid Brings To The Panthers’ Secondary

Saca312

Really good read and deep dive on how Eric Reid impacts the Panthers. Lots of positives in coverage and run support to love.

https://theriotreport.com/eric-reid-panthers-safety-film-breakdown/

Unless you’ve had your head buried in the ground since Thursday, you’re probably aware that the Panthers have signed free agent safety Eric Reid to replace Da’Norris Searcy after Searcy’s second concussion sent him to injured reserve. While Colin Jones didn’t play terribly against the Bengals, he isn’t an ideal starting safety at the NFL level and Rashaan Gaulden doesn’t appear ready to take on a starting responsibility – the Panthers put Searcy on IR on Friday, which didn’t give the team enough time to feel comfortable with bringing in an outside safety on short notice.

With the Week 4 bye giving a little bit more cushion, they decided to pull the trigger on Reid, which certainly made sense from a football perspective as he was the best safety available in free agency by a fairly wide margin. You’ve heard how good Reid was for months as he remained unsigned – let’s take a look at what the former Pro Bowler has to offer between the sidelines on Sundays and what he’ll bring to the Panthers defense.

Click the link to see more. Well worth it.

The main takeaway is his elite ability in the box against the run. He's quick and fast at setting the edge and attacking the runner. Also really solid in man coverage and likely would do well in a "robber role."

Would expect him to primarily play "SS" if you will while we have Mike Adams and Donte Jackson interchange at FS at times. And all three of them are solid in those roles.

Honestly, when's the last time we had an honest to goodness solid safety corps?

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hope he's not rusty and hasn't fallen off a cliff. But even then, probably still better than what we got. But hopefully he's eager and playing at pro bowl level.

I seriously doubt a guy is rusty or fallen off a cliff in less than a year. 

He'll play in the box and deep.  Our safeties interchange.  I feel much, much better with him in either role than I did with Colin Jones.  I also think expectations should be tempered given his time away from football.  Engram being out Sunday is a big help.

Archived