• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Reid being a distraction

I wish people would stop talking about the protests. I don’t like politics in my football. I mean seriously, why can’t people just stop talking about it? People mixing politics and football are ruining my love of the game. I am so tired of talking about the protests. It’s such a distraction. I don’t want to read or hear about the protests anymore.

Signed,

Huddlers who constantly talk about the protests. 

Distractions only happen when teams allow them to become distractions.  What if the Panthers embrace the cause.  If Reid wants to, he can kneel(you know, a sign of supplication to a higher power), but the rest of the team will support his efforts with social justice.  Win win?

Again, the folks who are getting the most upset and crazy about the protests should just let it go.  Just enjoy the football aspect.  When they start talking politics, just turn off the talking heads.  By giving people a reason to talk about the protests, you ensure that the protests continue and grow.  Instead of getting mad and posting everywhere about it, just say "well, that's nice." and go about enjoying your life.

Honestly, if everyone would just do that...we'd have no need for the Tinderbox... =P

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Long as he plays well, kinda doubt it.

There's really only one question I have with regard to the Reid signing. I know Hurney and Rivera say he was the best available safety. And that makes sense.

That said, would someone care to explain to me why he wasn't the "best available player" back when we signed Da'norris Searcy?

I get that the team sale wasn't final back then, but even so, Richardson was on his way out. And even if you cite Richardson as the reason, there was plenty of time during training camp. It's not like Searcy didn't get his first concussion until recently.

Why did it take an injury for this to happen?

Value to market ratio changed a lot during those times. Other safeties came off the market, injuries happen, Reid's price comes down maybe. There could be any number of factors that brought his target and our target together. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field. We've got something special going and I hope he can be the last big piece of the puzzle.

7 hours ago, Billy_T said:

...and it's fair to note the Riverboat was a huge supporter of "The Big Cat"....

....let's not forget the post-game chant: 

"Just remember guys this is about team, everything we do is about team, most important thing is about team, okay?  Alright, do me a favor, Mr. Richardson on 3".

Cam was right there too:

"Panthers quarterback Cam Newon told reporters on Wednesday that he was 'disgruntled' because he does not want Richardson to sell the team. While he said he takes sexual assault "extremely serious," Newton said that he did not believe Richardson should have to sell based solely on accusations. "

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/24/ron-rivera-panthers-jerry-richardson-break-down-chant

Employees supporting the guy who signs their paychecks?  That almost never happens.  lol

Seriously though, while they probably should have said nothing at all, when you know someone on a personal level, you tend to judge them by more by your own interactions with them.  This is just human nature.  And my guess is that most people who knew Jerry Richardson had positive interactions with him.  

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

You are confused again. I challenged you to think for yourself. Look at facts. Look at stats. Watch the games. Don't just spread rumors and cite yourself and random internet chatter as sources.  Questioning and validating might make you learn something.  It's fun when reading the typical BS posted here (often from you) to validate it. There is nearly always a simple logical explanation to the drama you want to believe.

Not quoting myself. Quoted Gantt, whose "rumours" are more credible than your reading of the transaction record. Others who also have more access than you,have said the same thing.

Plus, as to previous history, you...

- said there was no evidence that the bidding had reached 2.5 billion. You were wrong.

- theorized that Tepper wouldn't follow the Steeler model. He has since said that he plans to run things "the Steeler way".

- claimed the Riveras never said anything about working shorter hours. Again, wrong.

- discounted a suggestion that David Tepper was leading the bidding war. Obviously wrong.

Those are just off the top of my head. There are definitely others. You have a tendency to just come on here and deny something somebody says without any backing; then when you're proven wrong, disappear. So can you explain to me again why I should find you reliable?

58 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Value to market ratio changed a lot during those times. Other safeties came off the market, injuries happen, Reid's price comes down maybe. There could be any number of factors that brought his target and our target together. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field. We've got something special going and I hope he can be the last big piece of the puzzle.

I get the money argument, but it's not like anybody else was making him an offer. He has a collusion case for a reason.

Do kinda wonder what would have happened if Ron and Marty had tried this while Richardson was still owner but declared that he was outside the day-to-day operations.

Would Tina Becker have mysteriously said no?

Can I be honest with you guys? I'm a supporter of Eric Reid's and I literally said "holy poo" when we signed him, but I hope he doesn't kneel this week. We just had 6 cops shot in South Carolina and one of them, a black cop, was killed. There's a time and a place for all things in life and this Sunday isn't the Sunday I would choose to kneel.

3 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

Can I be honest with you guys? I'm a supporter of Eric Reid's and I literally said "holy poo" when we signed him, but I hope he doesn't kneel this week. We just had 6 cops shot in South Carolina and one of them, a black cop, was killed. There's a time and a place for all things in life and this Sunday isn't the Sunday I would choose to kneel.

Since Fox Sports no longer shows the Anthem being played or players kneeling, I am hoping the anthem thing will soon be forgotten.

3 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

I hope the shooters had gotten captured for this.

14 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Employees supporting the guy who signs their paychecks?  That almost never happens.  lol

Seriously though, while they probably should have said nothing at all, when you know someone on a personal level, you tend to judge them by more by your own interactions with them.  This is just human nature.  And my guess is that most people who knew Jerry Richardson had positive interactions with him.  

One former employee pointed out that anyone on the football side of the operation might not have seen a thing because the business side was on the opposite end of the building and those two factions didn't mix much.

That said, since the investigation has been completed and ownership has changed, it's definitely a different standard.

13 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

More often than not, the distractions haven't mattered.  And I don't think this one will. But we did play poorly the weekend after the Charlotte Riots.  Of course, this distraction is nowhere near the level of that one.  

Charlotte Riots? LOL. Thank sweet baby jeebus we've never had any actual riots, where more than a few storefront windows and a semi trailer get destroyed. 

Archived