• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Last Year’s Draft

ForJimmy

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't try and reason with dicks or d-bags. Since you think I'm a d-bag and you're basically a self-admitted dick, there's no longer a need for a discussion. I thought you were a smarter type of reasonable guy, but I suppose we'd be better off placing each other on the ignore list.

No. You just don’t do a very good job of it.

ive always thought you were a dick. So nothing has changed. 

2 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

This last draft was great, some of ya'll are just negative

The last season was terrible.

A great draft, even the greatest draft, doesn't mean jack sh-t if the total roster that you build isn't good enough.

The NFL doesn't give out trophies for good drafts, only for winning games.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yet when someone points out that Hurney has done a poor job of building winning rosters - an established fact, including this past season - you get defensive and upset.

You insist on judging him in every way possible except the only one that really matters.

Him "building winning rosters" is not even the argument. His first stay here was not even what the OP wanted to discuss. The OP even admitted that he was not in love with Hurney, but that Hurney had a good draft. All I originally said is that Perhaps Hurney's draft is one reason that saved his job. That's fact.

I also stated that this is Hurney's first year under Tepper which is a fact.

I've also stated in so many words that Hurney made sensible decisions pertaining to the roster based upon the circumstances at the time. This is an opinion.

I also said that there were mitigating circumstances as to why one may not entirely and ultimately blame Hurney for the failure if last season. That's a fact. 

I also stated that some are taking seemingly every opportunity to discuss Hurney's past failures, even to the point of making useful discussion about the future and especially the coming season. That's an opinion, with a high dose of facts (depending upon one's definition of "useful").

I don't get "defensive and upset" about discussing football, but I do get annoyed when people start insulting, belittling and patronizing others for having a difference of opinion, especially when there are compelling reasons to be on either side of an issue as it pertains to the Panthers. There's really no place for it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The last season was terrible.

A great draft, even the greatest draft, doesn't mean jack sh-t if the total roster that you build isn't good enough.

The NFL doesn't give out trophies for good drafts, only for winning games.

I didn't make any mention of the season being good or bad, i said the draft was good

What are you even arguing?

14 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Well, I suspected that you may be a dick (even though you could make a good argument), now I know that you're a big dick.

Anyone with eyes sees the season was trash, the young players drafted this year showed promise to be foundational players going forward and that's what this thread is about

I know folks here like to hear themselves talk and disagree for the fun of it, arguing against points people haven't even made, but sheesh

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Addison was 6’3” 245 Haynes is 6’2” 235. 1 inch for 10 pounds isn’t crazy. I do agree that he needs to put on a lot of weight like Addison did, but he can still contribute as a pure pass rusher on passing downs. 

Not as a 4-3 DE with his hand on the ground he won't.  As was pointed out above, the Falcon's threw him around like a rag doll earlier this season.

13 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You have to remember there's a certain mindset at play with some posters here.

You see, Marty Hurney drafted Cam Newton, buy Dave Gettleman cut Steve Smith. Therefore, at no time may it ever be accepted that Dave Gettleman was a better GM than Marty Hurney.

Logic doesn't matter. Winning and losing don't matter. In fact, whatever spin is necessary to keep winning and losing from being considered the most important factor must be employed. Otherwise, Marty looks bad.

Failing that, you have to go into some kind of complex "butterfly effect" theory where Hurney's teams losing must have somehow been caused by Gettleman. Likewise anything that Gettleman won must be credited to Hurney, because reasons.

It's quite possibly the stupidest thing on this board, but it gets employed a lot

And thus, here we are.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Him "building winning rosters" is not even the argument. His first stay here was not even what the OP wanted to discuss. The OP even admitted that he was not in love with Hurney, but that Hurney had a good draft. All I originally said is that Perhaps Hurney's draft is one reason that saved his job. That's fact.

I also stated that this is Hurney's first year under Tepper which is a fact.

I've also stated in so many words that Hurney made sensible decisions pertaining to the roster based upon the circumstances at the time. This is an opinion.

I also said that there were mitigating circumstances as to why one may not entirely and ultimately blame Hurney for the failure if last season. That's a fact. 

I also stated that some are taking seemingly every opportunity to discuss Hurney's past failures, even to the point of making useful discussion about the future and especially the coming season. That's an opinion, with a high dose of facts (depending upon one's definition of "useful").

I don't get "defensive and upset" about discussing football, but I do get annoyed when people start insulting, belittling and patronizing others for having a difference of opinion, especially when there are compelling reasons to be on either side of an issue as it pertains to the Panthers. There's really no place for it.

So last years draft doesn’t matter because it wasn’t under Tepper? When, specifically, can we hold Hurney responsible for anything. Ever. I only asked questions about his time since his return. And you have avoided all of them with “hindsight”. 

Just because you can’t come up with intelligent answers...doesn’t mean there aren’t valid questions. What has he done well financially. This time? 

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

Considering the stock “tanked” last year, just like it did in its previous four, what potential has this “stock” shown? 

What success rate would you like to use? How deep a “cherry-picking” you going to do to gloss over 5 losing seasons in a row, 3 of 12 in playoffs. You know, actual relevant FACTS. 

We better solve the QB issue quick

2 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Not as a 4-3 DE with his hand on the ground he won't.  As was pointed out above, the Falcon's threw him around like a rag doll earlier this season.

Sime weight, strength, conditioning, teaching and experience can do wonders. Look at the difference between C-Mac this season and C-Mac during the first part of 2017. I'm not saying that Haynes will turn into a dominant pass rusher, but we at least can give him time to see exactly what his upside is. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that we were discussing last year's draft. 

I was later asked questions about finances and said that the all the moves in free agency last year were financially sensible at the time, regardless of injury or the fact that players didn't quite meet up to expectations after-the-fact (which is a point of contention steeped in opinion itself). What part of that is not understandable? I guess that it's only out-of-this-world thinking because this is the Huddle.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You have to remember there's a certain mindset at play with some posters here.

You see, Marty Hurney drafted Cam Newton, buy Dave Gettleman cut Steve Smith. Therefore, at no time may it ever be accepted that Dave Gettleman was a better GM than Marty Hurney.

Logic doesn't matter. Winning and losing don't matter. In fact, whatever spin is necessary to keep winning and losing from being considered the most important factor must be employed. Otherwise, Marty looks bad.

Failing that, you have to go into some kind of complex "butterfly effect" theory where Hurney's teams losing must have somehow been caused by Gettleman. Likewise anything that Gettleman won must be credited to Hurney, because reasons.

It's quite possibly the stupidest thing on this board, but it gets employed a lot

And thus, here we are.

It’s always been the most fascinating thing about this fan base. I remember first getting on here in 2015 and wandering why so many hated the GM. After a couple weeks it became obvious. I made a post about a move we had made and 10 different posters(led by CPK...lol) swarmed on me to tell me how awful DG was. We were 13-1. 

I have never seen a group of fans that would rather lose than have a GM have any success. But that describes about 33% of this fan base. 

Preaching to the choir here my man......

Archived