• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake Peetz named new RB coach

ncfan

1 hour ago, PanthersBigD said:

No, but you guys come into every one of these threads just to basically do the Marge Simpson groan because it's not the guy you would have picked. None of us know how he'll do, but I like them taking a chance on a young guy. He comes from a great coaching tree.

We hired a guy to coach runningbacks who's never coached runningbacks.

McCaffrey was pretty much the engine of our offense last season. Wouldn't you prefer to have someone with a little more experience shepherding his development?

And let's be real: We're talking about a hire by the guy who brought us OC Mike Shula, QB Coach Ken Dorsey, DC Eric Washington, ST Coach Richard Rodgers, Secondary Coach Richard Rodgers, Assistant Secondary Coach Richard Rodgers, and whose brilliant plan to fix the secondary coaching was to keep Richard Rodgers and fire Jeff Imamura (look how huge a difference that made) :thinking:

You're free to feel positive about it if you want to.  Heck, you're free to think Devin Funchess will lead the league in receptions next year if it makes you feel better.

But given Rivera's history with coaching and personnel decisions, I'd say there's cause to be...skeptical.

5 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

So Sean McVay would have been a no go for you, I'm confused because I thought you were a big proponent of his?

I've talked about how the league loves Sean McVay type coaches, and I've congratulated him for doing good work and taking responsibility for his failures.

But when it comes to coaching hires, I prefer more experienced guys.  Mike Zimmer and Frank Reich are two of the guys I've championed before.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've talked about how the league loves Sean McVay type coaches, and I've congratulated him for doing good work and taking responsibility for his failures.

But when it comes to coaching hires, I prefer more experienced guys.  Mike Zimmer and Frank Reich are two of the guys I've championed before.

Ah okay, my mistake, nothing wrong with that.

Rivera has surely made some questionable hires but at least Peetz is a guy who has no ties to Rivera (to my knowledge).

Hopefully Peetz works out for his own sake.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Frank Reich had never been a head coach before he took the job with the Colts. Pifff with your experience.

10 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Ah okay, my mistake, nothing wrong with that.

Rivera has surely made some questionable hires but at least Peetz is a guy who has no ties to Rivera (to my knowledge).

Hopefully Peetz works out for his own sake.

I hope so, but it's kind of like hiring a history teacher to teach biology.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Neither had Zimmer.

"Experience" doesn't necessarily mean "head coaching experience".

But in your conversations, it does. You're adamant about experience. How can you advocate for a lack of experience in one aspect such as head coach but not in another aspect such as running backs coach?

"Experience" doesn't necessarily mean "running backs coaching experience".

1 minute ago, GRWatcher said:

But in your conversations, it does. You're adamant about experience. How can you advocate for a lack of experience in one aspect such as head coach but not in another aspect such as running backs coach?

"Experience" doesn't necessarily mean "running backs coaching experience".

This guy has experience as a position coach...for quarterbacks.

A few years ago, Andy Reid made Juan Castillo his defensive coordinator. Castillo had never been anything but an offensive line coach, but Reid figured since he was a smart guy, he could make the adjustment.

That decision helped get them both fired.

The idea is to ascend up the ladder. That's how it works, but generally speaking you have to at least have some qualification for the position.

If you wanted to make this guy the assistant runningbacks coach and hire someone with experience to be the full-fledged runningbacks coach, I could get behind that.

Handing him the keys to what's become one of our most important positions? Not so much.

Archived