• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It could be worse - cap space edition

Adb6368

On 3/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, ncfan said:

Bucs and Falcons yeah, id say they are in worse situation.  Especially the Falcons with the uncertainty what Julio may do again this offseason.

Saints always little to Negative cap and they still pull some crazy voodoo magic and lock people uo while resigning people.  I fugging hate the Aints, but their dam GM knows what the fug he's doing

This. The cap is funny money to a degree and we've never had a GM who knew how to manipulate it.

Realistically I understand where they seem to be and here's how it could unfold.

We are not going to get a good LT in FA (no cap room). If too many of the high picks go before we get to 16, we either going C or DE or DT. Which means Kalil will have a shot to win the job. Not happy, but the salary cap burden is there. For the Bengals to pay Bobby Hart (who stunk for the Giants) 9 mil a year, it would cost too much to get a decent LT. The hope if one of the good ones are there at 16 but it's possible they are not and they ride Kalil for one more year (and I really don't think they want to either). 

I actually think we can get a decent DE in FA because of so many available in the draft which could bring down the 2nd wave of FA prices. Same with Safety. There's our 2 FA signings. Now, if a vet FA becomes available that could be had for 1 or 2 mil, I could see Smith released or asked to take a cut. But if Funchess got "up to" 13 mil for a year, that make is out of control too. Let's say he stays healthy, he will contribute and will only play a lot of if 1 of the top 3 gets hurt. 

We could also gain room by signing Shaq to a long term deal. He's 9 mil (not guaranteed either) until day 1 of the season. Not that they would cut him but giving him a long term deal would lower the cap.

2019 is a "chance" year as to lets see how we do. The real year is 2020. Is Cam still the future? Kalil's contract can be gone. With the youth movement we should be in very good cap shape moving forward. 

On 3/9/2019 at 1:36 PM, thefuzz said:

No, it wasn't.

Replacing his value can be done with a player on a vet minimum contract.

He started 6 games, played in 11, had 17 catches for 190 yards.

Brenton Bersin in 17 started 1 game, played in 8, and had 128 yards.

Bersin counted 4.7M less against the cap than Torrey did.

He's not good any longer, and was never that good to begin with.

You can judge by one season with a certain degree of extenuating circumstances all you like. I don't think that it's smart, but you can do it. But how about you judge apples to apples and oranges to orange? Brenton Bersin is not in the same league as Torrey Smith in terms of anything except having better hands. He never took the top off of anything except maybe a Jiffy's jar (or something), and he certainly never was a focal point of any defense's game plan. 

Archived