• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DT Gerald McCoy Will Visit The Panthers This Week

Saca312

16 hours ago, The Huddler said:

with limited resources, you put those resources into the critical positions you absolutely need. Not only for our team, but the whole NFL, defensive lineman and pass rushers get paid astronomically more than safeties. Theres a huge discrepancy for supply and demand between the two positions. Because with a great DL who can stop the run and rush the passer, you dont need a world beater back there as your safety net. In fact, a good supporting cast can make an average safety look good by not needing him to do too much

I think people forget we have one of the better Safties in the league in Reed back there. If we get some elite pass rush FS will not be a huge concern.

16 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

Get to the quarterback and don't let him have time to pick on the free safety.. Problem solved 

Exactly... we had Melvin White and Robert Lester starting games in 2013 as UDFA and it didnt matter bc the pass rush was that good

21 minutes ago, Snake said:

I think people forget we have one of the better Safties in the league in Reed back there. If we get some elite pass rush FS will not be a huge concern.

Yep... and safety wasnt great, but we had literally nobody behind Jackson and Bradberry who could cover at CB last year. I'm hoping that with Jackson having another year and Cockrell being back our CB group is going to improve.

Reid played well down the stretch. I have hope for Gaulden but there are still capable FS looking for work that will come cheap

With many of Gettleman's draft picks not panning out, including DT Vernon Butler who didn't receive the fifth year option offer, the Panthers happen to have room and need for a DT. We need to keep our DT rotation fresh and talented, and the real McCoy is here all day today. Signing incoming (let's hope).

44 minutes ago, pantherj said:

With many of Gettleman's draft picks not panning out, including DT Vernon Butler who didn't receive the fifth year option offer, the Panthers happen to have room and need for a DT. We need to keep our DT rotation fresh and talented, and the real McCoy is here all day today. Signing incoming (let's hope).

Hopefully we sign McCoy and then Butler balls out as a rotational player...

Having a strong defensive interior is just as important in a 3-4 as the edge rush.

Von Miller got the most publicity in 2015 and rightfully so, but that defensive interior for the Broncos was no joke either... once Norwell went out we weren't blocking well across the entire line.

Anyway, I digress. 

Butler has certainly not lived up to his draft position but I hope for us and him he has his best year.

30 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Hopefully we sign McCoy and then Butler balls out as a rotational player...

Having a strong defensive interior is just as important in a 3-4 as the edge rush.

Von Miller got the most publicity in 2015 and rightfully so, but that defensive interior for the Broncos was no joke either... once Norwell went out we weren't blocking well across the entire line.

Anyway, I digress. 

Butler has certainly not lived up to his draft position but I hope for us and him he has his best year.

Butler wouldn't have lived up to his draft position if he was a 4th rounder. Let's be honest, he's been a straight up bust. If we land McCoy to bolster the position, it honestly wouldn't shock me if Butler didn't make the final roster.

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Butler wouldn't have lived up to his draft position if he was a 4th rounder. Let's be honest, he's been a straight up bust. If we land McCoy to bolster the position, it honestly wouldn't shock me if Butler didn't make the final roster.

Unfortunately it’s very likely McCoy and Butler would be filling two different roles on our 3-4 D (DE vs. NT), so I don’t see McCoy’s signing having any effect on Butler’s status. 

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Unfortunately it’s very likely McCoy and Butler would be filling two different roles on our 3-4 D (DE vs. NT), so I don’t see McCoy’s signing having any effect on Butler’s status. 

I could see the coaches thinking that Love could fill a similar role. Butler may be bigger, but he plays smaller. 

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't disagree with you that Butler has sucked, but he was never a very good fit for the 4-3 IMO.  Not that he'll suddenly become better in the 3-4, but I like his chances there a bit more.  I think his upside at this point is as a dependable run stopper, which obviously isn't worth the 1st round pick we spent on him but hopefully he can provide us with some semblance of value this year.

It isn't looking good for him though.  One thing Rivera and the coaching staff have been good at is developing players.  Usually the guys who don't work for us didn't because they actually sucked (ie. Benjamin).  If the Panthers haven't been able to get squat out of Butler, then he probably does suck that much.

Terrell McClain is the only guy I can think of who we didn't get much out of but ended up having some success on other teams, but even that success were merely as a starter/stop-gap DT.  Plus Rod Marinelli >>>>

Archived