• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Thomas

Pantherxtreme

The Panthers are really limiting their offense by not playing the most explosive tight end on the roster along with Greg Olson, not sure if it's the tight end coach or the head coach whose making the decisions. But Manertz the blocking aficionado I'm not seeing it, he has cost us several penalties though and doesn't bring anything to offense but clue the defense that a run might be coming. 

Unfortunately, it's exactly what I feared would happen. Our backup receiving TE is treated like CAP was - essentially invisible unless the starter gets hurt. When we go two TEs we're basically just bringing in another blocker, except that Manhertz can't even block. We should just bring in another OT as a tackle eligible rather than play Manhertz.

Ian Thomas is the only dynamic TE on the roster. Greg Olsen runs good routes but he is not going to break tackles or run past anyone. I dont understand why they decided to run a TE screen with Olsen.

When we put Manhertz on the field we limit ourselves and give defenses a break. Chris Manhertz is self check player. You dont need to account for him. The only time he can make a play is off trickery and he is wide open 20 yards down the field. We need to start spreading the ball to other targets besides Olsen and CMC. 

I remember that great year Cam had when we ran a two TE offense with Shockley and Olsen. Ian Thomas showed he could be a legitimate threat filling in for Olsen while he was injured last year. Yet, he probably won't see any action unless Greg is hurt or he's coming in for mop up duty.

It seems having two receiving threats at TE makes it harder for defenses to lock in on anyone and could possibly even improve what is already a solid running game. If some are afraid that it takes away a slot receiver, you could always motion Christian outside because he runs routes as good (if not better) than most of the slot guys in the league, or just continue sending  him out on routes  from the backfield. 

Great coaching staffs find ways to get their play-makers on the field. Look at the offense the Pats ran when they had Gronk and Hernandez. If Belichik and McDaniels had our TE's to work with I think they would be grinning from ear to ear.

2 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

The Panthers are really limiting their offense by not playing the most explosive tight end on the roster along with Greg Olson, not sure if it's the tight end coach or the head coach whose making the decisions. But Manertz the blocking aficionado I'm not seeing it, he has cost us several penalties though and doesn't bring anything to offense but clue the defense that a run might be coming. 

I hate to say it but Greg doesn’t look good and hasn’t in a sometime. I hope he and Cam find that swag again but I fear Gregs time has come and gone. At this point it seems he is Cams coach on the field which might be a blessing on the field. 

Olsen needs to start catching balls.  Some of them were on Cam and him both, but his head is in the press box and not hurting his foot.  He needs to retire.  I'm sick of his whiny ass, always a little bitch when reporters ask him questions and cant catch a cold.  Hes the new Funchess.  Rant over.

Archived