• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2019-2020 Hurricanes Regular Season Thread

KillerKat

20 hours ago, KillerKat said:

We need to make a move at goaltender immediately. Then start working on getting another defenseman and/or goal scoring forward.

I disagree. We should stay patient at the goaltender position. Yes, our goalies have not been good this year, but our D has hung them out to dry way too much with bad pinches, breakdowns in our zone, etc. Those are fixable errors that coaching and the current players need to and can fix. If there were a long term solution at goaltender available on the market for a reasonable price that gives us good value, then sure. But there just isn’t. Lehner would either be a rental or you’d significantly overpay him, huge risk considering his off-ice struggles. There are some options available in free agency, and we have some possibilities in the pipeline. I think we should give Ned some starts this year though if Mrazek keeps playing like this. Reimer should be the 1A for now.

I like the idea of adding a defenseman, depending on how long Dougie is out and where we stand by the time the trade deadline gets here. If we turn it around and gain some ground and are firmly in the top 3 in the metro just before the trade deadline, and Dougie seems like he’ll be back for the playoffs then I might stand pat. But if we’re barely hanging onto a playoff spot or even out of it or Dougie is out for the whole year then, yeah add a rental D or even one with term, but don’t overpay. I like the idea of Vatanen, as a rental even but more if we could extend him reasonably. 

Not a fan of the forwards available this deadline. Plus we’re kinda loaded at middle 6 and bottom 6 forward as it is. I’d love to get a legit scoring 2C to move Staal down or a legit top 6 scoring winger, but those guys just aren’t available for reasonable costs. I say stick with what we’ve got there and keep developing our guys in the pipeline.

1 hour ago, cookinbrak said:

We miss Dougie a ton. And I can't blame Mrazek tonight, stupid penalties and no offense.

We definitely miss him. We've also had a tough schedule. Were 5-3 in our last 8 all against teams currently in playoff position. So it could be worse. I'm torn because I'd like to see the team make some sort of trade, but I know long term it might be prudent to hang on to our assets. We have two picks in each of the first three rounds. In my mind we have some capital to burn and still be in good shape regarding future prospects. Do we trade some of these for a defensemen rental? I'm not sure.

I do know that in the Canes market it is very important for us to get into the playoffs just to maintain excitement. We really have no choice after all that front loaded money given to Aho, we have to be competitive. We have to drive season ticket sales to justify that OS match. 

It's looking more and more like we should have resigned Faulk or retained Dehaan. I know Dehaan is injured but that doesnt mean it would have happened with us.

It appears to me like we're lacking some heaviness on the ice,  Ferland would have been nice to keep.

For sure though....some of the players we've brought in just arent working the way we've thought. Dzingle has under performed. Haula started out super hot but since the injury and the personal tragedy hes fizzled out. Aho is a vulture as he gets a lot of cleanup goals and empty netters but very rarely do you see slap shot goals or one on one and finishes. It's always 5 hole with him. Svech is our one real stud.

We're lacking some heaviness on our lines and right now our forecheck is looking poor. Without Dougie, too much pressure is being put on our forwards to produce goals and it makes us more one dimensional. Slavin while great at D and possessing some offensive skill lacks the creativity to consistently score even if he has a nice shot. Bottom line, we have some holes right now.

Quite honestly whether it looks like it or not...Roddy is doing one hell of a job coaching this team. Considering the Dougie injury and the chain reaction its caused with forwards scoring and the inconsistency at the goaltending position.

22 hours ago, Harbingers said:

So I just managed to catch a period of hockey. And holy fug. We are playing soft. No wonder we are slacking. 

Refs didn’t help... that was one of the most poorly officiated games I’ve seen in a few years.

Archived