• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alex Smith?

Proudiddy

He's taken back over the 49ers starting spot and he's not locked up past this year. I have always been impressed with his physical skills and he's still relatively young. I think some of his struggles in SF have been due to changes in coordinators, systems, and trying to impress different coaches. I really think he could be a legitimate option as our QB next year and beyond. I really hope he tests the FA market after the season and doesn't re-sign...

I wonder if the shoulder surgery he had would be something that could bother him in the future?

We may be able to see what he has to offer for the rest of the year. After that, we will be able to make some type of intelligent judgment either way. Until then, I will withhold giving an opinion yea or nay depending on his efforts.

I must say, however, that his losing effort last weekend was pretty impressive, and would have been downright spectacular had Frisco pulled off the victory. In light of that, the Kool Aid tastes great at the moment.

meh....

most thought that david carr's problems had to do with him being on a crappy team.

not buying. i'd rather see what moore has. crap, i'd rather see mccown get a chance. smith...if he's available and really cheap and we were going to have a real competition for the job, sure why not give him a shot? i just wouldn't put much on the line for him.

Carr went from one crappy team to another.

I'm a huge fan of Alex Smiths and realistically him and Jason Campbell are the only starters not locked up next year who may be available. If he lights it up I can see the 9ers offering him bucks to keep him, but if he is sick of being there, he might want to get the hell out and we'd be a relatively attractive option, especially with our line, Smith and the run game.

See how he goes though.

I used to live in Utah, and go to the University of Utah at the same time Alex Smith was there, and the year after he left.

I guess that I look a lot like him because people used to actually mistake me for him all the time, and I cant tell you how many people came up to me and told me that I look exactly like him. Im pretty much the same height and weight as him too.

True story.

• 1 month later...

I bumped the thread b/c I think the guy is a legitimate option as a franchise QB. He looked great against Arizona for the most part and the other games I've watched him in. I think some stability in the coaching ranks would do him wonders...

Problem is, I just looked up his contract status and apparently he signed a 2-year extension this year in March to restructure his contract... So there went that idea - Jason Campbell HERE WE COME!!!

I bumped the thread b/c I think the guy is a legitimate option as a franchise QB. He looked great against Arizona for the most part and the other games I've watched him in. I think some stability in the coaching ranks would do him wonders...

Problem is, I just looked up his contract status and apparently he signed a 2-year extension this year in March to restructure his contract... So there went that idea - Jason Campbell HERE WE COME!!!

Thanks for clearing this up. I feel he would have been a good option if he had been available. Jason Campbell???Maybe!

Campbell can play. With a new GM and Shanahan a probability, I doubt the Redskins will let him go now....even if Shanahan finds the next great QB in the draft, he will keep Campbell.

...same for Alex Smith. Alex will not leave San Fran for Charlotte.

if Fox/Hurney are still here, god knows what they might do. I pray for a fresh look at our needs and our talent.

Archived