• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

GAULDEN...SIT OR RELEASE?!

ncstatekwi

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh, it turned out bad, but third round picks that turn into solid nfl players are relatively rare.  Maybe 1 in 3 or 4 last more than three years. 

I disagree, but accepting the premise we didn't even get that.

Gaulden hardly played the entire time he was here, and when he did it wasn't good.

50 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh, it turned out bad, but third round picks that turn into solid nfl players are relatively rare.  Maybe 1 in 3 or 4 last more than three years. 

Taking a player like Gaulden, with his obvious lack of athleticism, at the S position in todays NFL is just a disaster waiting to happen.

11 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

He was already sitting, so they released him.

I guess Ron is going to throw out players now that he's floundering. I would rather do it in the off-season.

Well don't forget, last year one of the secrets to defensive improvement was firing the assistant defensive backs coach.

(while naturally keeping Richard Rodgers in his job)

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well don't forget, last year one of the secrets to defensive improvement was firing the assistant defensive backs coach.

(while naturally keeping Richard Rodgers in his job)

Ron fuging Rivera. What a piece of work.

I'm trying not to get myself too excited, but just the idea of anyone else next season really stirs me. I'm usually pretty conservative with large team changes, but it's been time.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I disagree, but accepting the premise we didn't even get that.

Gaulden hardly played the entire time he was here, and when he did it wasn't good.

Yeah, Gaulden was a bad pick.  

But I saw some stats that only 30-35% of third rounders last more than four years in the NFL.  Or maybe it was last four years with the team that drafted them. Even for first rounders, its only 50-60%.  Which is why I believe that with draft picks, it might be more about the number of picks you have instead of the order you pick, or the ranking of your picks.  

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

But I saw some stats that only 30-35% of third rounders last more than four years in the NFL.  Or maybe it was last four years with the team that drafted them. Even for first rounders, its only 50-60%.  Which is why I believe that with draft picks, it might be more about the number of picks you have instead of the order you pick, or the ranking of your picks.  

People who do sports statistical analysis will tell you this absolutely the case. Given that drafting is an inexact science even after investing millions in payroll to scouting depts with years and years of experience, more picks is always the more savvy move than trading up.

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

To add onto what you responded to me with....the Panthers last 4 third round picks have been.

Will Grier

Rashaan Gaulden

Daeshon Hall

Daryl Worley

That is an awful haul of players.  We need someone who can do better.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

To add onto what you responded to me with....the Panthers last 4 third round picks have been.

Will Grier

Rashaan Gaulden

Daeshon Hall

Daryl Worley

That is an awful haul of players.  We need someone who can do better.

Worley is on his fourth year and is likely to stick around for a while. He was a decent pick for a third rounder, just couldn't get it together mentally.  Also, if you look back at Hurney's overall third round picks, its quite a hall. 

I personally don't have an issue with Hurney's drafting.  IMO, if you get three decent to good players out of a draft, that is a very good haul  

Archived