• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Cam Newton play football for the Carolina Panthers in the 2020-2021 season?

SBiii

Will Cam Newton play football for the Carolina Panthers in the 2020-2021 season?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. At the suggestion of @ickmule the question is posed to the broader membership.

• Yes --- Cam will play for the Panthers in the 2020-2021 season.
    • No --- Cam will not play for the Panthers in the 2020-2021 season.

1 hour ago, bigdog10 said:

Cams not playing as a one year rental and Tepper isn’t giving a qb who’s been injured two straight years an extension.  I honestly can’t blame either. 

I believe this will result in a holdout through camp and preseason. 

Good on you for getting on the record with a holdout/stalemate prediction. 

I agree with u that Tepp won't extend him but on the flipside I believe Cam will make the bet on himself and play out the final year of his current conract.

(all predicated on getting healthy obviously)

My hope is that he comes back and plays next year. 

I also hope we don't extend him until we see him do so.  He may not like that, but in all honesty, when you have not played a game healthy in a season and a half, and been unavailable for 16 of those 24 games, you don't hold a lot of cards.  There may even be doubt in his own mind whether he can or wants to go through the treadmill of NFL seasons again, considering the injuries and rehab.

I don't think he has the trade value some here think he does, at least right now.  Having said that, PT Barnum (or his assistant) was correct, and in fact was an optimist.  His observation especially applies to NFL franchises in constant searches for a QB.

One more thing, though.  Expecting him to return to 2015 style is foolishness.  The injuries and a few more years of age make that highly unlikely, an unrealistic barometer, and will lead to disappointment.  We have a stable of running backs (notice the "s" on the  end, Rivera) for a reason.  If the only times he runs are on 3rd and 1s, extending the pocket until a receiver gets open, or moving for his life (an unfortunate reality of prowess at building offensive lines), I'd be happy.  I'd be happier if the last one is rare, but he has no control over that.  I'll live with those limitations if the progress he made in early 2018 in more efficient passing continues.

That's what I want.  Now what will happen is a function of an awful lot of variables.  His health, who the coach is, who the GM is and whether he can tell an offensive lineman from a electric company power lineman, Tepper's viewpoint, and perhaps how right PT Barnum was.

3 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Sbii makes one Cam thread a day asking the same question..

I think he believes if he talks about it enough he can change what's going to happen. It's kind of like clapping for Tinkerbell to live.

In truth, whatever happens is going to happen regardless of what any of us believe or want.

Afraid I'm with Igo at the moment. Granted, things could change. I just don't think they will.

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think he believes if he talks about it enough he can change what's going to happen. It's kind of like clapping for Tinkerbell to live.

In truth, whatever happens is going to happen regardless of what any of us believe or want.

Afraid I'm with Igo at the moment. Granted, things could change. I just don't think they will.

So, in your opinion, what happens?

Cut?  Or traded?

Has to be one of the 2.

If traded, where's he going?

No explanation needed...just say why and where. 

Betting you won't...

Just now, SBiii said:

So, in your opinion, what happens?

Cut?  Or traded?

Has to be one of the 2.

If traded, where's he going?

No explanation needed...just say why and where. 

Betting you won't...

Betting it doesn't matter.

If he's not here, he's not here. Doesn't really make any difference how it happens.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Unless they want to give him the freedom to go wherever he wants to go.

I'd rather get something back too but I could see the team doing that as a favor to him.

I could see that as well.  I was thinking Tennessee could be a nice spot for him being somewhat close to Charlotte.  Not to mention the AFC!  If he agrees maybe we could get a decent pick. 

Archived