• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who does Josh Allen remind you of...

Jmac

2 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

You didn’t say it, but your jumping in the conversation between @PantherPhann and I, signified to me that you were trying to defend Josh Allen being a more accurate QB than Cam Newton.

Otherwise, what is the point in saying what you said to me? Again, if completion % isn’t a good measure of accuracy, then what is?

Did it actually signify that or is that just what you assumed?

Try going back and reading what I said objectively.

3 minutes ago, DamnItJake! said:

Cam. is pretty inconsistent with his high throws!! And when he does hit the receivers are in shock !! Just sayin!! His slow demeanor to the line drives me crazy!! I like Allen getting up and fast and trying to see things!! He’s frustrating but I like him!! Next year will be interesting .. I think we keep him and Cam!! Cam goes down again.. Allen is the man!!

Well, if Cam is inconsistent, then I think it’s fair to say that Kyle is just as inconsistent, as their completion % are around the same.

Can you show me proof that receivers are in shock when he hits them? Again, both Kyle and Cam have completion %’s that are close, so if they are in shock due to Cams passes, then I would imagine they are when Allen connects

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Did it actually signify that or is that just what you assumed?

Try going back and reading what I said objectively.

Ehh, I don’t need to go back.

Why did you feel the need to tell me that completion % isnt a good metric to go by? 

Also, if completion % isn’t a good metric, then what is?

Just now, AggieLean said:

Ehh, I don’t need to go back.

Why did you feel the need to tell me that completion % isnt a good metric to go by? 

Also, if completion % isn’t a good metric, then what is?

Because it isn't.

I don't know which one of them has a higher completion percentage and I don't care. Hell, WCO quarterbacks always have really high completion percentages. It's why they're usually overrated.

They're both Favre types. I don't give a rip whether one has a 65.2 percentage and the other has a 65.9 percentage or whatever. So what? People get hung up on numbers that don't mean sh-t when you're out there playing a game.

As far as which one I think is more accurate, I already answered Mav on that front.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because it isn't.

I don't know which one of them has a higher completion percentage and I don't care. Hell, WCO quarterbacks always have really high completion percentages. It's why they're usually overrated.

They're both Favre types. I don't give a rip whether one has a 65.2 percentage and the other has a 65.9 percentage or whatever. So what? People get hung up on numbers that don't mean sh-t when you're out there playing a game.

As far as which one I think is more accurate, I already answered Mav on that front.

I guess.

I still don’t understand you quoting me and trying to explain why completion % isn’t a good metric, while not giving an alternative, and completely ignoring the poster that said Allen was more accurate than Cam. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think there's a huge difference either way but if I have to pick one, probably Newton, at least as long as we're talking about the Norv Turner coached version of Newton. Allen's good but he's still young and kinda raw.

it'll be interesting to see how Josh Allen develops.  I agree with you that he is raw and young.  Cam definitely seems overall more accurate, but it is close.  Josh Allen has similar strengths and weaknesses to what Cam had in his passing game early

Just now, AggieLean said:

I guess.

I still don’t understand you quoting me and trying to explain why completion % isn’t a good metric, while not giving an alternative, and completely ignoring the poster that said Allen was more accurate than Cam. 

Believe it or not, not every single word I write is about Cam Newton.

I told you that I don't believe in completion percentage as a good measuring stick because I don't. If you want an illustration as to why, do what I just did and go back to the last full season that Newton played in 2017.

Newton's completion percentage for that year was 59.1, a tenth above Trevor Siemian. Check the full list and you'll find Andy Dalton, Mitch Trubisky, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston and Blake Bortles all had higher percentages.

Would you take any of those names over Newton? I damn sure wouldn't.

Completion percentage is a misleading stat, period. That fact has no bearing on whether Cam Newton or Josh Allen is a more accurate passer.

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

it'll be interesting to see how Josh Allen develops.  I agree with you that he is raw and young.  Cam definitely seems overall more accurate, but it is close.  Josh Allen has similar strengths and weaknesses to what Cam had in his passing game early

He's probably getting better coaching than Newton did at that point in his career.

I know everybody talks about the early records and everything, but what stands out to me is just how much better Newton looked as a quarterback after one offseason under Norv Turner.

The further removed we get from those early seasons, the less confidence I have in the coaching staff that was running them.

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

How do you figure Josh is more accurate? After 2 years in the league, Cams completion % was better? 

Haven't actually crunched numbers, just looking at overall game play, performance and command. Cam seems to go off script more to me, instead of just making one play at a time. 

7 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Haven't actually crunched numbers, just looking at overall game play, performance and command. Cam seems to go off script more to me, instead of just making one play at a time. 

To be fair, how much of that is actually deciding to go off script as opposed to needing to go off script because somebody missed their block?

2 hours ago, nickzz said:

not sure how comparing the 2 is disrespectful. josh allen was compared to cam coming out of college. he also looks pretty good right now.

Crazy how y’all forgot how good Cam was/is even early on. He set records out of the gate without a good defense. Josh Allen isn’t that. 

6 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Crazy how y’all forgot how good Cam was/is even early on. He set records out of the gate without a good defense. Josh Allen isn’t that. 

I remember how good Cam was, and I respect him for it.  I don't think Allen is as good as Cam or anything like that; quite the opposite.

One way we show respect to great players is by talking about how younger guys resemble them in some respects; that is no knock on the person we're comparing 'em to, at least not when we are talking about someone as good as Cam.

So yeah.  I think Josh Allen reminds me of Cam in how he plays the game.  He's just not as mobile IMO.  But more mobile for a big guy than any other QB I can think of right now other than Cam.

Archived