• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who to Root for (Week 15)

Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.

With the Panthers officially eliminated from the playoffs, it is time to turn our attention toward draft stock.  This is the list of teams to root for in Week 15 to improve the Panthers draft capital.

As of now, the Panther currently would have the 12th pick in the draft. Tied with 4 other teams at 5-8, the Panthers have by far the greatest strength of schedule, dropping them to last among those 4 teams. I will be looking at 2 factors to aid in determining the best outcome for Carolina. Does a win possibly move a team ahead of Carolina in the draft order, or does a win help/hurt Carolina's strength of schedule (SOS).  Remember that a higher SOS is bad for draft order. I will list games in order of perceived importance and assuming we lose. 

New York Jets @ Baltimore Ravens: A Jets win moves them to 6-8 and directly improves our draft position.

Minnesota Vikings @ LA Chargers: A Chargers win moves them to 6-8 and directly improves our draft position.

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs: A Broncos win moves them to 6-8 and directly improves our draft position. 

Atlanta Falcons @ San Francisco 49ers. A Falcons win would potentially tie them with Carolina at 5-9.  They are one of the few teams with a higher SOS (.555 vs .536), so our draft position would directly improve, though this would minimally increase our SOS as we played ATL twice and SF only once. 

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Oakland Raiders: A Jaguars win would potentially tie them with Carolina at 5-9. Though they have a lower SOS, we would need another Jaguars win in order to move ahead of them in the draft order. This would negatively increase our SOS. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Detroit Lions: A Lions win moves them to 4-9-1, and they would remain half a game ahead of us in draft draft position.  We would need another lions win in order to move ahead of them in the draft order. This also favorably lowers our SOS. Tampa would also remain behind Carolina in the draft order having 6 wins. 

Cleveland Browns @ Arizona Cardinals: A Cardinals win moves them to 4-9-1, and they would remain half a game ahead of us in draft draft position. We would need another Cardinals win in order to move ahead of them in the draft order.  This chance to move up comes at a price, as it would increase our SOS. 

Miami Dolphins @ New York Giants: If the Dolphins win their remaining 3 football games, We could move ahead of them in the draft order. As their SOS sits at .490, we would lose the tie breaker. 

Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins: If the Redskins win their remaining 3 football games, We could move ahead of them in the draft order. As their SOS sits at .483, we would lose the tie breaker. This chance to move up comes at a price, as it would increase our SOS. 

Indianapolis Colts @ New Orlean Saints: A Colts win would move them to 7 wins. This does not have a direct effect on our draft position, but allows for Carolina to accidently win another game without directly losing a draft spot to the Colts whose SOS is lower (.486). A Saints loss also favorably lowers our SOS.

Chicago Bears @ Green Bay Packers:  A Bears win would move them to 8 wins. A Packers loss favorably lowers our SOS. 

LA Rams @ Dallas Cowboys: A Cowboys win moves them to 7 wins. A Rams loss favorably lowers our SOS. 

Games that don't have an impact:

Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans

New England Patriots @ Cincinnati Bengals

Buffalo Bills @ Pittsburgh Steelers

The Panthers currently sit at pick 12. If the perfect scenario occurs this weekend, we could move as high as 8th, jumping the Broncos, Chargers, Jets, and Falcons (higher SOS). We could move up 4 Spots to pick 8, conversely a win could possibly catapult us as low as pick 17

36 minutes ago, CardiacCat said:

A win would make me, as a Panthers fan, happy..... Tired of the "lose to win" discussions.  If our position in the draft "improves" by other teams winning/losing in the remaining weeks that would be great.   

To each their own. Even if there is a sliver of a chance at a playoff appearance, I am all for hoping for the best and cheering on the Panthers.  Once we are eliminated, it is all about making the team better for next year IMO. And that entails improved draft capitol and young players getting experience over veterans.

I think this is never as important as it is this season. We will be overhauling the coaching staff, and a team with higher draft capitol may be a huge selling point to a future GM/Head Coach. Whether the team won or lost its last 3 games without its head coach feels relatively unimportant.  Remember, the difference between picking 8th and 17th doesn't just affect the first round of the draft, it affects every round.  

For comparison, when evaluating draft capitol (The values for each pick were determined by Jimmy Johnson and are widely used), the team currently sitting with the 8th pick has an estimated draft capitol value of 2,574.6 and the team drafting at 19th has an estimated draft capitol value of 1,489.   This makes a huge difference in not only the quality of players we are able to draft, but also may sway a GM to choose Carolina over another team. 

I do however see the painful irony in not actively rooting for your team to win. For me, it helps justify the loses and makes what is about to be a very sad ending to the season bearable. 

Let me provide an analogy. Yes, going out to eat may be nice. It provides immediate positive feelings. But sometimes, you need to put that money away for retirement. 

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I remember 2010 when I was actively rooting for the team to lose so we could get the #1 pick. 

We got Cam. I regret nothing.

I used to feel bad about rooting for the team to lose---when winning gets you nothing and losing helps you in the long term, then what should a fan do?

Just now, MHS831 said:

I used to feel bad about rooting for the team to lose---when winning gets you nothing and losing helps you in the long term, then what should a fan do?

Logically, for me at least, was root for them to lose. 

I mean we don't have a head coach, we might have a new GM, and our starting QB is down for the year. The best thing for the team long term is for them to lose. 

Won't fault anyone for wanting to see the team succeed. I won't fault anyone for wanting to see the team  improve their draft stock. It's the people that call the others "Not true fans" that are the worst. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

To each their own. Even if there is a sliver of a chance at a playoff appearance, I am all for hoping for the best and cheering on the Panthers.  Once we are eliminated, it is all about making the team better for next year IMO. And that entails improved draft capitol and young players getting experience over veterans.

I think this is never as important as it is this season. We will be overhauling the coaching staff, and a team with higher draft capitol may be a huge selling point to a future GM/Head Coach. Whether the team won or lost its last 3 games without its head coach feels relatively unimportant.  Remember, the difference between picking 8th and 17th doesn't just affect the first round of the draft, it affects every round.  

For comparison, when evaluating draft capitol (The values for each pick were determined by Jimmy Johnson and are widely used), the team currently sitting with the 8th pick has an estimated draft capitol value of 2,574.6 and the team drafting at 19th has an estimated draft capitol value of 1,489.   This makes a huge difference in not only the quality of players we are able to draft, but also may sway a GM to choose Carolina over another team. 

I do however see the painful irony in not actively rooting for your team to win. For me, it helps justify the loses and makes what is about to be a very sad ending to the season bearable. 

Let me provide an analogy. Yes, going out to eat may be nice. It provides immediate positive feelings. But sometimes, you need to put that money away for retirement. 

ok boomer

Archived