• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Cam Contract Extension Possibility

CanadianCat

With intelligent football minds in charge, the Panthers could turn things around within a season or two.  It remains to be seen if those intelligent minds will be hired in the coming months or not.  Until that happens, I can't see how Cam or the Panthers could (or would want to) come to any agreement on future compensation for his services. 

21 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

With intelligent football minds in charge, the Panthers could turn things around within a season or two.  It remains to be seen if those intelligent minds will be hired in the coming months or not.  Until that happens, I can't see how Cam or the Panthers could (or would want to) come to any agreement on future compensation for his services. 

Hurney realistically needs to go, but I'm frankly baffled by your near defense of Ron Rivera as of late considering you've been watching the same games we all have. The man had been coaching the same way trying not to lose for the last decade despite generational talent on both sides of the ball. In fact it was often that generational talent on offense that saved him when his penchant for sitting on a slim lead tried to bite us in the ass yet again. That's not even mentioning how after the 2015 season he only settled for hiring from within or only interviewing his old pals while his former coordinators like Sean McDermott went on to put together their own solid football teams while the league passed him by. He ended his time here very similarly to John Fox, and like him Ron will get hired again elsewhere but unless he truly evolves as a head coach he will fizzle out and do so losing to more innovative coaches just like Fox did.

17 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Hurney realistically needs to go, but I'm frankly baffled by your near defense of Ron Rivera as of late considering you've been watching the same games we all have. The man had been coaching the same way trying not to lose for the last decade despite generational talent on both sides of the ball. In fact it was often that generational talent on offense that saved him when his penchant for sitting on a slim lead tried to bite us in the ass yet again. That's not even mentioning how after the 2015 season he only settled for hiring from within or only interviewing his old pals while his former coordinators like Sean McDermott went on to put together their own solid football teams while the league passed him by. He ended his time here very similarly to John Fox, and like him Ron will get hired again elsewhere but unless he truly evolves as a head coach he will fizzle out and do so losing to more innovative coaches just like Fox did.

Pretty much agree with everything here other than the defense of Rivera part, though I can see how someone might interpret my recent comments that way.

Essentially, I view Marty Hurney as having been the biggest impediment to success for the Panthers during the last 20 years (but not the only one).

Rivera and Fox aren't great coaches, but when paired with an average to slightly above average GM (not named Marty Hurney) they have both experienced their greatest professional success as HCs.  I don't believe that's simply a coincidence.

Rivera will likely get another HC job in this league.   If Ron is paired with a semi competent GM I suspect he will field a competitive team despite his antiquated approach to the game.  

Bottom line:  Marty Hurney should have been the first casualty, not Rivera.

14 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Pretty much agree with everything here other than the defense of Rivera part, though I can see how someone might interpret my recent comments that way.

Essentially, I view Marty Hurney as having been the biggest impediment to success for the Panthers during the last 20 years (but not the only one).

Rivera and Fox aren't great coaches, but when paired with an average to slightly above average GM (not named Marty Hurney) they have both experienced their greatest professional success as HCs.  I don't believe that's simply a coincidence.

Rivera will likely get another HC job in this league.   If Ron is paired with a semi competent GM I suspect he will field a competitive team despite his antiquated approach to the game.  

Technically, he was, we just had a stupid owner.

17 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I can get on board with all of that.

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Haha! Yeah, you are right about that, and yet here we are, Marty is like a bad case of athlete's foot, just when you think he's gone, he's back again.

Like the hammy in training camp....just seems to linger and linger and linger.

It really is amazing that Tepper thinks it's a good idea to let this guy have a key to the building.

Just now, thefuzz said:

Like the hammy in training camp....just seems to linger and linger and linger.

It really is amazing that Tepper thinks it's a good idea to let this guy have a key to the building.

This is from the Albert Breer article:

he [Tepper] maintained ambiguity in with me how the next head coach, incumbent GM Marty Hurney and a new personnel executive-to-be-hired would fall on the flow chart. 

Turns out, he [Tepper] will make one hire, with a title to be established later. 

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

This is from the Albert Breer article:

he [Tepper] maintained ambiguity in with me how the next head coach, incumbent GM Marty Hurney and a new personnel executive-to-be-hired would fall on the flow chart. 

Turns out, he [Tepper] will make one hire, with a title to be established later. 

I am guessing/hoping that Tepper puts Hurney in a box, dramatically limiting Marty's decision making authority.

My only question is, why continue to allow Marty to hold the title of GM if he isn't worthy of it?

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I am guessing/hoping that Tepper puts Hurney in a box, dramatically limiting Marty's decision making authority.

My only question is, why continue to allow Marty to hold the title of GM if he isn't worthy of it?

Could he possibly think that getting rid of Hurney would make the fans even more apathetic?

I mean, it's kinda the only answer that makes sense at this point, but talk about not feeling the pulse.

17 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Could he possibly think that getting rid of Hurney would make the fans even more apathetic?

I mean, it's kinda the only answer that makes sense at this point, but talk about not feeling the pulse.

You need someone to run the draft in a couple of months. They’ve been out in the field scouting all year. Tepper could technically hire someone who has been out in the field but that limits you somewhat. 

also have to wait until the season is over to start looking at people who already have jobs. You need someone to run the day to day stuff to finish out the season. There’s no point in firing him or removing his sole power at this point. I’m honestly not worried and i obviously think hurney is generally terrible as a GM.

Archived