• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 34 and why it didn't work this year

Matt62881

I hated the 34 until I understood it, it is harder to build but with a higher ceiling. This might sound crazy but a team who has a proper 34 front but has ALOT more issues then us is the Redskins...its deadly when ran right, hard to run against and generate high pressure.

15 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

DE: Kawann Short

NT: top 10 monster NT

DE: Poe and Gerald McCoy on passing downs

OLB: Brian Burns 

MLB: Luke Kuechly 

MLB: Shaq Thompson 

OLB: Bruce Irvin

Just my opinion, to me this would be similar to the 2015 broncos and that who we want to emulate , they did it right......it can create the most dangerous d in the league, harder to create but much higher ceiling then the 43.

No. The 2015 broncos were a OL team with a QB basically being gifted a SB sunset. 

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

No. The 2015 broncos were a OL team with a QB basically being gifted a SB sunset. 

Yea we got screwed but their offense did nothing. Its hard to watch but that defense got us...even scored the points that won. We sacked them plenty and stopped the offense good enough to win. Peyton was awful...int to early who also had 3 sacks.

1 minute ago, Matt62881 said:

I always talk about luke but sometimes shaq would be hit by a olineman and luke would be free with both a gaps to control...you can't have 1 lb controlling both a gaps.

Shaq is even more lost going 1 on 1 with an Olinemen. It isn't just size but lacking technique on avoiding blockers. They just hadn't had much experience in the scheme with those kinds of fits. 

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Shaq is even more lost going 1 on 1 with an Olinemen. It isn't just size but lacking technique on avoiding blockers. They just hadn't had much experience in the scheme with those kinds of fits. 

But lbs aren't supposed to have to shed olineman, that is a failure up front. The largest Lb is still giving up massive weight on them and the refs allow them to grab and hold the lbs...I watched luke in one game get put in a choke hold.

1 hour ago, Forty-Eight said:

DE: Kawann Short

NT: Danny Shelton - Leki Fotu

DE: Gerald McCoy

OLB: Brian Burns 

MLB: Luke Kuechly 

MLB: Shaq Thompson 

OLB: Von Miller

Don't give hurney ideas. He will blow tepper so he can blow backloaded money on talent no one else wants

3 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

I hate to tell you guys that think the 34 is bad and keek cant play in it we are probably still going to run it unless we get a old school coach. Keek and shaq regardless of getting mugged by olineman all year still finished at the top of the list in tackles, they are two of the best ilb in the league and keek is the best. The whole problem we had is we went in with no depth at 34 NT/DE. We had more then enough lbs that could play it! Poe in his prime would have been fine and KK is better at taking on olineman then given credit for. The 34 requires two front lineman to hopefully block two olineman a piece keeping the lbs clean and giving 1 DE and a lb one on ones. Thing is they both got hurt...we need depth. The hope is to force them into passing downs so you can take out one of the NT style DE and replace him with a guy like McCoy. Kk-NT-Poe or draft NT on run downs and KK-NT-Mccoy on passing downs.

In theory this Defense would have worked but like I've stated several times, Injuries absolutely did this team in. Silver lining is that it also did Rivera In and we won't have to deal with mediocrity anymore. 

Had KK and Poe not gotten injured, this would be a differently story. The depth was there but the injuries kept piling up. I mean you had Odaba filling in there at NT at times. I'm not sure if Love was sent to IR as well? Probably wasn't but it almost feels like it. McCoy has done a decent job but there's only so much one guy can do. Butler even came in and was doing an Okay job but again, wasn't enough. 

The Hybrid idea was a novel one but I think at times it was trying to do much, it's an interesting concept but was not executed correctly. Mostly due to injury. 

4 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

But lbs aren't supposed to have to shed olineman, that is a failure up front. The largest Lb is still giving up massive weight on them and the refs allow them to grab and hold the lbs...I watched luke in one game get put in a choke hold.

In a 4-3 it is reasonable to expect linebackers to have some room to run. But let's be real here. When teams pull guards and use fullbacks against a 3-4 you end up invariably with linebackers having to take on blockers and work through to the running back. A failure to do has led to more 20 yard runs on us than anyone in the league. The Dline is a problem for sure but it is naive to think that just getting a huge guy at nose is going to suddenly fix the awful run defense.

And part of Luke's issue is that to avoid more concussions he changed how he tackled and blocked staying upright and trying to wrestle a player down by his shoulders rather than going lower as he used to. It also makes him easier to block and take out of the play.

9 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

I really dont get the thought that luke cant play in the 34, his assignments are almost identical. He was mugged by olineman this year, it will make any lb look worse, he would have looked bad in the 43 too...if you think he looked bad. He still played at a very high level and in the first part of the year was easily the best lb in the league.

He didn't look bad.  He just wasn't Luke.  We dont have 3-4 NTs.  Go back to 43.  and gap assignments are not the same.

Archived