• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jim Harbaugh, what's he up to lately?

beastson

27 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Its not close to the best five year run they have ever had.  In the 90's, they had a national championship with some guy named Brady at qb as well 4 first or second place finishes.  

Yeah, Michigan had great success in the 80's and 90's, that is what is basically biting Harbaugh now. Lots of people remember those years and want Lloyd Carr 2.0. Which, really, Harbaugh isn't terribly far off Lloyd Carr's pace, minus the bowl record and the NC in those first five years. Hypothetically, IF Michigan wins their bowl game it would look like this:

Harbaugh

0.738 Winning Percentage

2-4 in Bowl Games

4 Top 25 finishes, 1 Top 10 finish

0 National Championships

0 Big Ten Titles

Carr

0.790 Winning Percentage

3-2 in Bowl Games

5 Top 25 finishes, 2 Top 10 finishes

1 National Championship

2 Big Ten Titles(one was a three way share)

The shared titles also brings up another point, you don't just get to share titles in football in conference anymore(something that padded a lot of coaches resumes at the time) and you don't get to just win one bowl game to win a national title anymore. There are conference championship games and playoff games now. It's actually much harder to get those things than it used to be, plus the conferences are larger now.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Didn't Carr wind up getting fired?

No, he pretty much had a walk off victory. Got carried off the field by his players in his last game as head coach.

Pretty much an ending to his career in a way that will probably never be repeated in Power Five football history.

As you guys know, aside from whatever ownership, this franchise has character and history. In 25 years of history there have been more and more people who have come through these doors and who then are changed by KEEP POUNDING forever. Pep, Smitty, Moose, Dan Morgan and for a little while there Jim Harbuagh.

We're not the Steelers organization but this franchise is almost there. Get Harbuagh, get Chudzinski, get Dan Morgan. They know our culture here. Despite the whiners here, this team has had great relative success among NFL franchises. We're not the Dolphins or Bucs.

Keep the culture. Put it back into the hands of someone who knows the Panthers, knows this city, knows to KEEP POUNDING.

OFFICIAL CHUDZINSKI 2020 BANDWAGON

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

No, he pretty much had a walk off victory. Got carried off the field by his players in his last game as head coach.

Pretty much an ending to his career in a way that will probably never be repeated in Power Five football history.

I must be confusing him with someone else.

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Woody Hayes?

Although if you are, every Michigan and Ohio State fan would hate you.  lol

Oh Lord, no :)

My first wife's grandfather was a longtime official photographer for Ohio State. He had a huge picture of Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler on his living room wall. Tickled him to death that I knew who they were.

55 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Michigan isnt a Top 10 program though. Thats why everyone coming for his throat is a moron. They have 1 yes 1 national title in the last 70 years, are their rival’s bitch, and werent having any sort of sustained success before Harbaugh got there. But yeah they won a lot of games in the first half of the 1900s and play in a big stadium so i guess theyre elite

bama

osu

clemson

oklahoma

lsu

florida

auburn

usc

georgia

florida state

name one program out of that quick list i just drew up that michigan is better then without bringing up titles won in the 1940s

RG0BS1U.gif

1 hour ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Michigan isnt a Top 10 program though. Thats why everyone coming for his throat is a moron. They have 1 yes 1 national title in the last 70 years, are their rival’s bitch, and werent having any sort of sustained success before Harbaugh got there. But yeah they won a lot of games in the first half of the 1900s and play in a big stadium so i guess theyre elite

bama

osu

clemson

oklahoma

lsu

florida

auburn

usc

georgia

florida state

name one program out of that quick list i just drew up that michigan is better then without bringing up titles won in the 1940s

They certainly should be and that's on him.

4 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

They certainly should be and that's on him.

So their delusional fanbase thinks.

The big problem Michigan faces is that outside of Ohio (hmmm... wonder why OSU has been owning them) the upper midwest is mediocre to poor in terms of producing elite college football talent. Sure, all major college programs recruit nationally but you still have to fill out the meat of your roster with local talent from your home state and immediately surrounding states.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So their delusional fanbase thinks.

The big problem Michigan faces is that outside of Ohio (hmmm... wonder why OSU has been owning them) the upper midwest is mediocre to poor in terms of producing elite college football talent. Sure, all major college programs recruit nationally but you still have to fill out the meat of your roster with local talent from your home state and immediately surrounding states.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

Eeeeeh, I don't think that is a huge problem for them. Plus their surrounding states(Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania) do include three of the top 15 states on that list(and Michigan is top 15, as well). Plus, Ohio is basically recruiting from a lesser surrounding state pool(Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania). 

Let's take a look at Michigan recruiting under Harbaugh and about a five year period prior and we will compare it to Ohio St.(using 247 Composite Rankings). 

Michigan Recruiting class rankings

Harbaugh classes

2020(#12 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#3, #1)    Recruiting season still in process.

2019(#8 nationally, #1 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#14, #3)

2018(#22 nationally, #3 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#2, #1)

2017(#5 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#2, #1)

2016(#8 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#4, #1)

2015(#37 nationally, #5 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#1, #1)    Coaching change transition class at Michigan.

Prior to Harbaugh

2014(#20 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#3, #1)

2013(#4 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#2, #1)

2012(#6 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St(#2, #1)

2011(#30 nationally, #5 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#6, #1)   Coaching change transition class at Michigan.

2010(#17 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St(#18, #3)

So, Michigan is no stranger to top 10 recruiting classes. And they have had more of them since Harbaugh arrived. That's probably a pretty good indicator that the future for Michigan is pretty bright. But when you look at Ohio St. it pales in comparison. 9 out of 11 years in the top 6 recruiting classes nationally. That's going to be tough for anyone to overcome. But, if Michigan stays the course and can keep getting top 10 classes, as well, it will eventually start to turn that tide. 

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Eeeeeh, I don't think that is a huge problem for them. Plus their surrounding states(Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania) do include three of the top 15 states on that list(and Michigan is top 15, as well). Plus, Ohio is basically recruiting from a lesser surrounding state pool(Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania). 

Let's take a look at Michigan recruiting under Harbaugh and about a five year period prior and we will compare it to Ohio St.(using 247 Composite Rankings). 

Michigan Recruiting class rankings

Harbaugh classes

2020(#12 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#3, #1)    Recruiting season still in process.

2019(#8 nationally, #1 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#14, #3)

2018(#22 nationally, #3 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#2, #1)

2017(#5 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#2, #1)

2016(#8 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#4, #1)

2015(#37 nationally, #5 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#1, #1)    Coaching change transition class at Michigan.

Prior to Harbaugh

2014(#20 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#3, #1)

2013(#4 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#2, #1)

2012(#6 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St(#2, #1)

2011(#30 nationally, #5 Big Ten) - Ohio St.(#6, #1)   Coaching change transition class at Michigan.

2010(#17 nationally, #2 Big Ten) - Ohio St(#18, #3)

So, Michigan is no stranger to top 10 recruiting classes. And they have had more of them since Harbaugh arrived. That's probably a pretty good indicator that the future for Michigan is pretty bright. But when you look at Ohio St. it pales in comparison. 9 out of 11 years in the top 6 recruiting classes nationally. That's going to be tough for anyone to overcome. But, if Michigan stays the course and can keep getting top 10 classes, as well, it will eventually start to turn that tide. 

Exactly. They recruit like a top 10 program. They are 1-3 in bowl games under Harbaugh. They arent playing OSU in bowl games.

I've been a Michigan fan for a long time. I have hated the Harbaugh hiring. Michigan can and should draw a top recruiting class every year. The simple fact is, Harbaugh isn't getting it done. OSU absolutely owns Michigan every year and it's not even close. It's just a flat out as whoopin that doesn't even make it behind the shed.

I'm not delusional. I know OSU fields an excellent team year in and year out. But I watch Michigan football regularly and it's very common for that team to come out flat. Ive never seen a team that wins by 40 make it look hard, but the Wolverines  do it. They win most of the games they should win, some of the games that should be close in conference, and get dominated by big time opponents pretty regularly.

It's like what we've seen with Panther football already. Maybe he's got another NFL coaching run in him, I just hope to hell it's not here.

Archived