• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We need to be wise with Cam

DaveThePanther2008

You just don't go into the season prepared to lose every game. That is such a terrible mentality. If that's how Rhule is going to do things it could very easily blow up in his face. Hell, this franchise.may not have a winning season again in the next 7 years! You work with what you have. And what he has is a former NFL MVP who is only 31 years old. Is the FACE of the franchise and we have some pretty good skill players to complement him and new innovative offensive coaching. You'd be stupid to get rid of Cam Newton at this point.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The problem with this scenario is it's one-sided. It assumes that Newton would just accept playing out the last year of his contract with no guarantees.

He doesn't have to, and it's not a given that the Panthers would force him to.

He doesnt have to but if hes truly healthy and can run around , I gamble on a lower tier contract wich I think he accepts due to him wanting to be here and not playing for 2 years. We could extend him 2 more years avg. 25m a year and I'm not so sure he wouldn't take it.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

A top team?  Man some of you guys are just too emotional about this.

Tepper said, his words, it may take 5 years of mediocre results to get to where he wants us to be in a place of consistent winning.  He said that.  I think he is okay with taking our lumps for a couple of seasons.

What happens if the wins don't come after "a couple of seasons" What then? Fire Rhule and start over AGAIN? Sounds a lot like the Browns if you ask me

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

A top team?  Man some of you guys are just too emotional about this.

Tepper said, his words, it may take 5 years of mediocre results to get to where he wants us to be in a place of consistent winning.  He said that.  I think he is okay with taking our lumps for a couple of seasons.

He said it May, not it will, this coaching staff can hopefully get alot out of these players. I mean we have went to the playoffs with worse teams. Why not trade everyone away if its gonna be that long, would be damn hard to watch and I don't see it happening. I'm thinking logically not emotionally but I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

It's a possibility.

So why not try and win now? With what we have? Which is Cam Newton, CMC, DJ Moore, we have the draft picks to bring in help along the lines. We have some cap space to sign a few free agents why not compete now? What's the point in trying to wait? 

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If Trading Cam is an option than we need to get maximum value for him and don't give him away for nothing. If we can't get what we want than let him play out 2020.

If he performs well than we get the best contract we can with him. Worst case we Tag him.

I think he'll do great in Brady's offense.  

Giving him away make no sense.

It's a gamble but someone will take him in free agency and we'll get a compensatory pick for him but if he shines.  We have time to groom a replacement. 

So let me get this straight: If he performs worse than expected, your suggestion is to tag a 30 plus qb with a 3 year injury history? 

You do realize the tag means paying a player the average of top 5 at his position? 

So you propose to pay an aging qb with injury questions better than all but 3 or so of the players at the most expensive position in football?

In a league where salary cap management is a key component of success?

You might wanna rethink that part of your plan chief, cause I love me some Cam, but regardless of qb, that would not be an approach i’d say made much sense. If he plays well, great, but that’s the easier part of the equation. Everyone wants to have that problem. The real dilemma is if he can’t, and to be frank I think your suggestion of what to do there needs some rethinking.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The Browns?  Come on man their ownership are complete morons who hire and fire people on whims.

David Tepper has not done a thing yet in this league and if he ships Cam off without seeing what he can do for us this year it will not be a good look for him and the start of his ownership of the Carolina Panthers. Having all the money in the world wont win you a championship.

It's a possibility.

If we truly go into a full rebuild mode I think Rhule has alot of leeway. If he Is given Cam and a competent roster he will be expected to get the best out of them and have less leeway. I'm purely looking at the logically. Alot of teams have went to the playoffs with less then what we should have, coaching means so much more then people believe. 

Just now, Mr Mojo Risin said:

So why not try and win now? With what we have? Which is Cam Newton, CMC, DJ Moore, we have the draft picks to bring in help along the lines. We have some cap space to sign a few free agents why not compete now? What's the point in trying to wait? 

Like we did last year?

And this time with a rookie coach?

Tepper knows we need a rebuild. You could hear it when he repeatedly described Matt Rhule as a program builder.

But it's not guaranteed to work. We don't know if Rhule is a good NFL coach. We don't really even know if Tepper is a good NFL owner.

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

This is exactly how I feel, and logically makes sense. 

Like we did last year?

And this time with a rookie coach?

Tepper knows we need a rebuild. You could hear it when he repeatedly described Matt Rhule as a program builder.

But it's not guaranteed to work. We don't know if Rhule is a good NFL coach. We don't really even know if Tepper is a good NFL owner.

We wont know until we make sure we field a team he can win with, throw him into the fire, hes a grown ass man and will either succeed or not. We had a 5 game win streak last year with KA leading. 

Archived