• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All Panthers draft picks

raleigh-panther

12 hours ago, Waldo said:

When looking at a player that had one good year with us and one good year ? With another team that sounds pretty breakeven. Not good and not bad. Who was so bad the first 2 years it looked like a project gone bad? 

That isn't warping it to be agaist hurney because i consider it break even and that's not a negative agaisnt Hurney, just not a positive. 

To break it down in depth seems mind boggling to me. Look at Hardy. Went from OMG to blacklisted. KB had one good year then downward spiral, I wouldnt call that a positive for DG. I can understand not agreeing with me but i don't see the warping in my opinion agaisnt Hurney.

Ok.  Perhaps I try to quantify too much and am putting it into context with him being a 5th rounder.  My definition and eyeball assessment is totally different than this though.  

Not even a Dave Gettleman fan, but his 2013 draft smokes any of Hurneys and Marty has 8 more drafts under his belt with us.  Only 5 picks that year and Dave hit on 4 of the 5.  One guy was injury-plagued for word go (OG Kugbila), so we will never know if he would have panned out or not, but Star, KK, Klein and Barner all went on to have solid careers in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Not even a Dave Gettleman fan, but his 2013 draft smokes any of Hurneys and Marty has 8 more drafts under his belt with us.  Only 5 picks that year and Dave hit on 4 of the 5.  One guy was injury-plagued for word go (OG Kugbila), so we will never know if he would have panned out or not, but Star, KK, Klein and Barner all went on to have solid careers in the NFL.

Barner fuging sucks.

If Barner had a decent career then Mike Goodson is a near hall of famer.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Up until we cut CAP before this season, every one of the 2015 picks were still in the League.  Gman, was a better drafter than Marty, period. 

That’s a list of JAGs who won’t win you anything. You can’t honestly look at that list from 2015 and see much positive.

In 2011 we had 8 picks and Marty hit on just one.  Guess who?  If you miss on the #1 overall pick, you are a complete moron.  Not to say it has never happened, but it's VERY rare.

In 2010 we had 10 picks and he hit on 1.5.  LaFell and Hardy.  Hardy turned in  a couple of good years before going mental.  LaFell ended up having a decent career...with other teams.

Just now, philp said:

That’s a list of JAGs who won’t win you anything. You can’t honestly look at that list from 2015 and see much positive.

Sure, they actually stuck on a roster.  Look at Hurney's draft history and most guys end up getting cut from here and they are done in the NFL because they no other team wants them.  Even if other teams do take fliers, they are short lived.

2008 was probably Marty's best draft start to finish.  Had Otah stayed healthy,  it would have been one to hang his hat on.  Stewart was the only big name, but a lot of the lower rung guys managed to stick on some rosters for a few years.

2007 was the best for players that stuck here in Carolina and had a impact.

****His last two drafts are way too soon to judge one way or the other.

30 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

In 2011 we had 8 picks and Marty hit on just one.  Guess who?  If you miss on the #1 overall pick, you are a complete moron.  Not to say it has never happened, but it's VERY rare.

In 2010 we had 10 picks and he hit on 1.5.  LaFell and Hardy.  Hardy turned in  a couple of good years before going mental.  LaFell ended up having a decent career...with other teams.

“A couple of good years before going mental”.  Ha.  All-Pro and 3-0 vs the Panthers 3 divisional rivals in his last 3 regular season games, beating the Saints and Falcons by himself to win the division for the first time in 5 years,.  Then opening the next year by helping beat the Bucs in Tampa with a backup QB, a huge win in claiming a second straight divisional crown.

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Had to mention Hardy...

11 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Ok.  Perhaps I try to quantify too much and am putting it into context with him being a 5th rounder.  My definition and eyeball assessment is totally different than this though.  

I think a -10 to 0 to 10 scale would give a great representation but would be a massive undertaking.

Norman for example is a bit of a nutter and that did effect his contract talks. Would not being able to keep a guy not because of want but because the negotiations melted down effect the draft quality grade? That happened. How do you just give a positive to a guy with one good year when a guy like Luke had multiple probowl years for this team. No way those are equal value or representation of good/bad drafted prospect.

I think it would be cool to see that kind of depth in this discussion but it's also why it's dumbed down to manageable and in this case I think we just disagree.

Archived