• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All Panthers draft picks

raleigh-panther

4 minutes ago, brandon_87 said:

And? What's the point? 

We have a history drafting horribly.  That was the point.

Sadly, that's not the first time seeing that list.   More sad is the guy responsible for a great deal of those flops is still in charge and is leading the draft this year.   :eyeroll:

Not a bad list compared to the league performance. It goes to show you that outside of the first couple of rounds it really is a crapshoot much of the time. Sure hit guys fail or get injured and 6th and 7th rounders perform above expectations.  You hope each draft you get a couple of starters and some contributors on special teams and depth if needed.

15 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Sadly, that's not the first time seeing that list.   More sad is the guy responsible for a great deal of those flops is still in charge and is leading the draft this year.   :eyeroll:

This is just flat out wrong.  We have actually been average to above average.  Stop posting dumb shet

10 minutes ago, Shocker said:

This is just flat out wrong.  We have actually been average to above average.  Stop posting dumb shet

Oh yeah, I forgot...besides the first round.  Wow, Hurney can pick one of the top 30 college prospects in the nation and not flop.  Considering how average the team is, top 20 usually with a top 10 selection every few years.  Bang up job by Marty!

45 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Sadly, that's not the first time seeing that list.   More sad is the guy responsible for a great deal of those flops is still in charge and is leading the draft this year.   

Loves Cam, but hates the guy who chose him... perfect logic. 

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Oh yeah, I forgot...besides the first round.  Wow, Hurney can pick one of the top 30 college prospects in the nation and not flop.  Considering how average the team is, top 20 usually with a top 10 selection every few years.  Bang up job by Marty!

first off drafting in the first round is not anywhere near a gimme. the idea that picking in the first round is easy is entirely flawed and ignores context and statistic, its a narrative which has been spread around here in an attempt to discredit marty and push the "hurney bad" narrative. i also had no idea that josh norman, greg hardy, kawann short, ryan kalil, charles johnson, deshaun foster,  and trai turner were first round picks. hate marty for his cap management, we are above average in terms of drafting.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579957-who-is-the-best-drafting-team-in-the-nfl#slide2 (where we rank 12th in drafting as of 2013, around when hurney was canned)

"no team was a bigger surprise to us than the Panthers, who finished with 61 points, good for 12th overall.

They've drafted six Pro Bowl players and four All-Pro players. However, where they really made an impact is drafting starters. They have drafted 28 current starters in the league, including nine that were drafted between rounds five and seven.

It appears as if the Panthers have built a roster that should be ready to compete rather quickly."

https://www.derp/2012/4/25/2973820/are-nfl-draft-results-enough-to-evaluate-a-nfl-gm-probably-not-part-2

hate hurney for his absymal cap and asset management,  not for his above average scouting and drafting ability.

47 minutes ago, beo said:

first off drafting in the first round is not anywhere near a gimme. the idea that picking in the first round is easy is entirely flawed and ignores context and statistic, its a narrative which has been spread around here in an attempt to discredit marty and push the "hurney bad" narrative. i also had no idea that josh norman, greg hardy, kawann short, ryan kalil, charles johnson, deshaun foster,  and trai turner were first round picks. hate marty for his cap management, we are above average in terms of drafting.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579957-who-is-the-best-drafting-team-in-the-nfl#slide2 (where we rank 12th in drafting as of 2013, around when hurney was canned)

"no team was a bigger surprise to us than the Panthers, who finished with 61 points, good for 12th overall.

They've drafted six Pro Bowl players and four All-Pro players. However, where they really made an impact is drafting starters. They have drafted 28 current starters in the league, including nine that were drafted between rounds five and seven.

It appears as if the Panthers have built a roster that should be ready to compete rather quickly."

https://www.derp/2012/4/25/2973820/are-nfl-draft-results-enough-to-evaluate-a-nfl-gm-probably-not-part-2

hate hurney for his absymal cap and asset management,  not for his above average scouting and drafting ability.

No logic allowed here. The huddle experts say Hurney is not a good talent evaluator. How dare you use logic and facts to counter their blind nonsensical opinions 

Drafting is about more than selecting pro bowlers and all pros. It's about building a team that actually makes sense. Look no further than last years draft to see that Hurney has zero vision when it comes to building a team through the draft. He swung for the fences and failed again wasting another year picking players for a coach with 1 foot out the door.

The article about the Panthers being 12th in drafting didnt even consider the colossal blunders he made trading up. Sure he may hit on talent every now and again, but when it comes to putting together a successful draft with team building in mind, Hurney leaves a lot to be desired.

2 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Drafting is about more than selecting pro bowlers and all pros. It's about building a team that actually makes sense. Look no further than last years draft to see that Hurney has zero vision when it comes to building a team through the draft. He swung for the fences and failed again wasting another year picking players for a coach with 1 foot out the door.

The article about the Panthers being 12th in drafting didnt even consider the colossal blunders he made trading up. Sure he may hit on talent every now and again, but when it comes to putting together a successful draft with team building in mind, Hurney leaves a lot to be desired.

trading up isnt nessicarily  drafting though, i said myself that he was poor at managing assets. my point was that he is a fine talent evaluator and that the idea that he can't pick outside of the first round is false, and that even if it were true, it's still not as easy as people try to paint it as to pick in the 1st round. the OP and posters in the thread implied it was an issue with the selections, in reality the issue comes with his management of assets and the failure to build a cohesive roster. the second article i linked, in fact, was debunking the idea that GMs should be judged solely on drafting and picking talented players. im not arguing hurney's a good gm, he's below average, but i do think he gets more criticism than he deserves, and that he'd be fine to remain in a demoted role here with the team. i also agree with tepper in that he is a good "evaluator of talent".

Archived