• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2020 class stacked at OT

GoPanthers123

1 minute ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Does the new trade confirm we will not grab a tackle in a draft that is loaded with them?  We couldn’t miss a good tackle this year, there are so many of them.  What could Hurney be thinking here?

He’s a moron. Let’s be honest. 2018 and 2019 drafts were great for interior OL. We reached and spent our 2nd and 3rd on a mediocre tackle who was dropping like a rock pre-draft instead of what appears to be a perennial pro-bowl C that the Saints took. Now that 2020 looks like a great and deep T class we have no need for a good young tackle.

SMH, why draft to the strength of the draft class when you can spend extra picks to move up for reaches where the draft is thinner?

Just now, panthers55 said:

I suspect we will draft a tackle somewhere in the draft. I just don't think it will be in the first 3 rounds which will all be devoted to defense.

Might as well. We only need two starting guards and a replacement for a C who was awful and expensive last year. Our interior is going to get chewed up again.

Or you draft one. Let them start at RT, Moton RG,  Daley LG, Okung LT (while training Little to take his place or slide to RT if the rookie looks better). Someone already mentioned Moton sliding over to a guard position. It should save us money on a contract extension with him too. Guards are usually cheaper than tackles... Rookie and Little would be the future tackles with Daley and Moton being the guards.

Yup, I think round 3 will be the best OL left on the board.  I've mocked OT Bartch there a few times recently.  He's likely to be there since being a D-III prospect will make some teams leery to pull the trigger on him.  Anyway, he's a project and teams needing an immediate need at LT will stay away.  It just so happens we now no longer need a rookie to start this year and have a mentor in place for a project OT.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Might as well. We only need two starting guards and a replacement for a C who was awful and expensive last year. Our interior is going to get chewed up again.

I hope your analysis is overblown. I think Paradis will be better in this scheme after a year back in an NFL off-season strength program and the ability to develop chemistry with a consistent group. I think we have several candidates at the guard spot and Moton will be solid at right tackle. I figure we bring in a free agent or two at guard and try and get another Daley on the bottom half of the draft.  But then again I tend to be too optimistic this early in the spring.

On the other hand, no one can agree who is the best offensive tackle in this draft. Wirfs? Wills? Becton? Thomas? We could take one at 7 who gets outshined by pick 17. Meanwhile, there is no linebacker in the same stratosphere as Simmons or cornerback as much of a surefire thing as Okudah. If they're there at 7, you get way more value picking them over the next tier of players at their positions. Chase Young has similar appeal as the best pass rusher by a mile but the difference is he has no chance of being there at 7. At least we still have a shot at the other 2 potentially. 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

I hope your analysis is overblown. I think Paradis will be better in this scheme after a year back in an NFL off-season strength program and the ability to develop chemistry with a consistent group. I think we have several candidates at the guard spot and Moton will be solid at right tackle. I figure we bring in a free agent or two at guard and try and get another Daley on the bottom half of the draft.  But then again I tend to be too optimistic this early in the spring.

People think that a LT solves all issues. We couldn’t even punch it in from the 1 yard line last year. That’s why we had all those trick plays and went CMC wide at the goal line. Our interior got no push. Van Roten had some nice pulls, but he Paradis and Turner weren’t good at getting push or at pass blocking. We are now worse on the interior as hard as that is to imagine. Someone posted that it might be Okung, Daley, Paradis, Moton and a rookie/Little. I’m not fond of thinking we’ll have 4 out of 5 new OL with our awful C being the holdover.

I wouldn’t care if this was a rebuild but I have no idea what the plan is or if we are making it up as we go. It sure does feel disappointing that many teams are going to take advantage of one of the first deep tackle drafts in years and we won’t partake.

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Here's a fact, NONE of the OTs in this draft are tailor-made ready to start as Simmons, Okunda or Brown.  Skipping over any of those 3 for an OT in the first round would have very, very  stupid.

I agree, but there look to be solid ones in day 2 and Wirfs/Becton might be guys we pass over if Brown, Simmons and Okudah are gone. That would be a worst case scenario. We really need to hope that 3 QBs go before us so we have at least one of them at 7. Maybe LAC goes Wirfs or Becton too. 

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I agree, but there look to be solid ones in day 2 and Wirfs/Becton might be guys we pass over if Brown, Simmons and Okudah are gone. That would be a worst case scenario. We really need to hope that 3 QBs go before us so we have at least one of them at 7. Maybe LAC goes Wirfs or Becton too. 

I have runs countless simulations, at worst we get Simmons.  I have yet to see a simulation that has Brown, Okunda and Simmons all gone.  Usually 2 of the 3 are on the board and in the small number of instances only one is left, it's always Simmons.

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

People think that a LT solves all issues. We couldn’t even punch it in from the 1 yard line last year. That’s why we had all those trick plays and went CMC wide at the goal line. Our interior got no push. Van Roten had some nice pulls, but he Paradis and Turner weren’t good at getting push or at pass blocking. We are now worse on the interior as hard as that is to imagine. Someone posted that it might be Okung, Daley, Paradis, Moton and a rookie/Little. I’m not fond of thinking we’ll have 4 out of 5 new OL with our awful C being the holdover.

I wouldn’t care if this was a rebuild but I have no idea what the plan is or if we are making it up as we go. It sure does feel disappointing that many teams are going to take advantage of one of the first deep tackle drafts in years and we won’t partake.

Let’s face it, the line needed to be blown up as we were constantly at the bottom of the league for pass blocking. Moton was solid, Turner very overrated and seemed to have dropped off (maybe a change in scenery changes that), Paradis had a terrible year and can’t really be cut yet, we had a revolving door at LT and Van Roten was a JAG. If they can just go into camp healthy the chemistry should come. It’s definitely going to be a change with some growing pains, but the vet LT lets me know they want to fix the line first. Hopefully we draft Brown and help the defensive line as well...

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Burrow, Young and Tua are locks to go in the top 6. We'd have to be pretty damn unlucky for the other 3 picks to be Okudah, Simmons and Brown. If someone leap frogs Miami for Tua, then we will definitely have a defensive stud drop to us. Gettleman likes his hog mollies so perhaps he goes tackle. And most peg the Chargers to take either Herbert or a tackle. There's a reasonable chance we have our pick of 2 of the 3. 

If somehow our nightmare scenario unfolds, I'd scramble to trade down.

Archived