• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis SR & Ted Ginn Jr bring Arena Football to Charlotte

GRWatcher

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

Who knows what being an owner entails and what the financial obligations are. This seems like a barebones operation for sure.

You are correct, it is a bare bones operation.

I just assumed these guys were getting involved with the Arena Football League which has been beset with financial problems years. 

I wasn't aware of it until now but apparently the Arena Football League (AFL) filed bankruptcy on November 27, 2019 and the 6 remaining teams ceased all operations at that time.

It appears that this team owned by Davis and Ginn plays in something called the American Arena League which honestly I have never even heard of.  In fact, the team has been playing in Charlotte for the last 2 years and compiled a 12-5 record and posted back-to-back winning seasons during that time!

It's a low stakes operation, not much money at risk.  Shame on me.

I think I might try to go see a game.  They play at the old Chrome Dome and it's high-scoring 8-man football. 

In addition, the team appears to be pretty good.  Last season they were 6-0 in the regular season and lost the Championship game, posted a 7-1 overall record for 2019.  Pretty good.

I dont know why someone got poo on for saying it's a bad investment.  That's just reality.  They start playing in april, it still comes up as Carolina energy when you search for them and I can't find a schedule anywhere. That said, I'm gonna go to a game If I can find out when they are. 

20 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

Amazing how many successful/wealthy athletes (former & current) make the entirely voluntary choice to vaporize a large sum of their own personal cash.

SMH.

You’re getting poo’ed on but you're not wrong. Stuff like this has too much overhead and no real return. TD would’ve been better off putting that money aside with his financial advisor. 

12 minutes ago, joeyxfresco said:

You’re getting poo’ed on but you're not wrong. Stuff like this has too much overhead and no real return. TD would’ve been better off putting that money aside with his financial advisor. 

You root for a sports team whose owner just threw 60 million dollars at a first time NFL head coach.

Why are you worried about Davis or Ginn?

2 hours ago, TheRed said:

You root for a sports team whose owner just threw 60 million dollars at a first time NFL head coach.

Why are you worried about Davis or Ginn?

What? $60mm to $12b is pennies to the dollar. I’m hate seeing athletes piss away their money especially good dudes like TD and Ginn who are getting worked by some scumbag. 

3 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Did you guys even know you've had an AAL team, lol?

No.

It's interesting to note the headline says Ginn and Davis are "bring(ing) Arena Football to Charlotte".

In fact this team has been playing in Charlotte for 2 years already, who knew?!?  Certainly not the OP, nor myself.

Truth is looks like a fairly low stakes operation and there's not a lot of money to be made or lost.

The involvement of Ginn and Davis has already turned a spotlight onto the team that has never shone on it before.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:51 PM, RASTAN66 said:

Amazing how many successful/wealthy athletes (former & current) make the entirely voluntary choice to vaporize a large sum of their own personal cash.

SMH.

No, a small sum. Less than a tenth of the money their existing money makes in a year, I'd bet. Spent on something that they'll enjoy and which I'm sure they have few illusions about. 

Maybe you could offer your services as a financial advisor, though? Probably they don't have any already, so I bet there's an opening.

3 minutes ago, Gesualdo said:

No, a small sum. Less than a tenth of the money their existing money makes in a year, I'd bet. Spent on something that they'll enjoy and which I'm sure they have few illusions about. 

Maybe you could offer your services as a financial advisor, though? Probably they don't have any already, so I bet there's an opening.

I presume you didn't read my follow-up post?

On 3/5/2020 at 9:51 PM, RASTAN66 said:

SMH.

Just assuming that these guys are "vaporizing" large sums of their money is just misguided.

Being an owner, an entrepreneur is an invaluable experience that I wish every NFL player would do with part of their hard earned money.

Who knows what this experience will teach them? Many billionaires fail ("lose money") several times before becoming successful. 

3 hours ago, JoePanther said:

Just assuming that these guys are "vaporizing" large sums of their money is just misguided.

Being an owner, an entrepreneur is an invaluable experience that I wish every NFL player would do with part of their hard earned money.

Who knows what this experience will teach them? Many billionaires fail ("lose money") several times before becoming successful. 

I presume you didn't read my follow-up post either?

Archived