• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

14 minutes ago, Bytes said:

Using the swedish model how do you account for asymptomatic carries who may affect "vulnerable" citizens? 

Their model is close to what I was trying to discuss a couple weeks back.

Basically, you quarantine the vulnerable, protect them, and the rest of society operates cautiously.  Big paraphrase

Long article, but worth the read

48 minutes ago, stirs said:

I have tried "discussion" on this thread before, to little success, but lets try again.

I questioned our approach early on, so let's talk about this one.

In the end, will the Sweden model, rather than the lockdown model be better suited for the US?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-response-sweden-avoids-isolation-economic-ruin/

Yeah, let’s get the political name calling out  of here.

Back to discussion...

Considering everything we didn’t know, the lockdowns made sense.

A total economic and social lockdown is not sustainable though. We need a plan to mitigate the risk as much as we can for when people go back to work.

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Back to discussion...

A total economic and social lockdown is not sustainable though. We need a plan to mitigate the risk as much as we can for when people go back to work.

Sweden is not a politically explosive as the US, so they can be more pragmatic in their approach.  At least that is my thought

Here, we do not prepare, overspend when it is going on and when over, and use political fear as our guidance.

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Back to discussion...

One side note, I think a bunch of businesses will continue to use the model that they are forced to use today. We could be saying good bye to the brick and mortar store fronts, and hello to the work and learn at home models for business and school. I know that doesn't apply across the board but some businesses may adopt the model that forced them.

Edited by philit99

11 minutes ago, stirs said:

Supposedly, not the venue to make that argument, but whatever, I don't want to get banned again

I don’t understand this. How can you not talk politics in a thread about Coronavirus. Politicians themselves are talking about it. The personal attacks is what they need to look out for not civil differing opinions. 

1 hour ago, stirs said:

I have tried "discussion" on this thread before, to little success, but lets try again.

I questioned our approach early on, so let's talk about this one.

In the end, will the Sweden model, rather than the lockdown model be better suited for the US?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-response-sweden-avoids-isolation-economic-ruin/

No thank you on the Swedish model.

Data below:

Population of Sweden: 10.23M
Swedish COVID-19 cases: 9,141 
Deaths: 793
Percentage of infected: 0.09%
Death rate: 8.7%

Population of US: 327.2M
USA COVID-19 cases: 434,861 
Deaths: 14,814
Percentage of infected: 0.13%
Death rate: 3.4%

Population of Italy: 60.36M
Italian COVID-19 cases: 139,422
Deaths: 17,669
Percentage of infected: 0.2%
Death rate: 12.7%

Population of South Korea: 51.47M
SK COVID-19 cases: 10,423
Deaths: 204
Percentage of infected: 0.02%
Death rate: 2%

Population of Germany: 83.02M
German COVID-19 cases: 113,296
Deaths: 2,280
Percentage of infected: 0.14%
Death rate: 2%

Population of New Zealand: 4.794M
NZ COVID-19 cases: 1,239
Deaths: 1
Percentage of infected: 0.03%
Death rate: 0.08%

Best-to-Worst Infection Rates:
1. South Korea
2. New Zealand
3. Sweden
4. USA
5. Germany
6. Italy

Best-to-Worst Death Rates:
1. New Zealand
2. Germany/South Korea 
4. USA
5. Sweden
6. Italy

I'd much rather we had followed South Korea's model, but that required early and frequent testing which the administration went out of their way to prevent. New Zealand is worth looking into, despite being a remote island nation. Australia has similar percentages, and both nations are closer to the epicenter of the pandemic. 

5 minutes ago, philit99 said:

One side note, I think a bunch of businesses will continue to use the model that they are forced to use today. We could be saying good bye to the brick and mortar store fronts, and hello to the work and learn at home models for business and school. I know that doesn't apply across the board but some businesses may adopt the model that forced them.

Agree with this - there are going to be some positives that come from this, and I think the flexibility and open mindedness that companies need to have for their employees will be one of them. 

4 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I still think there are ways brick and mortar can adapt to lower the risk. Require masks. Limit the # of customers in the store, setting up shopping appointments, putting cashiers behind plastic, etc. It’s doable for many businesses. 

Just now, 4Corners said:

Agree with this - there are going to be some positives that come from this, and I think the flexibility and open mindedness that companies need to have for their employees will be one of them. 

It will not be because we asked for it, it will be for business continuity purposes! LOL

• Pie 1