• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy Bridgewater vs. Joe Burrow scouting report

Cary Kollins

11 minutes ago, sry said:

Actually his fourth team...Vikings, Jets, Saints, and Panthers.  But, truly he has only had about 2 1/2 seasons as a starter.  The injury totally disrupted his career.  The 2016 preseason indicated that he was about to make a third year jump, but that was cut off the day after the last preseason game.

Ouch. I forgot about that cup of coffee with the Jets.

14 hours ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

You are looking at the analysis of Bridgewater as a draftee. We now have a few years of actual NFL experience to look at with Bridgewater. His career passer rating (not QBR) is 88.35. By way of comparison, that rating would have placed Bridgewater about 23rd in the NFL last season behind Phillip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett. He also has one of the lowest yards per pass statistics in the NFL and fairly consistently so. In other words, much of the analysis has proved correct in that he has very good accuracy but a relatively weak arm in terms of depth and velocity. 

I believe he does have a good football IQ and accuracy. What he has proven to not have is great arm talent and maneuverability or elusiveness in or out of the pocket, as well as  bit of scary injury history. In short, I think it is fair to say that based on past NFL performance, Bridgewater has a fairly low ceiling and stable floor. He provides consistency and not much dynamism. Furthermore, one of the more consistent complements that has been given to Bridgewater is the he is careful with the ball. That is really not borne out by his overall statistics. In his career, Bridgewater was thrown 38 TDs against 25 interceptions and most TDs that he has thrown in a season is 14. This is not exactly great.

I know I have been a real buzzkill when it comes to this signing. However, I think when you analyze his past performance with teams that had good to very good defenses and extrapolate that performance to a Panthers team with a dearth of defensive talent you get a bit of a nightmare where your best case scenario becomes the worst case scenario of mediocrity.

Do I think Bridgewater can win more games than Allen? Yes, marginally so. But I think that is actually a bad thing in that it costs you draft capital and cap resources next year.

Why compare a career for Teddy vs a single year for everyone else? Teddy last year had a 99 rating in the offense we brought him in to play.

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Why compare a career for Teddy vs a single year for everyone else? Teddy last year had a 99 rating in the offense we brought him in to play.

If I just used the years he was a full-time starter his stats are even more pedestrian so I included the totality of his career giving him the benefit of the doubt.

3 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Yeah but also with much better overall personnel than he will play with in Carolina. 

11 hours ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

His career stats and talents scream back-up QB. I think your name gives away your bias. I have no such bias. At the end of the day, I would love for your optimism to be rewarded.

I have my doubts based on the totality of his past results.

i'm not trying to be objective, I'm an advocate for Teddy Bridgewater.  I've watched virtually every game of his NFL career live, and i'm tellinya u can't judge him by his surface stats.  his performances even in those formative years were built around pressure performance.  increased QBR on 3rd downs, 4th quarter, clutch play that translates into wins.  Even shaking the rust off over the course of a month in New Orleans he still wins like he did his whole career.  This kid as a Pro Bowl sophomore stared down the Seahawks Super Bowl defense and lead a game winning drive in -25' degree weather, that was only nullified because the Vikings kicker missed a 27 yd FG.  Stats don't tell that story, other than the stat that he is the #1 QB in the history of the NFL as an underdog.  His entire career is built on being underestimated. 

I appreciate your intent to examine him, but stats (yds/TD) do not tell the story on Teddy.  And I know that once he starts playing and winning this year, you will be on board!

11 hours ago, Teddy Time said:

i'm not trying to be objective, I'm an advocate for Teddy Bridgewater.  I've watched virtually every game of his NFL career live, and i'm tellinya u can't judge him by his surface stats.  his performances even in those formative years were built around pressure performance.  increased QBR on 3rd downs, 4th quarter, clutch play that translates into wins.  Even shaking the rust off over the course of a month in New Orleans he still wins like he did his whole career.  This kid as a Pro Bowl sophomore stared down the Seahawks Super Bowl defense and lead a game winning drive in -25' degree weather, that was only nullified because the Vikings kicker missed a 27 yd FG.  Stats don't tell that story, other than the stat that he is the #1 QB in the history of the NFL as an underdog.  His entire career is built on being underestimated. 

I appreciate your intent to examine him, but stats (yds/TD) do not tell the story on Teddy.  And I know that once he starts playing and winning this year, you will be on board!

At Louisville his nickname was GUMP. Great Under Major Pressure.

Archived