• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy Bridgewater vs. Joe Burrow scouting report

Cary Kollins

Thought I’d take a look at the nfl.com scouting reports coming out of college for our own Teddy B compared to future number one pick Joe Burrow, seeing as how they will share the offensive guru that is Joe Brady. Folks, I’m here to say, unsurprisingly the scouting reports are almost dead even. 

Let’s start with Teddy:

STRENGTHS

Extremely competitive and driven to succeed. Well-prepared and confident in his approach. Operated a pro-style, progression-read offense where he is asked to scan the whole field and set protections. Footwork is very clean and in rhythm -- throws on balance with sound mechanics, a fluid delivery and smooth stroke. Very good timing, touch and anticipation -- throws receivers open. Is patient working through his reads and will step up in the pocket. Sells play-action hard and takes what the defense gives him. Poised in the face of the blitz and often anticipates it coming. Is very mentally and physically tough -- played through a broken left wrist with a sprained ankle in what was essentially the 2012 Big East championship game, coming off the bench to captain the Cardinals to a come-from-behind victory. Is a student of the game with a very good understanding of football concepts. Plays like a coach on the field, knows the responsibilities of everyone on the field and can get teammates lined up correctly. Makes few mental errors. Consistently moves the chains and converts in critical situations. Is given a lot of autonomy to make pre-snap reads and adjustments at the line of scrimmage and understands how to exploit defenses. Meticulous in his preparation. Has a passion for the game and really works at it. Smart, determined and focused. Is only 21 years old -- incredibly mature for his age and can see the big picture. Really works at his craft and showed gradual improvement every season. Football is extremely important to him. Highly respected, unselfish team leader. 

WEAKNESSES

Has a very lean, narrow frame with limited bulk and small hands. Does not drive the ball with velocity down the field and can be affected by cold and windy conditions (see Cincinnati). Can improve placement and touch on the deep ball. Adequate athlete. Is not an overly elusive scrambler -- struggles escaping the rush and buying a second chance with his feet vs. pressure. Passing stats are padded from operating a passing game that relies heavily on short, lateral tosses. Long-term durability could become a concern without continued strength and weight gains.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1

BOTTOM LINE

A calculated, football-smart, precision-matchup rhythm passer, Bridgewater would be best suited entering a warm-weather or dome environment such as those most common in the South divisions. Would stand to benefit heavily from operating a short, dink-and-dunk rhythm passing game. Compensates for a lack of elite arm talent and prototype measureables with the intangibles and football intelligence that could elevate the other 52 players around him. Instinctive passer with the laser-beam determination to become a Pro Bowl-caliber passer in the right system.

And now let’s take a look at Joey Burrow:

Overview
People's champ with rags-to-riches story arc culminating in one of the greatest one-year turnarounds in sports history. He's self-assured and plays with competitive toughness that teammates will gravitate toward instantly. He's a rhythm passer who benefited from tempo and scheme, but his vision, touch and read recognition made the offense special. He buys time for himself inside the pocket, but creates explosive, off-schedule plays outside of it with his arm or legs. He throws with staggering precision and timing, but he recognizes his own arm-strength constraints and is forced to shrink the field accordingly. His 2018 tape and unremarkable physical traits could clutter his evaluation for some, but he appears to be an outlier who simply developed and blossomed beyond those evaluation concerns. He's a smart quarterback with special intangibles and could become a Pro Bowler if a team tailors its offense to his specific strengths and comfort level.
Strengths
  • Off-the-charts football IQ and intangibles
  • Plays with brazen field presence and poise
  • Rapid ascension to chess master who can beat up coverages thrown at him
  • Initial field glances are often lies being told to safeties
  • Gets through full-field progressions with unique internal clock timed to the routes
  • Decisive from read to release with elite precision and placement
  • Stuck it into impossible windows on several occasions
  • Very good timing and anticipation
  • Throws pass-catchers away from coverage and into space
  • Throws with superb touch and trusts receivers to make the play
  • Deep dime-dropper, completing 55 percent with 24 TDs and 2 INTs in 2019
  • Separates from rush with deft climbs, slides and escapes
  • Above-average toughness in pocket and as runner
  • Unexpected wiggle to elude when scrambling
  • Makes explosive, off-schedule plays while on the move
  • Can deliver back-breaking runs to move the chains
Weaknesses
  • Polar opposite seasons in 2018 and 2019
  • A level of scheme fit is necessary
  • Below-average arm strength and average release quickness
  • Tends to work into more condensed areas of the field
  • Steep drop in accuracy on intermediate throws outside the numbers
  • Requires top-notch timing for out-breaking throws as a pro
  • Saw nose of ball dive on some throws field-side
  • Spotty high/low combo throws against long boundary CBs when they play it low to high
  • Early issues handling Clemson's disguised blitz packages
  • Scheme created clearer reads and easier one-on-one throws
  • Took sacks he didn't need to 

Bottom line, it seems like we at least have a plan to try and emulate what Brady and Co. did down at LSU last year, and if we even get close to that we should be in for a fun ride.

excuse the formatting, on mobile 

25 minutes ago, bigdavis said:

Proud to be the first to commend you on this fine post.

Very educated comparisons.

I am so starved for intellectual posts that contain optimism.  The OP is on to something worth considering. 

If we wanted a QB in the draft, we might have to move up and take the third best.  Signing Bridgewater is smart.  Now we can draft a qb next year or the year after.

People do not realize that we have addressed the needs on offense.  Pretty much all of them.  The OL is the big question mark, but we are better at LT (Okung and a second-year Little), LG (Do not underestimate Reed--he is not a star, but he is serviceable; Daley is also in play), C (a healthy Paradis and Larsen in a better system), RG (We drop a little, but not much.  Kerr can hold his own), and RT is Moton.  I think we are solid at TE. 

So we improved at 3 OL positions, stayed the same at 1, and dropped a bit at 1. 

At WR, do not be surprised to see how much the Jets misused Robby Anderson.  Getting the ball on time to Moore--with what he can do after the catch---scary.  Samuel will be used better.  We have 3-4 others that should be on our roster.  We are much better, and we could draft one.

At RB---CMC, yes.  Davis.  We kept him on the roster last year for a reason.  I think he becomes our #2.  Scarlett and Bonnefon are going for #3.  Good depth.

Not sure Armah stays.

And at QB, we should be interesting to say the least---however, I doubt we go QB this year.

So in the draft, we might draft an OL (C) late.  We might not. 

On defense, we have done NOTHING at CB, NOTHING much at LB, and we have 2 DT openings.

We are CERTAINLY drafting a CB, MLB, DT, NT, and S in this draft.

Maybe a WR and an OL. 

We have 8 picks, maybe more if we trade.

I am done.

That is what I have been saying the entire time about Burrow. He isn't an elite QB prospect, he's a potentially elite game manager. 

Scheme is going to matter a lot in terms of his career success. Don't be surprised to see him be a huge bust in Cincy because they don't set him up to be successful.

To be honest, I'd rather have Bridgewater over Burrow just because of his NFL experience. Burrow is going to take time to learn the game. The only advantage Burrow has over Bridgewater is youth and lack of a major traumatic knee injury. Which seems to be healed at this point.

You know who also had a super lean frame and limited mobility? Tom Brady. I'm not concerned, I think Bridgewater will play well with Joe Brady running the offense.

Highlights a lot of the things I liked about Bridgewater when he was up for drafting.

My concern at the time was whether his "thin frame" could handle an NFL pounding. That's proven to be a valid concern but one that I hope is a thing of the past.

8 minutes ago, PantherFanInPhilly said:

I sure hope we're not disappointed in the offensive genius Joe Brady. I don't think think we will be and I think he has a bright future, just saying.

Edit: Hell, same goes for Rhule, of course. 

Same here, but it actually is a possibility.

Remember, everybody thought Chip Kelly and Steve Spurrier were gonna set the league on fire too.

Archived