• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salary Cap/Contract Gurus

MtnProwler

Attention Nerds: With only enough cap left to basically take care of our draft picks, what other moves must we see to address other roster needs? How likely are these next moves or am I off-base on them?

1. Classify Kuechly as post Jun 1 to free up $9m-$10m? I'm seeing this is how this is going to be handled.

2. Cut Mike Davis to save $3m. Why haven't we done this already? If we think he is good enough to be on the roster then get him a friendlier cap savings contract.

3. Restructure Short. I'm not sure we do this since this would make it harder to absorb his hit next year or the year after, but this could free up an additional $3m-$5m.

4. Trade Samuel ( I hope not, I like how our WR corps have panned out) or cut Roberts (unlikely since we just signed him and would automatically be an admission to a $600k mistake). Depending on how this plays out, i.e. for draft picks or cut, we are looking at freeing up $1m-$3m. 

This equates to freeing up the cap $16m-$21m, $15m-$18m if we leave our WRs alone. I have my thoughts on how to proceed after this but I'll save for another discussion. Thoughts?

Kuechly is still on the roster.  If they cut him post June first ( which I think they will) he cap hit will go from 15 million to 4 million this year and 7 million in 2021.  Eric Reid, from what I have seen in a few places, is also a post June 1st cut.  That will add about 2.5 million in cap space.  So together that is about 13.5 million.  So really they could spend all the way down to 0 left in cap room and after June 1st still have more than enough room to sign the rookies.

Do nothing until after the draft.

I don't want to restructure KK again, the last one is what is killing us. I want him gone next year if he can't produce this year. Hopefully it happens but if not whatever. Right now he is looking like a cap casualty hopeful and he is the only DT, that is how bad his last restructure was. 

I'm not sure about not keeping Luke on the roster, I can't remember what allows him to come back and play in the future and how we keep his rights. I sure as hell would be pissed if he came back in a year to play elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Do nothing until after the draft.

I don't want to restructure KK again, the last one is what is killing us. I want him gone next year if he can't produce this year. Hopefully it happens but if not whatever. Right now he is looking like a cap casualty hopeful and he is the only DT, that is how bad his last restructure was. 

I'm not sure about not keeping Luke on the roster, I can't remember what allows him to come back and play in the future and how we keep his rights. I sure as hell would be pissed if he came back in a year to play elsewhere. 

I brought up Luke's contract to do more with when we file the termination of the contract, nothing to do with him playing. Which impacts the covenants of the salary cap. That is what I was asking about, anyway.

I agree with you on KK's restructure, not worth the future losses.

1 hour ago, MtnProwler said:

I brought up Luke's contract to do more with when we file the termination of the contract, nothing to do with him playing. Which impacts the covenants of the salary cap. That is what I was asking about, anyway.

I agree with you on KK's restructure, not worth the future losses.

I just don't want to dump Luke in a way that allows us to lose our rights just in case.

33 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

They wont cut Luke, in case he returns

Interesting take, to carry the $9m for a ‘retired’ player. That $9m is very valuable, might be borderline selfish to hold the team hostage like that (but Luke deserves everything he is due.) Has a team ever carried that type of money for a retired player in-case he comes back? Asking for a friend.

20 minutes ago, MtnProwler said:

Interesting take, to carry the $9m for a ‘retired’ player. That $9m is very valuable, might be borderline selfish to hold the team hostage like that (but Luke deserves everything he is due.) Has a team ever carried that type of money for a retired player in-case he comes back? Asking for a friend.

Megatron

3 hours ago, Basbear said:

@Toomers and @stbugs are good about this stuff. 

No clue on a retired player. The cap will hit us regardless. Did Luke file paperwork? If he did I assumed we’d only have one option, post June 1st or all in 2020. No idea if the post June 1st applies. Pretty rare for a player to retire under contract with a lot left. 

Also, just freaking cut Short. We are kidding ourselves thinking he’s going to even get back to 2017 form and he costs an extra $13M. Dead cap is not different whether he stays or gets cut. There’s $17M in dead cap that hits this year and next whether he’s on the team or not. Keeping him means his cap charge is $30M this year and next. People continue to think the dead cap isn’t there when a player is on the roster. That’s wrong. His cap hit if he’s on the team is $19M this year, $6M in dead cap and $13K in new salary. 

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Also, just freaking cut Short. We are kidding ourselves thinking he’s going to even get back to 2017 form and he costs an extra $13M. Dead cap is not different whether he stays or gets cut. There’s $17M in dead cap that hits this year and next whether he’s on the team or not. Keeping him means his cap charge is $30M this year and next. People continue to think the dead cap isn’t there when a player is on the roster. That’s wrong. His cap hit if he’s on the team is $19M this year, $6M in dead cap and $13K in new salary. 

Interesting, I’ll have to look at this more.

Archived