• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What a long strange trip it’s been.....

sml1950

And it really hasn’t even started yet.  According to Albert Breer, Rhule seems to be ahead of the technical curve in getting ready for the draft, despite his personal naivety.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/09/matt-rhule-carolina-panthers-coronavirus-rookie-head-coach

He always uses obstacles as opportunities, I guess that is why he has been so successful.

1 hour ago, sml1950 said:

According to Albert Breer, Rhule seems to be ahead of the technical curve in getting ready for the draft...

I suspect Breer is correct.

Like everything Panthers related, it all starts with Tepper.

Appaloosa Management always has the very best technology available to anyone, anywhere --- his information and trading operations depend on it.

I feel certain upgrading the Panthers IT ops was something that was on Tepper's short list from the get go and while end-to-end I doubt the Panthers technology is on fully par with what is installed at Appaloosa --- I bet it is very very good.

Attached pic was taken in Tepper's office in Panthers stadium a few months after he took over the team, reveals a hint of technology foreshadowing... 

Tepper Bloomberg.jpg

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I think he has a leg up on the rest of the NFL this year simply because of all the college experience on the roster. There's probably no NFL staff that comes close to our collective knowledge of SEC and Big 12 prospects in particular. 

I'm not buying this.  He would have a lot of knowledge of his own players and the players from teams he has played, maybe. Other than that, he knows as much as anyone else.  These scouts do nothing but evaluate college talent from an NFL perspective. 

2 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I'm not buying this.  He would have a lot of knowledge of his own players and the players from teams he has played, maybe. Other than that, he knows as much as anyone else.  These scouts do nothing but evaluate college talent from an NFL perspective. 

Who do you think that our coaching staff was primarily playing last season? It was SEC (LSU) and Big 12 (Baylor) teams.

19 minutes ago, RASTAN66 said:

Appaloosa Management always has the very best technology available to anyone, anywhere --- his information and trading operations depend on it.

I feel certain upgrading the Panthers IT ops was something that was on Tepper's short list from the get go and while end-to-end I doubt the Panthers technology is on fully par with what is installed at Appaloosa --- I bet it is very very good.

Attached pic was taken in Tepper's office in Panthers stadium a few months after he took over the team, reveals a hint of technology foreshadowing... 

Tepper Bloomberg.jpg

Looks like he's checking out Facebook there.

before most in the U.S. were taking the pandemic seriously in the, what owner David Tepper asked he and GM Marty Hurney, and it was pretty straight-forward: Do we have a plan for this if it gets to that point?

That point, of course, was where we are now. And Rhule was able to answer, yes, the Panthers did, mostly because VP of football operations Sean Padden—Rhule’s ops guy at both Temple and Baylor, who came aboard with him and happened to have prior background as a software salesman—and director of IT James Hammond (“a rock star”, per Rhule) were on top of it.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who do you think that our coaching staff was primarily playing last season? It was SEC (LSU) and Big 12 (Baylor) teams.

Yea, my point is he would be checking out his next opponent, but scouts check out everyone.  NFL staffs should be just as prepared as we are

10 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Looks like he's checking out Facebook there.

It was during the "logo challenge" when the Panthers were moving toward replacing the NFL shield at midfield with a Panthers logo.  Tepper was scrolling through twitter to see what people were saying.

The 8th largest personal fortune in the United States (over 4x what Tepper has) was built on something in that picture...

11 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Yea, my point is he would be checking out his next opponent, but scouts check out everyone.  NFL staffs should be just as prepared as we are

My point is that our coaching staff was scouting future SEC and Big 12 NFL prospects on a weekly basis all last season. NFL coaching staffs were scouting current NFL teams. NFL scouts are obviously going to be very familiar with draft prospects, but other NFL coaching staffs have to play catch up in a major way in that department after the season is over. Our staff has a lot less of that to do.

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My point is that our coaching staff was scouting future SEC and Big 12 NFL prospects on a weekly basis all last season. NFL coaching staffs were scouting current NFL teams. NFL scouts are obviously going to be very familiar with draft prospects, but other NFL coaching staffs have to play catch up in a major way in that department after the season is over. Our staff has a lot less of that to do.

We disagree on Brown and the Giants but you are spot on here. If Hurney and team were more aware of college prospects we wouldn’t have had the drafts we’ve had the past two years. We are in a unique situation compared to other teams although I think it’s more of a matter of which teams aren’t going to be prepared. Sounds like we got prepped so that we wouldn’t have any issues. I’d be shocked if most staffs were this prepared. Throw in the fact that our key staff  (HC, DC and OC) will likely be knowledgeable of guys past day 2 without having to go round robin on scouts with 5 minutes on the clock. I’d also hope with all the resources and IT staff that we’ll have a nice virtual draft board.

As long as Marty isn’t making the picks of his own accord, I’m happy. I’m sure he’ll get lauded for a stud falling to us at 7, but he’s been really bad after round 1 for a long time.

2 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

Tepper Bloomberg.jpg

Tepper's Onlyfans page.

Archived