• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best WR's at creating separation.

kungfoodude

16 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

And Bill Belichick left Thomas in single coverage every snap, meanwhile when he faced Julio, AB or Tyreek he doubles them.

So who do you trust more? The smartest coach ever or Gilmore 

Or a collection of NFL DBs who consistently rank Thomas as the toughest to cover. Belichick is an amazing coach. Maybe the greatest ever. But he's never tried to cover a WR man to man ever in his life.

Size maters, a lot. 

I like their effort, but it is a shame that they focus on separation and not throwing window. Fitzgerald coming back to the ball will box out any defender creating a large window with no separation. A guy like Landry needs the separation so that a physical defender cannot play through him if the ball is a little off. 

Same with a deep throw, a Samuel with separation needs a prefect ball over the defender into his small catch raduis. Compare to a guy like Julio, as long as the ball clears the defender his size makes a large catch window even without separation. 

The scare part with Thomas is he gets both decent separation and has the size. 

Anderson has the size, so I would not worry (yet) about him. 

1 hour ago, Thorrez said:

Size maters, a lot. 

I like their effort, but it is a shame that they focus on separation and not throwing window. Fitzgerald coming back to the ball will box out any defender creating a large window with no separation. A guy like Landry needs the separation so that a physical defender cannot play through him if the ball is a little off. 

Same with a deep throw, a Samuel with separation needs a prefect ball over the defender into his small catch raduis. Compare to a guy like Julio, as long as the ball clears the defender his size makes a large catch window even without separation. 

The scare part with Thomas is he gets both decent separation and has the size. 

Anderson has the size, so I would not worry (yet) about him. 

Separation is one of the most commonly quoted traits that scouts and coaches talk about when they talk about desired NFL traits. For good reason, as having those uncontested catches is obviously going to have a far higher successful catch rate and likely result in more YAC. So, while being able to have this larger catch radius isn't invalid, IMO separation is more likely to make an NFL WR more successful than catch radius.

18 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Separation is one of the most commonly quoted traits that scouts and coaches talk about when they talk about desired NFL traits. For good reason, as having those uncontested catches is obviously going to have a far higher successful catch rate and likely result in more YAC. So, while being able to have this larger catch radius isn't invalid, IMO separation is more likely to make an NFL WR more successful than catch radius.

I'm not talking about catch radius only. The catch window is a function of both separation and catch radius, so looking at only one of them is not giving the full picture. 

For similar sizes guys I agree it is a valid measurement. 

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Or a collection of NFL DBs who consistently rank Thomas as the toughest to cover. Belichick is an amazing coach. Maybe the greatest ever. But he's never tried to cover a WR man to man ever in his life.

He’s the one designing the game plan, he knows more than any DB in the league.

The fact that he leaves him alone is all you need to know what he thinks of that WR. 

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Allen actually throws a nice short to medium range ball, but his deep ball sucks. Expect the same from Teddy.

Teddy has a nice deep ball, he just doesn't tend to throw them.  Its like Alex Smith.  Its not a talent issue.

32 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

He’s the one designing the game plan, he knows more than any DB in the league.

The fact that he leaves him alone is all you need to know what he thinks of that WR. 

Leaves him alone with who?  Stephon Gilmore? 

22 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Thomas isn’t as good as this article is making him out to be, go watch every snap of any game Thomas has played and you can see D Coordinators don’t really fear him, they are willing to cover him with safeties and linebackers much more than other WR like Julio, AB, Tyreek ext...

Thomas is a bigger Jarvis Landry playing in a system that suits him perfectly 

"playing in a system that suits him perfectly " This is the most important thing I've read in a long time. If you get players that fit your system, they instantly become a lot better. I've heard our coaches allude to this numerous times during our off-season cornucopia of roster moves, and I sincerely hope that its not all coach-speak. Belechick has made a hell of a career out of recognizing that it's more about the player that fits best than the best player. That, and cheating, of course.

2 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Leaves him alone with who?  Stephon Gilmore? 

Yeah, you don't give a CB a 5 year $65M contract to give him help. Gilmore is probably the best CB in the NFL right now. Revis always covered Smitty one on one without help too. Elite CBs generally go one on one with elite WRs - that's what you're paying those guys to do.

Dude tried to poo on arguably the best WR in the game and now he's clutching at straws.

Archived