• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Weatherly

Khyber53

15 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

The effort put in to downplaying everything Panthers here is amusing. Don't come to the Huddle with anything good to say about a player.

You seem to have an issue with realistic expectations. Vegas has us has the second worst over/under team in the league for a reason. Tepper and Rhule have tried to set the expectations for a five year plan, but some fans want to have visions of playoff runs dancing in their heads for this season. It's borderline delusional.

13 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

The effort put in to downplaying everything Panthers here is amusing. Don't come to the Huddle with anything good to say about a player.

Amen!  This guy is a professional football player who got significant reps on one of the better defenses in the NFL, tallying real stats in the process.  Yet he’s “not a good football player” or is “JAG.”  He’s young and has shown promise.  I hope he gets 8-10 sacks this year forces most of this board to actually route for him.  

https://theriotreport.com/film-room-meet-stephen-weatherly-panthers-starting-defensive-end/

It's reassuring that people who put in effort to analyze his game before making judgements aren't so down on him for the sake of being down on him.

After being question about the physical tools part Igo went on to change the topic to foot speed and reaction time.

And crucially does show a nice understanding of leverage, and the ability to process this on the fly, 

This allows him to keep his frame clean as the play develops – combined with his quickness and power, this puts him in consistently good positions to win reps.

When working more conventionally around the edge against the tackle, he does show the speed to threaten the outside shoulder of the tackle:

Here, he showed an ability to be disruptive with his quickness:

And showed deceptive power to generate push against a guard:

This is aided by his good arm extension – with his 34.5″ arms, 

However, given his age and his physical traits, he does still have room for significant improvement, and if the Panthers are able to work with him to develop in a couple of key areas then he has the chance to become a genuinely useful part of not just their edge rusher room, but their defense as a whole. 

You get the point. The premise of the analysis is that he does have all the tools. He shows some inconsistency in utilizing the best technique but multiple times it mentions he has the tools and ability to use them.

That article reads like something that poster whose username I forget that used to put a lot of work into threads full of analysis would come up with. I remember when he convinced himself through a series of mental gymanstics that Devin Funchess was the greatest thing since sliced bread and he was going to set the NFL ablaze once he was able to get out of KB's shadow. He did the same with Daryl Worley too. 

There's way too many similarities in styles for this not to have been created by him.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That article reads like something that poster whose username I forget that used to put a lot of work into threads full of analysis would come up with. I remember when he convinced himself through a series of mental gymanstics that Devin Funchess was the greatest thing since sliced bread and he was going to set the NFL ablaze once he was able to get out of KB's shadow. He did the same with Daryl Worley too. 

There's way too many similarities in styles for this not to have been created by him.

I seriously doubt that Saca and Vincent are the same person.  

20 hours ago, Smithers said:

Amen!  This guy is a professional football player who got significant reps on one of the better defenses in the NFL, tallying real stats in the process.  Yet he’s “not a good football player” or is “JAG.”  He’s young and has shown promise.  I hope he gets 8-10 sacks this year forces most of this board to actually route for him.  

Very quietly one of our best offseason signings.

Archived