• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The plan?

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

What in the name of everything holy has Teddy been able to do moreso than Allen could have to justify both the contract and the cap space?

Stay healthy.

Mind you, Bridgewater isn't exactly a physical specimen, but I get the impression Allen is a tad fragile.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Stay healthy.

Mind you, Bridgewater isn't exactly a physical specimen, but I get the impression Allen is a tad fragile.

Would have been fine by me for Allen to go down.  Then we can put our Hurney Special (Grier) out there...maybe it would provide a little more "ammo against Marty" or however they worded it about the Little move up and selection.

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Would have been fine by me for Allen to go down.  Then we can put our Hurney Special (Grier) out there...maybe it would provide a little more "ammo against Marty" or however they worded it about the Little move up and selection.

Possible. No way to know.

My thing right now is that everybody assumes the Panthers are going to follow the same trajectory as Matt Rhule's college teams.

One, I'm not absolutely convinced of that. I certainly hope so, but it's not a given.

Two, while Rhule's teams overachieved with what they had, they didn't win championships. Is that going to change at the NFL level?

Overachieving might make you the darling of the small college world, but at the pro level it's not good enough.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Possible. No way to know.

My thing right now is that everybody assumes the Panthers are going to follow the same trajectory as Matt Rhule's college teams.

One, I'm not absolutely convinced of that. I certainly hope so, but it's not a given.

Two, while Rhule's teams overachieved with what they had, they didn't win championships. Is that going to change at the NFL level?

Overachieving might make you the darling of the small college world, but at the pro level it's not good enough.

I don't think for 1 skinny second that the Panthers will see the immediate success that Temple and Baylor saw, we simply don't have a smart enough front office for that type of turnaround.

7 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I don't think for 1 skinny second that the Panthers will see the immediate success that Temple and Baylor saw, we simply don't have a smart enough front office for that type of turnaround.

I still think Pat Stewart is going to take over the GM job at some point. Just don't know if it's coming this year or the following year.

(I'd guess most of us would agree the sooner the better as we're all tired of Marty)

I've also said before that I think giving that job to an old friend of Rhule is basically handing Rhule the keys.

Will he succeed with full control of "the program"?

I damn sure hope so, but it's far from a given.

No guarantees as to where we'll draft in 2022..   We have to look at this seasons draft for help. I am guessing the answer isn't on the bench currently. 

A free agent could be the answer for now.  But Teddy isn't it.  None of us are sure who will be available with the free agent market this coming season.  

We have so many needs on the defensive side of the ball ( secondary ) ..  Left tackle always.

QB is the foundation for every football team. As much as we need elsewhere ,  we need to address the QB position  this off season. 

I never thought Teddy would be "the guy". The contract length and salary led me to the belief that he would start year 1. If he excelled then you have a top QB on a very affordable deal for the next 2 seasons. If he's average you can draft a QB and groom him to take over in 2021 or 2022. You can make an argument that the best 2 QB's today are Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers. Neither guy started in their first year but excelled once they took over the starting job.

Even if we are able to land a stud QB in the 2021 draft I wouldn't be upset if the Panthers didn't rush him unto the field to start the season. Teddy isn't the reason for all of our loses. The defense has struggled to stop the run. Our pass rush needs to improve, Our LB core is average at best, and our secondary doesn't scare anyone. Our best player (CMC), and possibly the best multipurpose back in the game, has only played 3 games. Despite all of our weaknesses we've only lost two games by more than a score (both to Tampa). Our record may end up being worse than, or equal to, last years (5-11) but this team is lot more fun to watch; and actually appears poised to take major steps forward over the next couple of years. But, in order to take that step the Panthers need a QB who can pull things out in the clutch. I hope we can get someone to build around in the 1st or  2nd round of this years draft.

6 hours ago, Toomers said:

You asked for an example of an alternative while trying to justify a move that will set the franchise back another year(at least). I gave you one. 

I asked for a $3m/year guy who could be a mentor and possibly franchise QB. I don't think Dalton qualifies. Neither did the Panthers. Good for them.

34 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

I asked for a $3m/year guy who could be a mentor and possibly franchise QB. I don't think Dalton qualifies. Neither did the Panthers. Good for them.

Of course you don’t. It shatters your fantasy. But you give no legit reason just choosing “cause I said so” as the only basis. Nicely done. 

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Of course you don’t. It shatters your fantasy. But you give no legit reason just choosing “cause I said so” as the only basis. Nicely done. 

I don't have a fantasy. It's pretty well known. I'm not justifying it or saying it was the best move. I'm saying, Brady, who is 30 years old and not the most experienced coach in the world, chose TB because he thought he could be a franchise guy. I'm not shocked that Brady was wrong and I'm not gonna hate on TB for not being something he isn't. I'm fine with it as long as Brady learns from his mistake. 

That's actually all I've been saying in any of these whiny ass threads.

Archived