• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't want to be stupid, OK!

Diehardpanther02

13 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Let me flip that quote on it's head just for a minute.

Our 2020 draft was one of our best in a long time.  If you read that quote as written, it says that Marty picked all those guys with little to no input from Rhule.

I'm not in any way saying we should have kept Marty . . . I'm just saying that the level of spin coming out of Panthertown is incredibly high.  Take everything said with an entire shaker of salt.

Agreed.  I have no problem moving on from Hurney.  Overall, his track record in the draft has been a mixed bag.  Certainly good at nailing the first rounders, but has been inconsistent picking well in later rounds (or is that a reflection of coaching/player development on the back end)?  But where he has mostly struggled has in been in roster construction and salary cap management.  All in all, we certainly could find a better general manager.

All that being said, it's not a good look for Tepper to say there needs to be an alignment between head coach and general manager when he could have brought in a new general manager when he hired Rhule. Tepper is the one ultimately in charge of these decisions, so it's his failing if that should have been done but wasn't.

1 minute ago, woahfraze said:

Agreed.  I have no problem moving on from Hurney.  Overall, his track record in the draft has been a mixed bag.  Certainly good at nailing the first rounders, but has been inconsistent picking well in later rounds (or is that a reflection of coaching/player development on the back end)?  But where he has mostly struggled has in been in roster construction and salary cap management.  All in all, we certainly could find a better general manager.

All that being said, it's not a good look for Tepper to say there needs to be an alignment between head coach and general manager when he could have brought in a new general manager when he hired Rhule. Tepper is the one ultimately in charge of these decisions, so it's his failing if that should have been done but wasn't.

I agree with you on this. However, I think the driving force behind this decision to keep Hurney was a new coaching staff and unusual offseason due to the pandemic. With all the uncertainty, Tepper erred on the side of continuity especially with the draft and FA being handled by a new staff. Otherwise, Hurney would've been shown the door shortly after Rivera left IMO.

Tepper believes in research and data and not making rash/immediate decisions.

Putting the logo on the 50-yard line? No need to fret about something that's cosmetic, just take care of it.

Question is whether we would be having this conversation if we had managed to win those handful of games that were within our grasp and were in playoff contention, or if a decision on Hurney was always next up at the end of this season regardless of outcome. 

I believe that Tepper had enough information to make this particular decision at any time he felt it was right to do so, but there were more important decisions that needed to be made before he pulled the Hurney Trigger. 

9 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

I agree to an extent and believe this was going to be the eventual outcome. However, I think Tepper's decision to hang onto Marty had more to do with uncertainty of the offseason due to the pandemic and a new coaching staff. Both of these factors caused him to err on the side of continuity IMO.

I said it before, I’ll say it again, half assed rebuilds do not work

Starting year 3 for Tepper and he should have cleaned house that day.  I get the argument about the scouts and the timing etc, but he neither did himself, the fans or the team any favors 

Hurney extended Thompson, CMC and traded up for a LT that’s going to be cut. If he as involved in Bridgewater, he should have been hog tied 

27 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Let me flip that quote on it's head just for a minute.

Our 2020 draft was one of our best in a long time.  If you read that quote as written, it says that Marty picked all those guys with little to no input from Rhule.

I'm not in any way saying we should have kept Marty . . . I'm just saying that the level of spin coming out of Panthertown is incredibly high.  Take everything said with an entire shaker of salt.

Yeah, as someone else mentioned, he was talking about input on the GM.

Rhule was reported you have had plenty of input on the draft and since. Our buddy Verge actually said he has final roster say right now.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He did also have a quote about people saying it should have been done sooner.

Tepper keeps making better decisions, just wonder what takes him so long, and is he learning?

He has now stated multiple times that he should have handled things differently in hindsight...just strange that he keeps on making mistake after mistake.

5 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Tepper keeps making better decisions, just wonder what takes him so long, and is he learning?

He has now stated multiple times that he should have handled things differently in hindsight...just strange that he keeps on making mistake after mistake.

I'd say admitting mistakes is a good thing though.

It's a sign that he is learning.

Just now, thefuzz said:

No doubt.  Seems like the kind of guy who needs to touch the hot stove a couple times before learning his lesson though.

Fair point.

By all accounts, Tepper was said to really like Marty personally. And he did speak respectfully of him in public, minus the "well, let's not give him that big a compliment" statement.

My belief was that if we parted ways with him, they'd let him "retire" publicly to save face.

Sure as heck didn't see him being fired with games still left on the schedule.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair point.

By all accounts, Tepper was said to really like Marty personally. And he did speak respectfully of him in public, minus the "well, let's not give him that big a compliment" statement.

My belief was that if we parted ways with him, they'd let him "retire" publicly to save face.

Sure as heck didn't see him being fired with games still left on the schedule.

Me either, was pretty sure he would still be here for the upcoming draft...thank God that's not happening.

Archived