• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Its OK to reach for a QB

AU-panther

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I do wonder what might happen if say Rogers gets injured next year, misses a significant amount of time, and Love comes in and plays well.  Rogers might become available, ala Brett F or Peyton Manning.  

Dream scenario for GB. They trade Rodgers and roll with Love.

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I do wonder what might happen if say Rogers gets injured next year, misses a significant amount of time, and Love comes in and plays well.  Rogers might become available, ala Brett F or Peyton Manning.  

And I wonder what happens if Love comes in and looks poorly and Rodgers doesn’t decide to hang around for another 4-5 years and they are stuck replacing a ball of famer but they aren’t close to having a top 10 pick by the time he leaves GB. 

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Have you looked at the '22 draft class? Unless some guys come out of nowhere, it's basically Sam Howell and a bunch meh.

Would highly recommend looking at available UFAs and possible cap casualties.

Not as ideal as drafting "the guy" but options are available that will be an immediate upgrade over our current room (that can also be covered and then some by what's freed up from releasing Teddy)

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

He's signed through 2023. 

Regardless of how long he is signed for, he can be cut with a significant cap savings Aafter next season.  If he is injured and Love comes in and plays well for them, I could see Rogers being cut regardless of how long he is signed for.

That being said, this is a dream scenario, and I wasn't really serious.  Even if he did get cut, the chances of him coming here are slim.  A more high profile team like New England or Pittsburgh would be more likely.  

51 minutes ago, Varking said:

That’s only if he turns out to be a good QB down the road. There are many questions with that. I don’t fault them for drafting a QB at all. I’m just not sold on Love the same way I’m not sold on Lance. 

I think he will, especially after sitting 2-3+ years in that system just like Rodgers did under Favre. I'm 100% convinced that Rodgers wouldn't be a GOAT candidate if he didn't sit early in his career. He'd still be a great QB, but taking that time to learn the position at this level like that is invaluable.

Lance is a better prospect than Love, certainly. That's why he'll go top 5-10 and Love was at the end of the 1st round.

10 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Regardless of how long he is signed for, he can be cut with a significant cap savings Aafter next season.  If he is injured and Love comes in and plays well for them, I could see Rogers being cut regardless of how long he is signed for.

That being said, this is a dream scenario, and I wasn't really serious.  Even if he did get cut, the chances of him coming here are slim.  A more high profile team like New England or Pittsburgh would be more likely.  

I highly doubt you'd see him cut. Favre was traded for a conditional draft pick that ended up being a 3rd. They'd trade him. One, to get draft capital. Two, to have some control over where he goes. The Packers didn't want the Vikings to end up with Favre. He ended up there anyway, but they were able to dealt it a year.  All three of the Packers' division rivals could potentially be interested in Rodgers and the Packers wouldn't want to see him playing for any of them.

15 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think he will, especially after sitting 2-3+ years in that system just like Rodgers did under Favre. I'm 100% convinced that Rodgers wouldn't be a GOAT candidate if he didn't sit early in his career. He'd still be a great QB, but taking that time to learn the position at this level like that is invaluable.

Lance is a better prospect than Love, certainly. That's why he'll go top 5-10 and Love was at the end of the 1st round.

I respect it. I just think Love was destined to be a bust. 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I highly doubt you'd see him cut. Favre was traded for a conditional draft pick that ended up being a 3rd. They'd trade him. One, to get draft capital. Two, to have some control over where he goes. The Packers didn't want the Vikings to end up with Favre. He ended up there anyway, but they were able to dealt it a year.  All three of the Packers' division rivals could potentially be interested in Rodgers and the Packers wouldn't want to see him playing for any of them.

You might be right about the trade being more likely.  A quarterback needy team with all the remaining pieces would probably be willing to trade for him.  

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Have you looked at the '22 draft class? Unless some guys come out of nowhere, it's basically Sam Howell and a bunch meh.

I haven't but I still stand by my thoughts. We need to build a team. One or 2 injuries to a "top" player or so, kills everything every time. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you don't have a QB you don't have a team. Can't say that about any other position.

I hear you. But even Teddy with a solid O-line and CMC not hurt, and a solid defense, with those WR's should win us 11-12 games. Who knows, when the cap goes back up and we have enough young guys, we should have plenty of cap space to sign a great vet that some teams can't afford. QB's are getting expensive. 

14 minutes ago, musicman said:

I hear you. But even Teddy with a solid O-line and CMC not hurt, and a solid defense, with those WR's should win us 11-12 games. Who knows, when the cap goes back up and we have enough young guys, we should have plenty of cap space to sign a great vet that some teams can't afford. QB's are getting expensive. 

If there's a top 5 NFL defense on the other side, maybe. But we've seen that if it comes down to needing a drive Teddy is gonna deliver the L. You need the best roster in the NFL to get Teddy to 11 or 12 Ws.

Archived