• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Early pulse check: Curtis won't take a hometown discount, what do we do?

Rags

One thing is for certain, Curtis has changed a lot of minds around here on the Huddle.  He went from not worthy of a 2nd round pick, to doesn't fit as a WR, to just a gimmick play player, to stone hands, to needs to run routes better and now to we can't afford to keep him. 

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

One thing is for certain, Curtis has changed a lot of minds around here on the Huddle.  He went from not worthy of a 2nd round pick, to doesn't fit as a WR, to just a gimmick play player, to stone hands, to needs to run routes better and now to we can't afford to keep him. 

If he was a stud, we could afford to keep him. We can't afford to keep him because we're strong at WR and his skill set is largely redundant with CMC's. That's why I never liked the draft pick. After taking CMC in the 1st we basically turned around and drafted a poor man's CMC in the 2nd. We did the same thing at WR with KB in the 1st, then Funchess in the 2nd the very next year.

If we knew he was gone, and didn't trade him at the deadline...Hurney magic. 

At this point, looking like a sunk cost.  He's going to get paid more than we should be willing.  FWIW, also don't think I'd invest a ton in a player balling out in a contract year. Let someone else make that mistake where they probably won't get a good return on the investment. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he was a stud, we could afford to keep him. We can't afford to keep him because we're strong at WR and his skill set is largely redundant with CMC's. That's why I never liked the draft pick. After taking CMC in the 1st we basically turned around and drafted a poor man's CMC in the 2nd. We did the same thing at WR with KB in the 1st, then Funchess in the 2nd the very next year.

Curtis may get some crazy money thrown his way by some team with tons of cap space, but this was his best season and didn't produce a 1000 yard receiving season.  We will probably offer him a contract based off average #2 WR annual salary. If that's not good enough or another team wants to pay him significantly more, then so be it.

While Samuel can play RB, he's now a WR that takes a few snaps out of the backfield.  KB and Funchess played the same position, so it's not completely apples to apples.

23 minutes ago, chbright said:

16 mill this year for a wr franchise tag. I don't do that. I'm not sold that he is worth that here.  If some other team with cap space and a lot of cheap players wants to have him, sucks but he can go. Time to have extended him was after 2019. That way you can pay little less, he gets more in 2020 thru 2022 and can also likely get a good 3rd contract too.

franchise Moton, sign Curtis to 8-10 mill extension.....

This draft is pretty loaded at WR and we have to remember, Samuel was a #3.  A lot of his success was due to a relationship (chemistry) with Bridgewater (due to his slot routes) and the fact that he had 2 stud WRs on the outside taking the #1 and #2 CBs and a Safety.  He was getting nickels, SS, and LBs.

I would LOVE to have him, but I want to see what Bayless can do (remember him) and maybe a rookie. 

There is one thing I would do that they will not do---to keep Samuel, cut Thompson.   Carter has been really good and we can draft someone like Surratt, Werner, etc. to replace him.  With the savings, sign Curtis.  I feel Samuel is more of a difference - maker than Thompson, an overpaid LB.

Archived