• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remote learning has been a failure per CMS

Ja  Rhule

1 hour ago, Cookie Lyon said:

They usually turn into trying to guilt the teachers to basically risk their lives for in-person learning with no plan in sight of when teachers and staff will be vaccinated.

This all day. And, to be quite honest, why aren't educators considered "essential employees" and why weren't they part of the first groups to be vaccinated?

1 hour ago, Cookie Lyon said:

It just seems like most school districts are in a rush to bring everyone back in-person because they think the teachers are "getting off easy" with remote learning when that's not the case at all.

"Teachers only work 9 months out of the year, anyway...." (bullshit)

Here's what's not being said:

"I'm tired of my kid being home and I have to adjust my schedule. Put 'em back in school so I can get on with my life."

"I can't afford day care and I depend on the school for that."

"It's not my job to teach my kids or make sure they're getting their studies done."

As someone who experienced COVID, I can unequivocally state that if I had a kid, they would not be in school until I decided it was safe, I don't care if he/she would have to repeat if there was no remote learning option. 

The other elephant in the room not many want to discuss is the lack of infrastructure and resources within the under-served communities to have a successful remote learning experience. It's not as simple as handing out laptops and showing kids how to log in. I could go on for a couple pages on that subject alone.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

21 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

This all day. And, to be quite honest, why aren't educators considered "essential employees" and why weren't they part of the first groups to be vaccinated?

"Teachers only work 9 months out of the year, anyway...." (bullshit)

Here's what's not being said:

"I'm tired of my kid being home and I have to adjust my schedule. Put 'em back in school so I can get on with my life."

"I can't afford day care and I depend on the school for that."

"It's not my job to teach my kids or make sure they're getting their studies done."

As someone who experienced COVID, I can unequivocally state that if I had a kid, they would not be in school until I decided it was safe, I don't care if he/she would have to repeat if there was no remote learning option. 

The other elephant in the room not many want to discuss is the lack of infrastructure and resources within the under-served communities to have a successful remote learning experience. It's not as simple as handing out laptops and showing kids how to log in. I could go on for a couple pages on that subject alone.

Infrastructure and resources cannot always fix terrible homes.  

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-students-left-behind-by-remote-learning

David Brooks is dead on

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/opinion/coronavirus-schools-unions.html

1 hour ago, Whatev said:

Which is why I finished my post with this statement:

"It's not as simple as handing out laptops and showing kids how to log in. I could go on for a couple pages on that subject alone."

And the NY Times op-ed is not indicative of anything but the NY system and, therefore, cannot and should not be applied to a thread discussing the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. It's nothing more than an attempt to blame the effect of the pandemic on organized labor, which is childish, at best, regardless of the locale.

The school system is not the cause, it's the effect of the pandemic. As I said before, it's no different than the restaurant industry, travel and tourism, brick & mortar retail. Just like those industries, the education system has also fallen prey to the pandemic.

Stop trying to put this on the teachers, school districts and the like and start acting like this is a real world health care crisis.

Edited by Anybodyhome

42 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Which is why I finished my post with this statement:

"It's not as simple as handing out laptops and showing kids how to log in. I could go on for a couple pages on that subject alone."

And the NY Times op-ed is not indicative of anything but the NY system and, therefore, cannot and should not be applied to a thread discussing the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. It's nothing more than an attempt to blame the effect of the pandemic on organized labor, which is childish, at best, regardless of the locale.

The school system is not the cause, it's the effect of the pandemic. As I said before, it's no different than the restaurant industry, travel and tourism, brick & mortar retail. Just like those industries, the education system has also fallen prey to the pandemic.

Stop trying to put this on the teachers, school districts and the like and start acting like this is a real world health care crisis.

Put teachers at the top of the vaccine list if it’s a health concern.  If they refuse the vaccine, fire them and move on.  Get back to work.  Health care workers can, so can they.

1 hour ago, Whatev said:

Put teachers at the top of the vaccine list if it’s a health concern.  If they refuse the vaccine, fire them and move on.  Get back to work.  Health care workers can, so can they.

What do you mean when you say, "... if it's a health concern?" You don't think it's a health concern?

Tell that to the people who are deciding who gets the shot and when.

I said this is my first post on the subject- teachers/administrators/staff/operational personnel should have been placed in the first groups for vaccines. However, they weren't and they can't be held accountable for someone else's mistake.

Again, stop blaming the education system and start understanding the time for blame is over, gone, past and too late. 433,000 dead in this country as of this morning and you're still trying to blame people and telling people to go back to work. It's a fugging pandemic- it's a health care crisis.

14 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

What do you mean when you say, "... if it's a health concern?" You don't think it's a health concern?

Tell that to the people who are deciding who gets the shot and when.

I said this is my first post on the subject- teachers/administrators/staff/operational personnel should have been placed in the first groups for vaccines. However, they weren't and they can't be held accountable for someone else's mistake.

Again, stop blaming the education system and start understanding the time for blame is over, gone, past and too late. 433,000 dead in this country as of this morning and you're still trying to blame people and telling people to go back to work. It's a fugging pandemic- it's a health care crisis.

For the kids.  Either get them back in or they should not promote any children and force them to repeat the grade.  Cause Covid.  This will be the console-idiot generation.  

1 hour ago, Whatev said:

For the kids.  Either get them back in or they should not promote any children and force them to repeat the grade.  Cause Covid.  This will be the console-idiot generation.  

you got kids?  

that certainly doesn't sound like addressing a problem that actually is putting the kids best interest first IMO.   Some kids will have drastically fallen behind.  Some won't have.  Treating them all the same in that manner is just creating even more problems.   

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

you got kids?  

that certainly doesn't sound like addressing a problem that actually is putting the kids best interest first IMO.   Some kids will have drastically fallen behind.  Some won't have.  Treating them all the same in that manner is just creating even more problems.   

Two.  One in college and one in-person private HS.  I'm concerned about the ones left behind.  I'm not concerned about mine.  We have made choices to ensure the one in HS isn't going to be one of the one's struggling.  The push to get more and more kids into college and with the setbacks that grade school's are putting out, a large portion of time in college will have to be dedicated to bringing remedial students up to college-levels.  There was already a divide in a lot of have/have nots in terms of being college prepared.  This will only make that divide larger.  The more have nots means less taxpayers paying into the system.  Less taxpayers means more taxtakers, and dependencies.  

In terms of treating all kids in the same manner causing more problems?  This is why school choice may be an even bigger issue in the near future.  Parents that are seeing a failed public school product will move to homeschooling or private schools to provide what they feel is a better education.  Homeschool filings tripled in 2020 from the prior year.  As we see more and more of teachers that choose not to go in-person, obvious grades are falling rapidly, lost students, and counties just writing off EOG/testing grades, you're going to see 2021 a continued increase in homeschooling.  

As someone who was home schooled throughout high school, and went to college have a good career etc. and looking at the statistics home schoolers do just as well if not better in academics and further in college AND these stats have nothing to do with social intelligence (the main knock on us home schoolers)...I wonder why it failed to this extent.

I was doing all these things in high school long before this pandemic (almost 20 years ago) video/ telephone meetings and chats, virtual learning, regular 8 hour school days...seemed normal to me. 

Guess preparation and the fact it was rushed in a pandemic situation. Suppose it depends on the specific child. Or maybe my parents were just on top of it. Still thought it would do better than this.

Edited by onmyown

6 hours ago, onmyown said:

As someone who was home schooled throughout high school, and went to college have a good career etc. and looking at the statistics home schoolers do just as well if not better in academics and further in college AND these stats have nothing to do with social intelligence (the main knock on us home schoolers)...I wonder why it failed to this extent.

I was doing all these things in high school long before this pandemic (almost 20 years ago) video/ telephone meetings and chats, virtual learning, regular 8 hour school days...seemed normal to me. 

Guess preparation and the fact it was rushed in a pandemic situation. Suppose it depends on the specific child. Or maybe my parents were just on top of it. Still thought it would do better than this.

You probably had a parent that stayed home with you to make sure you are on track.  Most parents have to work and have little to no supervision what their kid is doing all day.  Not all parents are wired for home schooling or have bandwidth to do it.

3 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

You probably had a parent that stayed home with you to make sure you are on track.  Most parents have to work and have little to no supervision what their kid is doing all day.  Not all parents are wired for home schooling or have bandwidth to do it.

Which is helped when there are two parents in the home.  Consistently studies show that two parent households give kids a better chance of success.  When people put children behind the eight ball in regards to the health and welfare of their kids by choosing this lifestyle, then they are simply beholden to whatever the government can do as a parent for them.  You have taken away the power you have as an adult to teach your kids to be self sufficient.  Removes hope.

22 minutes ago, Whatev said:

Which is helped when there are two parents in the home.  Consistently studies show that two parent households give kids a better chance of success.  When people put children behind the eight ball in regards to the health and welfare of their kids by choosing this lifestyle, then they are simply beholden to whatever the government can do as a parent for them.  You have taken away the power you have as an adult to teach your kids to be self sufficient.  Removes hope.

I graduated from high school as one of the worse students in school history.  They basically passed me to get me the fug out (I was on a verge of being expelled from CMS).  I had both parents but they both worked 2 jobs and had no time for me.  I got constantly suspended for fighting, skipped school and was with a wrong crowd.  I was in the process of joining marines (I graduated in 2004).  I pulled my parents together and informed them that I’m going to enlist the next day... that’s when my parents finally realized they failed me.  My mom lost it and had a meltdown.

Edited by Ja Rhule

2 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

I graduated from high school as one of the worse students in school history.  They basically passed me to get me the fug out (I was on a verge of being expelled from CMS).  I had both parents but they both worked 2 jobs and had no time for me.  I got constantly suspended for fighting, skipped school and was with a wrong crowd.  I was in the process of joining marines (I graduated in 2004).  I pulled my parents together and informed them that I’m going to enlist the next day... that’s when my parents finally realized they failed me.  My mom lost it and had a meltdown.

Same. Except I was expelled in 9th grade. I was a bad, dangerous kid and I can honestly say that now looking at it as a past life and that’s why I was homeschooled. I was smart but I just didn’t care. My mom also had a meltdown.

I didn’t have two parents who helped. But they also didn’t stick my in an alternative school. Dad worked 15 hours a day and mom worked part time and had 3 siblings to take care of.

I can say whenever I struggled there immediately went out and hired a top rated tutor for that subject. A luxury not everyone can afford. I don’t even think we could’ve I’m sure it was a debt to my family paying for an o line private school and tutors.

The more I read about it I think socioeconomic status may skew homeschooler results more than just having shitty parents. But it’s probably mixture and the fact some kids need that social environment to learn where as some such as myself, need to learn without it.

I know an army wife right now, husband is deployed with two kids and a full time job and I know she is struggling with the whole homeschool thing. Her kids want no part of it.

• Pie 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, 4Corners said:

It’s tough on everyone. My wife is a teacher. It’s really hard on these kids especially the ones who have been dealt a tough hand. We need to get back to in school learning when it’s safe. It’s not safe right now. It’s just the way it has to be. 

Your wife and all other teachers need to be commended.  In my opinion teachers are treated like shiit and still show up and continue to try and do a good job. 

Cant comment on CMS, but my kids are freshmen at a somewhat rural union county school.  I would say the school system has done an excellent job so far given the circumstances .   They are on a hybrid model and go to school two days a week and are remote the other days.

We are extremely fortunate compared to other people.  I have a comfortable home with good internet and school is a big priority in our family. My kids don’t have to worry about their next meal and we aren’t working around the clock just to keep the lights on.    I think there is rampant education devastation caused by COVID and unfortunately we will see this play out in the years to come.  Not forcing them to (yet), but we are checking into tutoring opportunities where they can help other kids get up to speed with math.  It’s a drop in the bucket but if we can help just one child it is at least something.