• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther Fans Offseason QB Trade Quick Reference

kungfoodude

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

True, I agree with all of that, but here again that is why I said "close".  What if a team already has an elite WR?   Also don't discount the length of time left on rookie deals, 2 yrs vs 4 yrs.  There are teams out there who wouldn't give you a 7th to pay Moore $16m a year and he is only one year away from expecting a new deal.

I'm thinking something like Burns > Moore > Brown > CMC > Chinn

CMC is hard to value, some teams have no desire to spend that much on any RB.  On the other hand he seems to sell jerseys. 

Also I think he looks a lot better for a team that is in win now mode.  If a team is in rebuild mode they would be better asking for Chinn and saving the cap.

And that value is also fluid, as well. Next year if Brown blows up and Moore only has one year left on his deal(or has signed a new big deal with us) then his trade value may also drop. 

CMC's value is fairly low because not many teams want a $10+ mil RB on their team, even one in their prime. I don't think jersey sales will play a big factor, although you never know. That kind of stuff is all over the map unless you are talking about a LeBron-type popularity level. Plus we have to consider the year he spent on the sidelines due to multiple injuries have likely severely tanked his overall value. 

I somewhat suspect this will all end up as an exercise in theory anyway. I don't think we will be able to make a deal and I am doubtful we ever learn what we offered, if anything. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

With that last image, I can't believe a word of this!!!  Nah, thank for the explanation--I am one of those who were confused about this--still am (slow learner) but this helps.

I'm a slow learner too. I think we would pay the following (prior to the draft):

Watson     Stafford

2021     $10.5         $20

2022    $35            $23

2023    $37             $0 (Det pays the bonus?? That can't be right.)

2024    $32             F/A

2025    $32             F/A

$146.5 / 5Y      $43M / 3Y

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I'm a slow learner too. I think we would pay the following (prior to the draft):

Watson     Stafford

2021     $10.5         $20

2022    $35            $23

2023    $37             $0 (Det pays the bonus?? That can't be right.)

2024    $32             F/A

2025    $32             F/A

$146.5 / 5Y      $43M / 3Y

That last year of a bonus(the bonus has already been paid in full at signing) is an extra year added for accounting purposes. New Orleans has been doing that with Drew Brees contract forever. It's a way of lessening the impact of the prorated bonus cap hit every year. The downside is that it carries dead money into a time period where the player is no longer on the team. 

You have to keep in mind that those prorated bonuses get paid out upon signing of the contract. That is all "book money" and not actual money being spent(because it has already BEEN spent). 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

That last year of a bonus(the bonus has already been paid in full at signing) is an extra year added for accounting purposes. New Orleans has been doing that with Drew Brees contract forever. It's a way of lessening the impact of the prorated bonus cap hit every year. The downside is that it carries dead money into a time period where the player is no longer on the team. 

You have to keep in mind that those prorated bonuses get paid out upon signing of the contract. That is all "book money" and not actual money being spent(because it has already BEEN spent). 

What is an Aha moment?. How to help users find value in your… | by Daniel  Birch | UX Collective

Got it. I told you that I'm a slow learner.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

There's some timelines / deadlines to consider here too.

For Watson, if nothing happens by this year's draft you can basically put away that saga till next year because the Texans are said to be 1) willing to let him sit out the season and 2) not interested in any deal that only involves future draft picks.

As far as Stafford though, the Lions need to get that deal done by March 21st. If they don't they owe him an additional 10 million dollars for this season.

• Beer 1