• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three quarterbacks in the top four picks?

Mr. Scot

One NFL personnel executive told Peter King he thinks it's going to happen.

In his latest Football Monday column, King was talking about Todd McShay's analysis of the top four quarterbacks. In that context, he mentioned a man whom he described as "an NFL personnel man who is scouting quarterbacks" having said this:

“Three of those four will be taken in the first four picks. The Eagles [at six] will be lucky to have a good one fall to them.”

That'd likely put Miami (pick 3) as the team not taking a quarterback.

King also mentioned that McShay has Trey Lance, not Justin Fields, rated as the third best quarterback.

If the Eagles would be "lucky' at pick six, I guess we'd have to be even luckier at pick eight.

I have said, and will always say, that when the game is on I want to win.

But if we're in a situation like we were last year, losing isn't exactly gonna bother me much.

And yeah, obviously winning that game hurt us. I don't really think anybody can rightly say otherwise.

Thanks again, Ron 😒

• Beer 1

The Dolphins are in such a good spot. IF the Falcons want Fields, I honestly think they'll have to move to 3 to get him.  The Dolphins could realistically drop from 3 to 4, while grabbing say a 3rd/4th rounder for their trouble of moving one spot.  Then field calls from us, the Eagles, or whoever else for #4 if somebody wants Lance there. Grab even more picks for trading down just a couple more spots, and still get the top WR or whoever they want.

Must be nice having the 3rd pick. 

Any other loss would have had the same effect.

I think people are probably more pissed about this one because it was late in the season, because it was against Rivera and because Rivera botched it.

I remember when it happened, several people characterized it as Ron screwing us over one last time.

Edited by Mr. Scot

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Any other loss would have had the same effect.

I think people are probably more pissed about this one because it was late in the season, because it was against Rivera and because Rivera botched it.

I remember when it happened, several people characterized it as Ron screwing us over one last time.

3 game winning streak early in the season felt awesome. Pitching a shutout to the Lions with our young, patchwork D felt pretty good. Barely beating a terrible team in week 16 when your already out of the playoffs... not so much.

Like you, anytime we play I cheer to win. But the reality of what that meaningless win cost us is hard to ignore.

EDIT: Fug you Ron!

Edited by shaqattaq

There's a reason why we're so fixated on Watson. We're basically sitting in a spot where we're going to have to trade the farm to land a QB so we might as well trade it for an established MVP caliber QB rather than rolling the dice on trading for a pick to draft a rookie.

Honestly, it's looking more and more like we're not likely to land the answer this off-season. We're going to end up with a Minshew or Trubisky and we'll likely be having this conversation next year about Howell, Rattler, and Shough.

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's a reason why we're so fixated on Watson. We're basically sitting in a spot where we're going to have to trade the farm to land a QB so we might as well trade it for an established MVP caliber QB rather than rolling the dice on trading for a pick to draft a rookie.

Honestly, it's looking more and more like we're not likely to land the answer this off-season. We're going to end up with a Minshew or Trubisky and we'll likely be having this conversation next year about Howell, Rattler, and Shough.

It's part of the reason I've never understood people willing to trade up in the draft at a cost of 2 firsts+ for a rookie, instead of 3 firsts+ for Watson.  If you're swinging for the fence, take the sure thing at the higher cost and move on. 

Not landing Watson either causes us to panic trade to #3 for a guy we may not love, start another mediocre QB and we're in the same spot next year having to trade up, or we outright suck by starting Grier/PJ and go backwards.  Knowing that, I don't think there's a team that will outbid us for Watson.  Tepper has a hard on for him, Fitterer comes from Seattle where 2 firsts were tossed out for a safety...nobody is outbidding us if it comes to it IMO. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Albert Breer is characterizing Tepper as "obsessed" with getting a quarterback.

If Fitterer and Rhule were to decide there's not a great option this year, I wonder how those conversations would go.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Albert Breer is characterizing Tepper as "obsessed" with getting a quarterback.

If Fitterer and Rhule were to decide there's not a great option this year, I wonder how those conversations would go.

There may be no decision as it could essentially be made for us. If you throw everything you have into an offer for Watson and/or a trade up the draft board and don't get any takers, what else could you do? I have to think Tepper is likely involved in the process so if even he is like "Eh... we can't do anymore than THAT" on these offers then it is what it is. Honestly, in that situation, I think the only options we'd have left are of the Minshew trade or Trubisky signing variety.