• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold

unicar15

https://catcrave.com/2021/02/11/sam-darnold-3-reasons-good-fit-carolina-panthers/amp/

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/11/panthers-called-jets-sam-darnold-trade/amp/

Back in early February it was a popular opinion that the Panthers could try and trade for Darnold. What are thoughts on that and any chance this starts back up with the Watson situation ongoing? 

Personally...I think if Darnold was in this class he’d be QB2 behind Lawrence. Not sure what happened with him at NYJ but I think it was likely out of his control. He always seemed to me to be a guy who had the drive to be great and loved football. 

If Brady/Rhule really are these “talent whisperers” and QB gurus then you’d think flipping a 2nd or 3rd for Darnold rather than trading up (or trading for Watson) would be the most ideal situation. Maybe CAR could have their own Brees situation with Darnold as a guy who’s been cast aside by his original franchise...only to be paired with the coaches who are actually going to maximize his value. 

17 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

https://catcrave.com/2021/02/11/sam-darnold-3-reasons-good-fit-carolina-panthers/amp/

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/11/panthers-called-jets-sam-darnold-trade/amp/

Back in early February it was a popular opinion that the Panthers could try and trade for Darnold. What are thoughts on that and any chance this starts back up with the Watson situation ongoing? 

Personally...I think if Darnold was in this class he’d be QB2 behind Lawrence. Not sure what happened with him at NYJ but I think it was likely out of his control. He always seemed to me to be a guy who had the drive to be great and loved football. 

If Brady/Rhule really are these “talent whisperers” and QB gurus then you’d think flipping a 2nd or 3rd for Darnold rather than trading up (or trading for Watson) would be the most ideal situation. Maybe CAR could have their own Brees situation with Darnold as a guy who’s been cast aside by his original franchise...only to be paired with the coaches who are actually going to maximize his value. 

I think you have to buy low for Darnold. I might give up a 3rd or 4th for him but not much more than that. Yes, Adam Gase is a QB shouter(I assume this is the antithesis of a QB whisperer) but Darnold was just plain bad a lot of times in NY. Not to mention, he is on the last year of his rookie deal, so you are essentially trading for a one year rental. That value isn't very high on a guy that you need more information on to see if his struggles were a product of Gase alone or Darnold was also an issue.

3 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

It’s hard to compare then fairly since Darnold had no help whatsoever in NY. I mean no line, no weapons, and no running game. I’m not crazy about him, but I believe he has more potential than Teddy.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, JJman Returns said:

I’d give up a 3rd for him. I’d rather us gamble on him then expect anything different out of Bridgewater. In hindsight I would’ve counter offered what Indy gave up for Wentz. I think he does very well outside of Philly. 

The difference with Wentz is that he has actually played at a very high level in the NFL and he is on a long term deal. The counter being that he is much more expensive than Darnold and his injury history is quite concerning. It's also a concern that he was as bad as he was in 2020. It was reminiscent of a kicker who just all of a sudden lost "it."

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s hard to compare then fairly since Darnold had no help whatsoever in NY. I mean no line, no weapons, and no running game. I’m not crazy about him, but I believe he has more potential than Teddy.

Yeah because Teddy got a fair shot with his o-line and he did have the best rb in davis huh, but even robbie did better with Teddy.

All I'm saying is a move like that is the old regime. Fitz to WAS way of thinking.

Either Watson for the low now or crash and burn with our own drafted QB. 

But on a sidenote he better than z.wilson...

Darnold has been sacked on average of 33 times per year and he never played a full season.  I do not think he got a fair opportunity to succeed with the Jets.  His lowest level is Teddy Bridgewater level and there’s only way up.  Darnold is is Teddy Bridgewater 2.0 experience.

Edited by Ja Rhule
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Yeah because Teddy got a fair shot with his o-line and he did have the best rb in davis huh, but even robbie did better with Teddy.

All I'm saying is a move like that is the old regime. Fitz to WAS way of thinking.

Either Watson for the low now or crash and burn with our own drafted QB. 

But on a sidenote he better than z.wilson...

Our line graded out average and Davis was one of the better RBs at making something out of nothing. He had the best in the business in CMC for several games then got Davis who was one of the top backs and getting yards after contact. DJ, Anderson, and Samuel were one of the better 3 set WRs. Two of the got over 1000 yards and Samuel just got paid after his year. Our offense needed a TE and could have used an upgrade at LT (wasn’t bad when Okung played) but comparing them to the Jets..... not even close.

I want Fields or Lance even if it involves a trade up. I wouldn’t complain if we got Tua some how. Staying put with Teddy is probably my least favorite option. I could maybe get on board if we overhaul our line. However buying low on Darnold, trading Teddy, and getting a Mond, Mills, or Newman in the later rounds would be another option. Not ideal, but we would save money (assuming we trade Teddy). Darnold can start with Mills, Mond, or Newman developing behind him. If he does terrible and we aren’t convinced by whoever we draft we try to get our guy in the next draft. I’m just saying it’s another option that just trying again with the same guy who couldn’t get a game winning drive in like 8 attempts last year after being in the league like 5 years.

2 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Darnold has been sacked on average of 33 times per year and he never played a full season.  I do not think he got a fair opportunity to succeed with the Jets.  His lowest level is Teddy Bridgewater level and there’s only way up.

I actually do think his lowest level is lower than Teddy.

• Pie 2