• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Sign or not to Sign - Bridgewater vs Draft. DRAFT

CPcavedweller

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we actually had an offer(s) for Teddy and declined it's a huge red flag. It's a strong indicator that we're very, VERY dumb. Unloading that contract for anything, even a conditional 7th rounder would've been a godsend.

I disagree. Your line of reasoning only makes sense if we're destined to get a QB who will obviously be better than Teddy in 2021, OR if we are going to purposefully tank, which is not really a realistic course of action. 

Until we secure our QB for 2021, Teddy is still on the table!

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we actually had an offer(s) for Teddy and declined it's a huge red flag. It's a strong indicator that we're very, VERY dumb. Unloading that contract for anything, even a conditional 7th rounder would've been a godsend.

The Bridgewater trade rumours were at the same time we were in the running for Stafford and Watson. 

You can't trade him away if you don't have a backup plan.

Grier and Walker aren't NFL calibre players. You can't go into the Draft NEEDING to draft a player - that's how you end up with a bust.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I disagree. Your line of reasoning only makes sense if we're destined to get a QB who will obviously be better than Teddy in 2021, OR if we are going to purposefully tank, which is not really a realistic course of action. 

Until we secure our QB for 2021, Teddy is still on the table!

It's not about next season. It's about Teddy not being the answer. What does improving to 6-10 or 7-9 do for the future of the team? What y'all are talking about when you go down this path is basically the John Fox/Ron Rivera "play not to lose" philosophy applied to team building.

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

At this point, unless something crazy happens in the draft with either fields or Lance dropping to us we’re looking at hopefully building up this team to legit Super Bowl contenders minus a qb and then doing what San Fran did in giving up a fugton of picks to secure the guy we think takes us over the hump in the next 1-3 seasons. 

the fear is definitely becoming the bears.

I'd be delighted if we were just a good QB away.

Our roster is miles away from that being a reality right now. Two more Drafts like the last one and I'll change my tune.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

One reason I like going the route of one of the developmental prospects in not-the-first-round is that as painful as it might be to have Teddy as our starter in some respects, knowing there's someone behind him that has a shot at being the QB of the future would at least be nice.

This is just wishful thinking though. I get the sentiment but the Tom Brady’s/RW’s of the league are rare. History shows you have to pick a qb in the first round to compete for titles. If we got lucky and found a franchise qb in any round outside the first we would be in incredible shape. It’s just very very rarely happens. I don’t think we should even waste a pick on a non first round qb at this point.

Just now, OldhamA said:

I'd be delighted if we were just a good QB away.

Our roster is miles away from that being a reality right now. Two more Drafts like the last one and I'll change my tune.

I said in 1-3 years while we build up the rest of the team if we miss out on a qb this year.

This qb draft class is historic. 4 qbs that have franchise qb potential is extremely rare. That’s why most people are freaking out because you miss out on this and there’s a very good chance you don’t get one for the next 5 years.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not about next season. It's about Teddy not being the answer. What does improving to 6-10 or 7-9 do for the future of the team? What y'all are talking about when you go down this path is basically the John Fox/Ron Rivera "play not to lose" philosophy applied to team building.

That's not a valid comparison. In fact, I could argue that jettisoning your starting QB because you don't think you can win is a loser's mentality. 

We're not going to play to lose, period! I want to move on from Teddy as much as the next guy, but setting yourself up to lose is not a realistic option and really never was. It's not the way to handle business! 

• Pie 1

Bridgewater isn't going to change as a player. What you see is what you get. He is Kyle Allen with a little more mobility. He doesn't lack heart and he doesn't play scared because he obviously isn't a pussy as those scrambles he made showed. But he does lack the decision making and fight necessary to get over the finish line on his own. He is also dreadful in the redzone. How many promising drives did we waste that we were gifted by our defense? The guy just isn't clutch and you either have it or you don't. I want a team leader who despises losing. Someone who won't go ham it up on the sideline with our arch rival as they go in dry on our defense in their house.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but we're already there.

Nah, Watson couldn't drag his team to more than 4 wins last year.

Everyone's hero, Newton, couldn't drag his team to back to back winning seasons. 

QB is hugely important, but so is the rest of the roster. We're not at the point where the (mediocre starting) QB is the difference between being a consistent threat to go deep into the Playoffs or not.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I said in 1-3 years while we build up the rest of the team if we miss out on a qb this year.

This qb draft class is historic. 4 qbs that have franchise qb potential is extremely rare. That’s why most people are freaking out because you miss out on this and there’s a very good chance you don’t get one for the next 5 years.

Nobody genuinely knew who Wilson or Jones were this time last year and Lance hasn't played for a year.

This isn't a historic QB class at all.

• Pie 1

Just now, OldhamA said:

Nah, Watson couldn't drag his team to more than 4 wins last year.

Everyone's hero, Newton, couldn't drag his team to back to back winning seasons. 

QB is hugely important, but so is the rest of the roster. We're not at the point where the (mediocre starting) QB is the difference between being a consistent threat to go deep into the Playoffs or not.

The mediocre QB was the difference between 5-11 and competing for a playoff berth last year.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This is just wishful thinking though. I get the sentiment but the Tom Brady’s/RW’s of the league are rare. History shows you have to pick a qb in the first round to compete for titles. If we got lucky and found a franchise qb in any round outside the first we would be in incredible shape. It’s just very very rarely happens. I don’t think we should even waste a pick on a non first round qb at this point.

We also need a better backup option, though, because our current options are severely limited.  Its true it is rare you get an elite guy outside the first, but that doesn't mean we should reach for any QB possible in the 1st either.  I think we're in a position where we need to add something to our pool of QBs and the draft is still a possibility there, even if it isn't our "franchise".

I also am fine with trading up a bit if one of the top 4 slides, or if Jones is who SF picks, I just don't expect that to happen.

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Nobody genuinely knew who Wilson or Jones were this time last year and Lance hasn't played for a year.

This isn't a historic QB class at all.

Who knew who Cam Newton was before he won the Heisman and led Auburn to the national championship? Who knew who Joe Burrow was before he did the same? It's not about who you were a year ago, it's about who you are now. The way the draft goes down is going to prove this is a historic QB class. We'll have to see if they prove worthy of that on the field, but they're going to prove worthy on draft day.