• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold is the QB, now what?

jfra78

45 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If we pick up his 5th year option, it's basically Teddy Deal 2.0. One of the most attractive things about Darnold for us is that he is on a cheap, one year deal. Even if the cap jumps, it isn't going to be smart to be toting around an $18.9 mil backup QB or failed starting QB. That's pretty much the situation we are in now. 

So, you have mostly bad outcomes from picking up his option, with just one good outcome.

We can spread that $18 million over these next two years is what I read. So a 2 year $23ish million dollar deal for a backup/potential starter. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

If Fields/Lance or Sewell/Slater is available, you would still trade into the second round?

actually I would.  some teams just wanna leap frog.  could literally move down a few spots trading down twice and still get a player like Kyle Pitts

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

We can spread that $18 million over these next two years is what I read. So a 2 year $23ish million dollar deal for a backup/potential starter. 

I believe all of that is fully guaranteed money(I know this year is all guaranteed). If so we are trading $33 mil in guaranteed money for $23 mil in guaranteed money.

I guess that is progress?? 

4 minutes ago, chknwing said:

actually I would.  some teams just wanna leap frog.  could literally move down a few spots trading down twice and still get a player like Kyle Pitts

I don't think that is likely, nor would it be wise. Kyle Pitts has the potential to be a great weapon in the NFL, however a TE/WR is of pretty minimal value when you are comparing it to QB or LT. 

If you have the chance to take Fields/Lance/Sewell/Slater at 8, you jump at it. 

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I believe all of that is fully guaranteed money(I know this year is all guaranteed). If so we are trading $33 mil in guaranteed money for $23 mil in guaranteed money.

I guess that is progress?? 

Yeah and for a player with way more upside/potential starter if the draft doesn’t fall out way (which it very well may not).

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

IMO, if Fields or Lance is there, you take them. As someone described in another thread, we are now at "throwing poo at the wall" for QB. Well, time to grab as much poo as possible. Fields and Lance are way, way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY shinier turds than Darnold. 

I am telling you like I have said for 3 days now, I can easily see now that the staff doesnt want to hitch their wagon to a major project like Lance.  He is years away from being a productive starter.  ANd I am using Lance as the example as he would likely be the guy still there at 8

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am telling you like I have said for 3 days now, I can easily see now that the staff doesnt want to hitch their wagon to a major project like Lance.  He is years away from being a productive starter.  ANd I am using Lance as the example as he would likely be the guy still there at 8

If they are pining for a "quick fix" solution(which does fit with the QB moves over the past two offseasons), I suspect this may well all end in tears. 

They wouldn't be the first nor last NFL staff done in by not being able to find a franchise QB.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If they are pining for a "quick fix" solution(which does fit with the QB moves over the past two offseasons), I suspect this may well all end in tears. 

They wouldn't be the first nor last NFL staff done in by not being able to find a franchise QB.

I agree 100%, we are trying to thread a needle here but by getting a project in Darnold for basically nothing (this year) it allows us to not have to give up any assets to move up for a project qb, it makes it much easier to build the oline by using pick 8 and hopefully our 2nd.  That also means we dont need to pick a wild ass project like Mond in the 3rd.  So if we play our cards right it is conceivable that we can instantly fix our oline and probably get depth or maybe a starter at safety in the 3rd.  Damn that sounds good to me.

After watching Darnold youtube last night one thing that you cannot say is that he doesnt have a cannon.  Dude can sling it for sure.

I think anyone that doesnt think this trade isnt a positive step for the organization is not looking at things on every level.  Again this trade will allow us to immediately fix our line.  Our left tackle problem is solved. 

• Poo 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I agree 100%, we are trying to thread a needle here but by getting a project in Darnold for basically nothing (this year) it allows us to not have to give up any assets to move up for a project qb, it makes it much easier to build the oline by using pick 8 and hopefully our 2nd.  That also means we dont need to pick a wild ass project like Mond in the 3rd.  So if we play our cards right it is conceivable that we can instantly fix our oline and probably get depth or maybe a starter at safety in the 3rd.  Damn that sounds good to me.

After watching Darnold youtube last night one thing that you cannot say is that he doesnt have a cannon.  Dude can sling it for sure.

I think anyone that doesnt think this trade isnt a positive step for the organization is not looking at things on every level.  Again this trade will allow us to immediately fix our line.  Our left tackle problem is solved. 

You are making a lot of assumptions. You are assuming we fix our offensive line in the draft(history hasn't been kind on this). You are assuming that the QB's available to us are projects. You are assuming that we care about safety(history hasn't been kind here either). 

This trade being a positive hinges on quite a few things. The first being that 2021 Sam Darnold is better than 2018-2020 Sam Darnold. The second is that we actually DO invest that #8 pick on an OT and finally focus this draft on fixing our cellar-dwelling OL. 

We'll see how that works out. I am.....kind of skeptical at this point.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You are making a lot of assumptions. You are assuming we fix our offensive line in the draft(history hasn't been kind on this). You are assuming that the QB's available to us are projects. You are assuming that we care about safety(history hasn't been kind here either). 

This trade being a positive hinges on quite a few things. The first being that 2021 Sam Darnold is better than 2018-2020 Sam Darnold. The second is that we actually DO invest that #8 pick on an OT and finally focus this draft on fixing our cellar-dwelling OL. 

We'll see how that works out. I am.....kind of skeptical at this point.

If we dont draft an offensive lineman at 8 I will throw my TV into the bogue sound.  There is no way we would pass Sewell or slater if they are there.  No way Fit is that stupid.   From what I read last night Pitts is shooting up the draft board and if he makes it past ATL than Cincy will pull the trigger making it Chase to Miami.  The wild card is Det but its looking like a strong chance Sewell can be had at 8.

32 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

One thing I havent read on here but maybe its been discussed.  But if there is some chance we win 9+ games with SD than we can kiss Brady bye bye

And?

The idea is to win, right?