• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The less they know the better.

Zod

56 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's your opinion.

The team sees him as a starter and has repeatedly said so.

Yeah they also said Teddy was a franchise QB and "Teddy is our quarterback" as recently as a month ago. Agree with your point but taking coachspeak from this staff at face value is ill advised.

• Pie 3

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Now they are going to Fields second pro day right? I really don’t think he will be there at 8, and I will never be mad at drafting a LT. I just don’t like the idea of picking up players like Teddy, Sam, or QBs other teams don’t really want and thinking we can make them something better. I see Darnold has upside, but a top 10 pick should almost always considers QBs in that draft unless you have a proven player at the position. The Niners showed everyone how much it costs to trade up from the middle to get one and the price might go up in the future.

To assume that the Panthers look at players the same way you do is fanthink.

"I see this guy as bad, so they must see that too."

Aaahhh, no.

The team has far more, and far better, tools and access for player evaluation than any of us. And as all of us have seen during free agency, not all of the decisions they make are ones we would have expected.

Could they be wrong? Sure, but the reality is that Darnold isn't a "just in case". The team sees him as a legitimate starter.

Whether or not you and others agree doesn't really matter.

6 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Yeah they also said Teddy was a franchise QB and "Teddy is our quarterback" as recently as a month ago. Agree with your point but taking coachspeak from this staff at face value is ill advised.

I don't doubt that they saw him that way last offseason because they wouldn't have brought him aboard otherwise.

Obviously, they can be wrong.

And yes, it's fair to point out that one of the major players in that decision wound up out of work.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To assume that the Panthers look at players the same way you do is fanthink.

"I see this guy as bad, so they must see that too."

Aaahhh, no.

The team has far more, and far better, tools and access for player evaluation than any of us. And as all of us have seen during free agency, not all of the decisions they make are ones we would have expected.

Could they be wrong? Sure, but the reality is that Darnold isn't a "just in case". The team sees him as a legitimate starter.

Whether or not you and others agree doesn't really matter.

He wasn’t plan A or B we know that. We also know they haven’t picked up his 5th year option yet. They also went up on their offer for Darnold (they didn’t want to trade a future 2nd for this starting QB) after the Niners traded up to 3 and the Falcons said their pick at 4 is for sale. You are doing the same thing as me and letting your feelings decide how they are thinking. They said QB is still on the table for the draft and you just ignore that part and roll with they view him as a starter. You can’t pick one piece they say and ignore another because it matches how you feel. No one knows exactly how they view Darnold or any QB from this draft. I know they are still looking at QBs and even sending staff to Fields second pro day. Is that just smoke? Maybe? Myself as well as you are always going to view it through “fanthink” because we are fans. The staff doesn’t want us to know their every thought because that would mean other teams would know as well.

• Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

He wasn’t plan A or B we know that. We also know they haven’t picked up his 5th year option yet. They also went up on their offer for Darnold (they didn’t want to trade a future 2nd for this starting QB) after the Niners traded up to 3 and the Falcons said their pick at 4 is for sale. You are doing the same thing as me and letting your feelings decide how they are thinking. They said QB is still on the table for the draft and you just ignore that part and roll with they view him as a starter. You can’t pick one piece they say and ignore another because it matches how you feel. No one knows exactly how they view Darnold or any QB from this draft. I know they are still looking at QBs and even sending staff to Fields second pro day. Is that just smoke? Maybe? Myself as well as you are always going to view it through “fanthink” because we are fans. The staff doesn’t want us to know their every thought because that would mean other teams would know as well.

Then carefully on this one: Did I say they won't draft a quarterback or did I say I think they shouldn't?

Also, the notion that the Niner trade is what made this happen ignores the facts. If you go back and read the stories from Albert Breer, you'll see that 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Then carefully on this one: Did I say they won't draft a quarterback or did I say I think they shouldn't?

Also, the notion that the Niner trade is what made this happen ignores the facts. If you go back and read the stories from Albert Breer, you'll see that 

I think it made them up the offer. I know they had been speaking with the Jets off and on. In on every deal right? 
All draft aside, I really enjoy reading your posts/debating with you. It’s never just pure opinion and I usually learn a good bit from them.

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think it made them up the offer. I know they had been speaking with the Jets off and on. In on every deal right? 
All draft aside, I really enjoy reading your posts/debating with you. It’s never just pure opinion and I usually learn a good bit from them.

I don't see this one as an "in on every deal" thing because it was months in the making. In the end, we met their terms not so much by upping the deal but by moving some of the desired picks to next year (Fitterer has repeatedly said he didn't want to give up this year's first three picks).

Bottom Line: I have no idea whether Darnold will succeed. Ditto any of the draftees (including Lawrence). I do think some of the weeping and wailing over Darnold on here is a tad silly.

My ultimate hope is that the Panthers do what's best. I have my ideas on that, but if they do something else then I hope they're the ones that are right rather than me.

And appreciated. I like to talk football.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You seriously think we'd trade a pick package including a second rounder for someone that we don't think is good enough to be a starter?

You're projecting your own feelings about Darnold onto the team because you want somebody else. I'm quoting what they've actually said about him.

You seriously think we'd see a falling QB like Fields or Lance and just say, "Nah?"

If we do......we pretty much deserve what we get for the next few years.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

You seriously think we'd see a falling QB like Fields or Lance and just say, "Nah?"

If we do......we pretty much deserve what we get for the next few years.

See again, this is where you have to remember that their evaluation of a player isn't necessarily the same as yours.

Remember there were reports that the Panthers didn't really like any of the quarterbacks outside the top two.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's what I've seen a lot of Darnold critics say. It's completely off the mark and ignores what's known about the trade.

They started exploring Darnold right after they lost out on Stafford. The reason it didn't happen sooner was because Joe Douglas wanted to wait until they'd evaluated all their draft prospects. The final details were actually hammered out at Justin Fields pro day.

Add in that both Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer were high on Darnold already, Rhule from having talked with him previously and Fitterer from having evaluated him the year he was drafted. They also went through the film of his entire career with the Jets back in March before making the decision to trade for him.

This wasn't just some last minute, spur of the moment decision.

Could they take another quarterback? Sure, but what people need to realize is that their having a low opinion of Darnold doesn't mean that the team does.

If the team had the kind of opinion that some fans think they do, they wouldn't have traded for him in the first place.

You are accuse others of injecting your own personal feelings into the situation but you are literally doing this.

You even said that Rhule didn't comment on Darnold being the starter. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

See again, this is where you have to remember that their evaluation of a player isn't necessarily the same as yours.

Remember there were reports that the Panthers didn't really like any of the quarterbacks outside the top two.

And you have to remember that your personal opinion isn't the Panthers.

It is entirely possible they would draft a QB at 8. We will see whether that is even an option in a couple of weeks. IMO, the odds of one of the top 4 being available are getting slimmer by the day.

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Could mean they doubt he falls to 8 so they went with a backup plan just in case. I don’t think his Pro Day hurt his stock in any way. It was right there with Wilson’s from what I’ve seen/read.

Yeah, I think there's a decent chance we went to that pro day, watched him, and said "Yeah... this dude ain't gonna be there at #8 so we better figure out something else."

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

And you have to remember that your personal opinion isn't the Panthers.

It is entirely possible they would draft a QB at 8. We will see whether that is even an option in a couple of weeks. IMO, the odds of one of the top 4 being available are getting slimmer by the day.

I've already said it's possible the Panthers draft a quarterback. I just don't believe they should.

Either option could work out, or either could be a mistake.

Given the choice between whether I hope they do the right thing or do what I want, that's an easy answer.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I think there's a decent chance we went to that pro day, watched him, and said "Yeah... this dude ain't gonna be there at #8 so we better figure out something else."

He might not be.

But if he is and they don't take him, I'm pretty sure the meltdown by some on here will be biblical.

• Pie 2