• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interviewing for Director of College Scouting job

Mr. Scot

I imagine there'll be more names associated with this, maybe even Jimmy Raye since he's unattached but well established and recently interviewed for the Assistant GM spot.

Worth pointing out this might not necessarily be good news for Jeff Morrow who, despite his title (Executive Director of Player Personnel), has primarily been tasked with running the college scouting department for the last few years.

Morrow and Matt Allen are the last executive level holdovers from the Richardson era.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I imagine there'll be more names associated with this, maybe even Jimmy Raye since he's unattached but well established and recently interviewed for the Assistant GM spot.

Worth pointing out this might not necessarily be good news for Jeff Morrow who, despite his title (Executive Director of Player Personnel), has primarily been tasked with running the college scouting department for the last few years.

Morrow and Matt Allen are the last executive level holdovers from the Richardson era.

Purge them all. 

• Pie 2

Bio copied from last year's Washington media guide...

Cole Spencer enters his 11th season with Washington and his ninth season as a college scout for the team in 2020. Spencer oversaw scouting operations in the Southeast region from 2011-18 before being promoted to the role of national scout during the 2019 offseason.

Spencer originally joined Washington in 2010 and served as a scouting intern where he assisted in advance scouting and evaluation of NFL personnel. He also helped coordinate free agent workouts and college player visits. Prior to entering the NFL, Spencer worked at Eastern Illinois for a year as Football Operations and Defensive Quality Control Assistant.

Spencer graduated with a degree in economics and a minor in history from Northern Illinois University where he played tight end before an injury cut his playing career short. He played for Olentangy H.S., near Columbus, Ohio, where he grew up.

Spencer learned the game at a young age from his father, Tim, who is currently the running backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His brother, Evan, is a wide receiver who was selected by the Redskins in the sixth round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

Never held a true administrative role from what I can see (neither had the other guy we were reported to have interviewed).

As mentioned, I'm wondering what this could mean for Jeff Morrow.

Edited by Mr. Scot

18 minutes ago, vorbis said:

maybe let's just update this thread with the Cole Spencer news

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/video/meet-the-scouts-cole-spencer-20363618

One of the first results that came up when I searched him.

Lotta teams don't even put their scouts on the team site, so it's not easy to find stuff on em.

Update: Official Announcement

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bio copied from last year's Washington media guide...

Cole Spencer enters his 11th season with Washington and his ninth season as a college scout for the team in 2020. Spencer oversaw scouting operations in the Southeast region from 2011-18 before being promoted to the role of national scout during the 2019 offseason.

Spencer originally joined Washington in 2010 and served as a scouting intern where he assisted in advance scouting and evaluation of NFL personnel. He also helped coordinate free agent workouts and college player visits. Prior to entering the NFL, Spencer worked at Eastern Illinois for a year as Football Operations and Defensive Quality Control Assistant.

Spencer graduated with a degree in economics and a minor in history from Northern Illinois University where he played tight end before an injury cut his playing career short. He played for Olentangy H.S., near Columbus, Ohio, where he grew up.

Spencer learned the game at a young age from his father, Tim, who is currently the running backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His brother, Evan, is a wide receiver who was selected by the Redskins in the sixth round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

Never held a true administrative role from what I can see (neither had the other guy we were reported to have interviewed).

As mentioned, I'm wondering what this could mean for Jeff Morrow.

Didn't Morrow get promoted? Although, I can easily see this being a switch with WFT. And who is our Southeastern scout?

Edited by Jared Patterson

2 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Didn't Morrow get promoted? Although, I can easily see this being a switch with WFT. And who is our Southeastern scout?

I think the promotion to his current job came two years ago.

Morrow's in a funny spot because he and Pat Stewart have the same title, only difference being that Morrow has "executive" in front of his.

What's even more "funny" though is that, despite his elevated title, what he's actually been doing the last few years is acting as the director of college scouting...

...the job they just hired someone else to do.

Makes you wonder if he's getting reassigned, promoted or let go.

He didn't get interviewed for Assistant GM, so "promoted" doesn't sound likely.

Edited by Mr. Scot