• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Whether fans agree with the idea or not, the team is basically treating him like a rookie.

Also throw in that they picked up his fifth year option for next year.

So if he plays like a rookie this year the team goes 7-10 or 6-11 will they go ahead and extend him before next year?  Can't have a QB playing on the last year of his deal after all, that would be bad for his "confidence"...

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

know some fans don't believe in him, and some of us (like me) don't know yet, but the team has shown a certain level of commitment that tells me he'll get a shot, and patience.

What will Sam need to do in order to receive a new deal before the beginning of next season?

12 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

So if he plays like a rookie this year the team goes 7-10 or 6-11 will they go ahead and extend him before next year?  Can't have a QB playing on the last year of his deal after all, that would be bad for his "confidence"...

What will Sam need to do in order to receive a new deal before the beginning of next season?

I think he has to conclusively show he is "the guy" or at least can be "the guy." That may not be as simple as wins on paper. If he starts looking like, say, the good version of Mitch Trubisky(2018) then I could see them deciding to stick with him. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Better in what regard? I don't doubt he will struggle to eclipse some of Teddy's statistics because he is a completely different type of QB. I would be shocked and appalled if he doesn't outperform other statistics that Teddy put up in 2020.

If we get down to the nitty gritty, it should come down to winning actual games. IMO, he should perform better than Teddy because Teddy mustered only 4 victories as a starter here. Even with the extremely low opinion of Darnold that I have, this team should win more than that even if it is literally in spite of him. 

Serious question :

What did he ever do to you to deserve such disdain?    🤨

Is it because he's not Justin Fields or something like that?

Just now, glenwo2 said:

Serious question :

I mean....you did actually watch him play, right? I sometimes question that. 

He was consistently in the discussion of being the worst starting QB in the NFL, so why wouldn't I have that opinion? 

And you dodged the question, which isn't surprising. Better than Teddy in what regard? Specific statistics? Overall statistics? Wins? What?

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Serious question :

It’s not as if Sam’s shown enough to warrant hope, sometimes as a fan, you’re tired of not being in contention, and you’ve been disappointed too many times.

I hope Sam is the answer, not just for him, but for Panther fans.

• Beer 2

Just now, SizzleBuzz said:

Conversely...

...what did he ever do to earn your unbridled cockeyed optimism?

He's a "Jets fan" that left the team because Darnold left. Pretty standard player surfer. We get them every offseason and they disappear as quickly as the Teddy simps did. 

I never have understood that portion of fans that really doesn't have any allegiance to any team but latches onto a player like a newborn on a teat. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, 1usctrojan said:

It’s not as if Sam’s shown enough to warrant hope, sometimes as a fan, you’re tired of not being in contention, and you’ve been disappointed too many times.

I hope Sam is the answer, not just for him, but for Panther fans.

Yeah, it would be different had he had even the background a guy like Trubisky did(who had an 11-3 season and a Pro Bowl). Almost all of Sam's time in the NFL has been failing. 

He isn't any different than our current whipping boy, Greg Little. Eventually all the potential and hope become, "What have you done for us?"

That's why this is likely a do or die year for Darnold. He has to show something from what made him a top 10 pick. He is in a better situation overall, although sadly I don't think our offensive line is going to be a big upgrade. But, eventually you just have to be better than your circumstances if you want to be an elite player in the NFL. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Conversely...

...what did he ever do to earn your unbridled cockeyed optimism?

Did you even read this at all (see below)?

On 5/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, SBBlue said:

The Jets were 2-11 last season, getting blown out in 7 games.  I was wondering how much of the blame is on Darnold... so I did a little stat digging.  

The 2020 Jets offensive line struggled.
⦁     Darnold was pressured on 42.1% of his dropbacks, which was the most in the NFL.
⦁    The Jet Oline allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less on 28% of their dropbacks — the worst rate in the NFL.
⦁    The Jets averaged just 1.1 yards per carry before contact per rushing attempt in 2020 (30th). 
⦁    For what its worth, PFF Offensive line rank:29 
⦁    The line ranked near the bottom of the league in 2018 and 2019 as well. In fact, at one point in 2018, the Jets, literally, had difficulty snapping the ball.  They had to call Ryan Kalil out of retirement in 2019 for $8.4 million to play seven games. 

The 2020 Jets Receivers struggled.
⦁    Darnold experienced the 10th highest dropped pass rate in the league.
⦁    The Jets had 386 receiving yards from RBs (30th). Adam Gase didn't care to pass to RBs, as the Jets ranked 27th with 73 targets to RBs. 

⦁    They didn't block well either.  The Jets had a 54.8 run blocking grade from WRs and TEs (25th)
⦁    PFF ranked the Jets wide receiver group 31st

The 2020 Jets Running Backs struggled
⦁    Le’Veon Bel was a disappointment in New York. He rushed for 863 yards and three touchdowns in 17 games before being released midseason in 2020.  Bell averaged 3.2 yards per carry -- the worst in Jets franchise history (>200 attempts)  He did score four touchdowns though.

⦁    Overall, the running attack was never good as the Jets averaged 94 yards rushing per game in three seasons with Darnold.

The Jets 2020 Special Teams struggled.
⦁    Averaged 37.2 net yards per punt (30th) (I thought they would at least be good at punts, but no.)
⦁    Kickoff Return  Avg 19.78 yard (28th)
⦁    Kickoff Coverage Avg Return yards 24.81 (25th)

The Jets 2020 Defense struggled.
⦁    94 pressures from edge rushers (29th)
⦁    8.1 yards per target allowed by LBs (26th)
⦁    The Jets allowed the most receiving yards to tight ends (1,105) and the eighth-most receiving yards to running backs (673). 
⦁    Pass Defense allowed 275.6 Yards a game (28th)
⦁    3rd Down Conversion Rank 24th 
⦁    PFF  Secondary Rank  25th 

The Jets coaching struggled.
⦁    In Miami, Gase went 23-25 and his offense averaged 19.8 points per game 
⦁    In 2020, Gase's Jets offense  averaged 15.2 points a game  (32nd).

With all that crap going on, it's amazing he managed to have more TDs than INTs for that sh-tstain franchise the last 2 seasons.   It's a testament to his talent that at certain points he made chicken salad out of chicken s--t and I'm believing that here he'll be making not only chicken salad but Filet Mignon as this team is going to enable him to be the QB a good many were expecting when he came out of College.

Edited by glenwo2

Just now, iamhubby1 said:

Don't give up. Never surrender.

Forget it, hub.

I'm not going to go get my ass banned because of a kungfoolazzhole. 

He can go talk to himself now (which, since he's talking with Sizzle, I guess that's what he's doing)...