• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule after SECOND Joint Practice with the Colts

SBBlue

5 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Respect this approach but I personally love the sky is falling, arm chair GM, bitch squad.  Sure the intelligent discussion is great, but the entertainment from that group makes me chuckle.  

Oh I did too, for while, but it gets kind of repetitious.  How many ways can you post, oline sucks, Darnold sucks, Rhule sucks, Pathers have sucked and will suck and Fields rocks?

I will probably turn them back on at some point.  But I'd like to enjoy a little football first.  

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The reason(s) for those three losing seasons are no longer on the books though - surely that can't be held against Rhule and Fitterer?

Rhule's decisions so far (coaching, FA's and drafting) have only increased my confidence in him. 

As for those low-level OL FAs that we significantly overpaid for - we signed both on the FIRST day of FA. Our GM / HC clearly think that they're significant upgrades over what we had and fit the system we're trying to play. 

Fitterer gets a pass until we see how this season plays out. Rhule can be blamed for last season since he was the coach.

Even professionals make mistakes or overestimate their ability. Just because the GM and HC believe the FAs they signed are an upgrade doesn't make it true. We'll have to wait and see what happens once they start playing games but from what little I've seen of camp so far makes me doubt they were correct. Then again, I firmly believed they should have drafted Slater at 8 instead of Horn or anyone else since Sewell was gone.

25 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I would hope as a pro HC , a pro OL coach and a pro GM, that collective group, already know their OL rotation.  If they don’t, they shouldn’t be here. 

what they also know is several of those players, that they bought low as Kmart blue light specials,  have injury histories and that is also why they are not playing 1st string tomorrow   They have to last thru 17 games 

I suspect the ones will play 1st quarter of  preseason game 3 at home and that’s it 

Might as well cool jets,  as that is how Rhule is most likely going to do business 

Reminder, they performed collectively pretty well last year without any preseason and a new coaching staff and offense 

I agree.  Our line did well due to plays designed for quick release.  We had the 5th shortest pocket time in the league.  If Darnold masters that, pass pro should be fine.  We were 10th  lowest in pressure % last year

We were horrific in the run.    We were 25th in YBC.  I am anxious to see how well we run tomorrow.  Between Chubba, Deonte,  Christiansen and Tremble taking the field and this wide-zone blocking scheme that people keep talking about, I want to see some big runs.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Drop three games or make the regular season 20 long?

I mean, it's fairly pointless for fans...  if they just need it to evaluate the fringe guys and such, they can just do that in joint practices.  The majority of the players don't want the preseason games anyway, and now that they've reduced it to 3 games and added a reg season game, and coaches are not even playing starters in a lot of them, what's the point?

Just more revenue for the NFL by suckering fans into paying to watch 2nd and 3rd stringers battle it out in XFL-quality football.

26 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Fitterer gets a pass until we see how this season plays out. Rhule can be blamed for last season since he was the coach.

Even professionals make mistakes or overestimate their ability. Just because the GM and HC believe the FAs they signed are an upgrade doesn't make it true. We'll have to wait and see what happens once they start playing games but from what little I've seen of camp so far makes me doubt they were correct. Then again, I firmly believed they should have drafted Slater at 8 instead of Horn or anyone else since Sewell was gone.

Blamed for what, exactly?

Inheriting a talent depleted roster and making us a tough out ever week?

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I mean, it's fairly pointless for fans...  if they just need it to evaluate the fringe guys and such, they can just do that in joint practices.  The majority of the players don't want the preseason games anyway, and now that they've reduced it to 3 games and added a reg season game, and coaches are not even playing starters in a lot of them, what's the point?

Just more revenue for the NFL by suckering fans into paying to watch 2nd and 3rd stringers battle it out in XFL-quality football.

Sadly those fringe players need these games.

That or the NFL needs to hook up with the XFL and turn them into a developmental league. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

As long as it doesn't result in LESS football.  I'm cool.  These last few years without a post season...it just feels like forever until the new season.  I need this preseason game tomorrow.  

You don't understand.  
familyguy-iwantitnow.gif

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Back in the day. Football wasn't a full time job. Players had off season jobs. TC and Pre Season were for getting those guys into playing shape. Then move on to installation. Plus there were 2 a days.

Nowadays. Football is a full time job. TC and Pre Season is for evaluation, and installation. No 2 a days.

Of course there are other differences, but that is the gist.

There was also not a lot of player movement since free agency did not exist.  Training camps were composed of last year's roster, draft choices, undrafted rookies (there were 12 rounds to the draft back then), and whoever was released by somebody else.  Free agents were people released by their former team, not marquee players whose contract ran out.

Not a lot of churn from year to year.  Unless the starters from last year were bad enough or old enough to be in jeopardy of being replaced by rookies or cast-offs, or the draft choices were able to bump a starter, coaches pretty much knew their starting lineups before camp ever started barring injury or great surprise.

You're right, the process was spending a couple of weeks getting everybody in shape, then some jockeying to remain on the roster while the starters gradually prepared for the season, and then one last, short gasp for those competing for the last roster spots to secure them.

I'm not pining for those days, just saying that was how teams approached getting ready.  Now, we have a similar process, except the preparation follows the last gasp and mostly happens in September, after the games count.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

As long as it doesn't result in LESS football.  I'm cool.  These last few years without a post season...it just feels like forever until the new season.  I need this preseason game tomorrow.  

You don't understand.  
familyguy-iwantitnow.gif

Oh no, I'm right there with you...  it's just frustrating, bc as fans, we like to feel informed and knowledgeable about our team, players, and positions battles...  in order to do that, we need to see it for ourselves.  Hard to compare and contrast when we have no context from seeing all the players, even if in limited action.

• Pie 1

Just now, Proudiddy said:

Oh no, I'm right there with you...  it's just frustrating, bc as fans, we like to feel informed and knowledgeable about our team, players, and positions battles...  in order to do that, we need to see it for ourselves.  Hard to compare and contrast when we have no context from seeing all the players, even if in limited action.

Yeah.  I get you. Tweets just don't fill the football shaped hole in my heart.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Proudiddy said:

I've accepted the fact I won't have that context or level of insight.  Then again, I am 1,800 miles away and in a market with no NFL team and exposed to one I have a soft spot for, one I don't care about, and one I loathe (Arizona, Denver, and Dallas in that order).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1