• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fittermagic

MHS831

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

I don't recall anyone EVER saying Marty Hurney was a fantastic GM.  A good evaluator of first round talent?  Hell yeah....other than that hes been complete poo the entire time.  

There was a time when Hurneymagic memes were frequently featured here. Some want to forget but yes it was a thing.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, if you think Gettleman was much better than Marty, all I can say is good luck with that. 

Fitts should be better than both but if there was anything to be learned from the Gettleman era it was that just because you are different and have early success, doesn't mean you aren't a terrible GM and Gettleman was a terrible GM. Much like Marty Hurney, he proved it even more conclusively in his second stop. Ultimately, this is the argument of sinking versus floating turds that has been rehashed hundreds if not thousands of times across this board. The net result is just how much they stink. 

I am very encouraged by what I have seen from Fitterer and I like to believe he can't be as bad as they were, but he needs to be better enough to remove him from that conversation entirely and that will take a few years, at least. I absolutely think he can be, I just need him to put up the results to prove it. 

I mean, we all have our opinions.

DG has been called in twice to clean up absolute poo hole teams.  Marty ran this team off a mountain, and DG was called in to clean it up.

Giants team was a dumpster fire, and he was called in to clean it up.

Marty on the other hand had the rare ability to completely crash the same team twice into the side of the mountain, and did.  Nah, I will stick with DG being a better GM than Marty, you can certainly go the other way.  As to how they rank next to Fitts...I think, and hope that he is much better than they.

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

We went to two NFCCGs and 1 SuperBowl 4 years in with Hurney.  And Hurney was active in FA and brought in key pieces to go along with his drafts.    There were no bad contracts to bitch about.  No overinvesting in RBs to bitch about.  Everything you hate about him hadn't happened yet.   

Early Marty Hurney was most definitely praised in places like this.  And frankly, deserved at the time.   

Yep and then we had all the bad years afterwards to see what he really was. Hence why I say it will take a long time for Fitterer to convince me. Hopefully he is the second coming of John Schneider in Seattle. Give me that track record of success with a head coach.

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I mean, we all have our opinions.

DG has been called in twice to clean up absolute poo hole teams.  Marty ran this team off a mountain, and DG was called in to clean it up.

Giants team was a dumpster fire, and he was called in to clean it up.

Marty on the other hand had the rare ability to completely crash the same team twice into the side of the mountain, and did.  Nah, I will stick with DG being a better GM than Marty, you can certainly go the other way.  As to how they rank next to Fitts...I think, and hope that he is much better than they.

Yeah, I get it. Gettleman still has his fanboys for some reason, despite his track record. 

As an actual Carolina Panthers fan, I don't miss him at all. Glad to have this next stage in our franchise history who will hopefully be much better than what we have had for the past 27 years.

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

how was Hurney viewed around 2005?  4 years in, Hurney had a fantastic reputation in places like this.  

You don't really know a guy, until you know a guy.  We don't know Fitts. 

I thought that Foxy was coaching his ass off, and we had lucked into two generational talents in SS and Pep...and got SUPER lucky with Jake panning out.

Never thought Hurney was a good GM.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I get it. Gettleman still has his fanboys for some reason, despite his track record. 

As an actual Carolina Panthers fan, I don't miss him at all. Glad to have this next stage in our franchise history who will hopefully be much better than what we have had for the past 27 years.

How many winning seasons did each have while employed by the Panthers?

How many years were they employed by the Panthers.

How many trips to the playoffs did each get while employed by the Panthers?

I'm not fanboying over here, but I gauge a GM's ability to do their job by wins, winning seasons and trips to the playoffs.  That's what I'm most interested in.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How much of a fanboy does it take to decipher this.

Panther teams set up by DG: 51-28-1 and 4 playoff performances in 5 seasons. 

All other Panthers teams: 149-187 and 4 playoff appearances in 21 seasons. 

But winning games isn’t a good metric. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, vorbis said:

the thing I liked the best was his philosophy of being willing to trade back multiple times in the draft to accumulate picks like darts for the dartboard.

I think taking more shots in the draft leads to a better talent pipeline on the bottom half of the roster. this leads to being able to make tough decisions when the season's over, and let marginally effective players coming off their rookie contracts walk in free agency.

and since you'll have the pipeline of talent coming from within, you won't have to mine the free agent market quite as much. which will lead to a relatively steady influx of compensation picks. which improves the talent pipeline.

it's just a simple way to make roster management a bit more efficient. it takes a few seasons to set up, but you have to trust in your scouting and development processes. and I think that's where the Panthers are headed.

I am here for it.

This 💯nice breakdown

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

How many winning seasons did each have while employed by the Panthers?

How many years were they employed by the Panthers.

How many trips to the playoffs did each get while employed by the Panthers?

I'm not fanboying over here, but I gauge a GM's ability to do their job by wins, winning seasons and trips to the playoffs.  That's what I'm most interested in.

I get it, you are a fanboy. There is no need to derail this thread with the same tired arguments about two awful GM's. If you are dedicated enough to defending his honor, you could have always jumped ship to the Giants with him. After all, we have some fools here that jumped ship tover Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater, Cam Newton, etc, etc, etc. 

In the meantime, for the Carolina Panthers, we have a new guy that could be our first good GM. I think it's time Panthers fans got to see what that is like.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I get it, you are a fanboy. There is no need to derail this thread with the same tired arguments about two awful GM's. If you are dedicated enough to defending his honor, you could have always jumped ship to the Giants with him. After all, we have some fools here that jumped ship tover Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater, Cam Newton, etc, etc, etc. 

In the meantime, for the Carolina Panthers, we have a new guy that could be our first good GM. I think it's time Panthers fans got to see what that is like.

Like I thought.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Gentlemen certainly had his flaws but you can’t deny his successes here. After all, the Panthers reached the playoffs in back-to-back seasons and the SB during his tenure. 

You’re last sentence is spot-on. Here’s hoping what we’ve seen so far from Fitterer-Rhule regime is a sign of great things to come.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

There is a search feature here, Dave. Upper right corner of the screen. Feel free to use it. "Dave Gettleman" + "Marty Hurney."

Have fun with your reading about bad GM's and defending their honor.

Not defending anyones honor, or calling DG a great GM, just said he was miles ahead of Marty, and that was, and is proven in the actual wins and losses column.

The fanboy here is you, I just care about winning seasons and going to the playoffs.  I'm glad that DG is gone, I'm pissed that Marty was brought back, and I think that Fitts can do a better job than both.

I'm not even sure what kind of point you are trying to make here, but it's a bad one.