• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson trade now as unlikely as ever...

SizzleBuzz

23 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Personally, I see Jameis Winston flaming out fast and Sean Payton diving into this to get a QB he can work with that needs no development. Scandal? This is Sean Payton... he has more experience navigating scandals than an editor at TMZ.

As @LinvilleGorge so painfully pointed out to me in another thread, Winston and Darnold have been the same type of QB on many levels.664131447_Capture_2021-09-05-10-08-15.thumb.png.5abbaf4839cdfb7415cc5c2ec2853b52.png

So, if you think Winston is going to flame out quickly, do you think Darnold is going to flame out just as quickly? And if not, why not? There are arguments to be made as to why both could flame out (or not), and there are arguments to be made that either franchise could eventually be in play for Watson. Of course with all the reports, and an owner that's apparently hellbent on getting a franchise QB (and would be even more so if Rhule's second project fails), I'd argue that we'd be one of the top players, if not the top player in a Watson sweepstakes.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

38 minutes ago, top dawg said:

As @LinvilleGorge so painfully pointed out to me in another thread, Winston and Darnold have been the same type of QB on many levels.664131447_Capture_2021-09-05-10-08-15.thumb.png.5abbaf4839cdfb7415cc5c2ec2853b52.png

So, if you think Winston is going to flame out quickly, do you think Darnold is going to flame out just as quickly? And if not, why not? There are arguments to be made as to why both could flame out (or not), and there are arguments to be made that either franchise could eventually be in play for Watson. Of course with all the reports, and an owner that's apparently hellbent on getting a franchise QB (and would be even more so if Rhule's second project fails), I'd argue that we'd be one of the top players, if not the top player in a Watson sweepstakes.

The one thing I will say that separates and make Darnold less of an unknown in these arguments is look at the pass catching targets they have had to throw to. Evans and Godwin are studs. Sam's best target would have been no better than Tampa Bay's #3.  

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, Varking said:

The one thing I will say that separates and make Darnold less of an unknown in these arguments is look at the pass catching targets they have had to throw to. Evans and Godwin are studs. Sam's best target would have been no better than Tampa Bay's #3.  

Good point!

On an off note, I think I'll unblock you now. Not that you care, or that I'm all that, but don't confuse/accuse me for/or of being a troll again, or I'll block you again. I'll admit when I'm trolling, but it's not my shtick. If I disagree, I'll make a rational argument to back it up. Sometimes it's not popular, I'll admit, and sometimes Huddlers hate it (yes they do), but I don't just sling poo just to be slinging it. At the end of the day, you threatened to block me, and though I think you make valid arguments sometimes--and I enjoy the dialogue--you have to realize that I have a block button too, and I actually get a kick out if using it against pure pricks (which I don't suspect that you are, but I don't know). 

Alrighty then. Carry on!

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Good point!

On an off note, I think I'll unblock you now. Not that you care, or that I'm all that, but don't confuse/accuse me for/or of being a troll again, or I'll block you again. I'll admit when I'm trolling, but it's not my shtick. If I disagree, I'll make a rational argument to back it up. Sometimes it's not popular, I'll admit, and sometimes Huddlers hate it (yes they do), but I don't just sling poo just to be slinging it. At the end of the day, you threatened to block me, and though I think you make valid arguments sometimes--and I enjoy the dialogue--you have to realize that I have a block button too, and I actually get a kick out if using it against pure pricks (which I don't suspect that you are, but I don't know). 

Alrighty then. Carry on!

All good my brother! I think more people on this site should use the block button as a temporary solution as times. It worked for us. I don't even remember what it was that we were going back and forth over. I think a lot of times on the Huddle people get heated with each other and a few days apart works out best for everyone. 

I get that there are people who still desperately want to subscribe to this idea that David Tepper is some backstage power broker who's prepared to move heaven and earth to get Watson or some other franchise QB. And I'll grant that it's probably more fun to imagine that than the notion that he's just a regular owner who's prepared to simply trust his football people to do their jobs.

Unfortunately, all the actual evidence says it's wishful thinking.

Mind you, there's plenty of evidence in the opposite direction, not the least of which is Justin Fields' current address.

But hey, if you wanna keep picturing some fantasy blockbuster deal or whatever, you can do that.

You should likely be prepared for disappointment though.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that there are people who still desperately want to subscribe to this idea that David Tepper is some backstage power broker who's prepared to move heaven and earth to get Watson or some other franchise QB. And I'll grant that it's probably more fun to imagine that than the notion that he's just a regular owner who's prepared to simply trust his football people to do their jobs.

Unfortunately, all the actual evidence says it's wishful thinking.

Mind you, there's plenty of evidence in the opposite direction, not the least of which is Justin Fields' current address.

But hey, if you wanna keep picturing some fantasy blockbuster deal or whatever, you can do that.

You should likely be prepared for disappointment though.

I'm sure he'll let Rhule and Fit run the team as they see fit (no pun intended), and give them wide latitude to do whatever, possibly for a longer duration than anyone would ever believe today, but every owner has his limit. It's all good, until it's not.

One thing that we do know, regardless if you want to admit it, is that we absolutely do have some interest and are monitoring the situation of Mr. Whip It Out (as I believe Sizzlebuzz referred to him). Another thing that we do know is that Tepper absolutely believes in an elite QB. Another thing that we do know is that Teddy was jettisoned with the quickness. Another thing that we do know is that Darnold is just one big question that we won't even begin to get answers to beginning next week (I love that..."next week"). Now I am not saying that Tepper will meddle, especially in the classic or even football sense of the word, but we also know that he's a man that will swing the hammer--err bat, when he wants. Rhule swung the bat on Teddy, and he's taking another swing on Darnold. He may even get a third opportunity to simply strike out, but I can't say with 100 percent certainty that Tepper is just going to stand idly by and let him do it. He might. But the next time Rhule comes up to bat, don't be surprised if there's a designated hitter.

Edited by top dawg

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm sure he'll let Rhule and Fit run the team as they see fit (no pun intended), and give them wide latitude to do whatever, possibly for a longer duration than anyone would ever believe today, but every owner has his limit. It's all good, until it's not.

One thing that we do know, regardless if you want to admit it, is that we absolutely do have some interest and are monitoring the situation of Mr. Whip It Out (as I believe Sizzlebuzz referred to him). Another thing that we do know is that Tepper absolutely believes in an elite QB. Another thing that we do know is that Teddy was jettisoned with the quickness. Another thing that we do know is that Darnold is just one big question that we won't even begin to get answers to beginning next week (I love that..."next week"). Now I am not saying that Tepper will meddle, especially in the classic or even football sense of the word, but we also know that he's a man that will swing the hammer--err bat, when he wants. Rhule swung the bat on Teddy, and he's taking another swing on Darnold. He may even get a third opportunity to simply strike out, but I can't say with 100 percent certainty that Tepper is just going to stand idly by and let him do it. He might. But the next time Rhule comes up to bat, don't be surprised if there's a designated hitter.

Pretty sure we're "monitoring" a lot of situations.

But you forgot something else we know, or to be more correct something  David Tepper knows, specifically that he is not a talent evaluator and isn't ever going to be.

If the current guys in charge aren't up to the task, I expect we'll get new guys in charge. That'd be the sensible move.

If Tepper decides instead to follow the examples of guys like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and Jeffrey Lurie, that'll tell me that he's not as smart as I hope he is.